PDA

View Full Version : Good SF computer games

Das Platyvark
2011-12-18, 12:38 PM
I'm looking for a good, free or cheap sci-fi game, preferably one involving space travel/ ship-to-ship combat. I only have a mac on which to play it.
Does such a thing exist, and if so, where can I find it?

sucatraps
2011-12-18, 12:44 PM
EV:Nova has given me a fair bit of entertainment.

Jonzac
2011-12-20, 09:52 AM
The X-Series is available from STEAM or Apple Equivilent...Open ended sandbox and they just same out with a new DLC called Albion Prelude.

I play it all the time and would greatly recommend it.

Tavar
2011-12-20, 11:31 AM
I've enjoyed Star Ruler, and I've heard good things about Space Pirates and Zombies. I'm not sure if either game works on mac, though, so you'd need to check that out.

In addition, Sins of A Solar Empire is pretty fun, and has a stand-alone expansion coming out soonish.

psilontech
2011-12-20, 11:35 AM
Ur-Quan Masters.

Free? Check.
Space Travel/Ship-to-Ship combat? Check!

... not sure how you've going to play it on a mac through. Do macs have access to Wine?

Weezer
2011-12-20, 11:47 AM
Freespace 2 is also a great game, a space combat sim that was done really, really well. It's 3 dollars off of GoG. While natively it isn't Mac compatible, the source code was released a while ago and people have made a mac launcher. There is great mod support for the game, with some great retexturing making the game still look pretty good for a 12 year old game and a number of full campaigns that are on par with the retail ones.

I highly recommend this game, though perhaps only if you're willing to sink some time into modding it somewhat heavily.

Ailurus
2011-12-20, 11:55 AM
Freespace 2 is also a great game, a space combat sim that was done really, really well. It's 3 dollars off of GoG. While natively it isn't Mac compatible, the source code was released a while ago and people have made a mac launcher. There is great mod support for the game, with some great retexturing making the game still look pretty good for a 12 year old game and a number of full campaigns that are on par with the retail ones.

I highly recommend this game, though perhaps only if you're willing to sink some time into modding it somewhat heavily.

I second this motion, though I'll say that even w/o mods its still a darn-good game (and epic with them)

As for mac install of it, checking the GOG forums, someone has a mac install guide here. (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/freespace_series/available_for_mac_on_gog/post11) That should at least give you a start-point.

shadow_archmagi
2011-12-20, 11:56 AM
Sins of a Solar Empire? Sword of the Stars? Galactic Civilization?

Don't know about mac compatibility, or price, but those are all the big names right now I think.

Ur Quan Masters is definitely delightful, though.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-20, 12:15 PM
I dont mean to intrude on the conversation but is the best way to get xcom through amazon or something of that sorts.

polity4life
2011-12-20, 12:19 PM
Masters of Orion II. You can find it on GoG.

Whether or not there is a launcher for the Mac from GoG is a different story. However, as with many of the old Microprose strategy games, I'm sure someone within some community has made something to run the game on a Mac.

shadow_archmagi
2011-12-20, 12:30 PM
I dont mean to intrude on the conversation but is the best way to get xcom through amazon or something of that sorts.

The best way is probably Steam, considering that that's safe, quick, and cheap.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-20, 12:38 PM
Thanks never used it before so kind of forget it even exsisted.

Akodo Makama
2011-12-20, 10:34 PM
Ur-Quan Masters.

Free? Check.
Space Travel/Ship-to-Ship combat? Check!

... not sure how you've going to play it on a mac through. Do macs have access to Wine?

UQM (Originally released as Star Control 2) is available as a mac .dmg file.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Dozens of unique ships each with unique special abilities.
Multiple interacting races, each with their own goals and personalities.
Stars to find, planets to mine, lifeforms to catalog, and *dancing* in the *between*.

Perhaps the single finest game I have ever played, with the possible exception of 3 in three.

Vauron
2011-12-21, 05:24 AM
How has Homeworld (http://www.amazon.com/Homeworld-Pc/dp/B00001LDCK) not been mentioned yet? There may not be an official mac port, but there is an unofficial patch (http://www.machomeworld.com/hw.html) to let you play it on a mac.

Knaight
2011-12-21, 05:34 AM
If you are willing to leave SF for more fantastical elements in space (such as everything listed in the thread so far) Jack of All Trades isn't bad. It's very similar to EV Nova however.

nyarlathotep
2011-12-21, 07:20 AM
I'm looking for a good, free or cheap sci-fi game, preferably one involving space travel/ ship-to-ship combat. I only have a mac on which to play it.
Does such a thing exist, and if so, where can I find it?

Tough luck kid cause the Mac sadly has no games.

In all seriousness though Ur0quan masters is good and I believe it is mac compatible and if not it's old enough that there should be very little slowdown using a windows emulator.