PDA

View Full Version : Trapsmith build?

Tvtyrant
2011-12-18, 04:07 PM
I really wanted to make a Trapsmith/Combat Trapsmith and simply use scrolls to cast the spells to make magical traps, but then I discovered that neither of them had UMD as a class skill :smallmad:

So instead I am thinking Spellthief 5/Trapsmith 5/Chameleon 10 and use Chameleon to make the traps and to gain the appropriate crafting feats during downtimes.

Flickerdart
2011-12-18, 04:18 PM
Apprentice (Spellcaster) (DMGII) or Aerenei Focus (Use Magic Device) (PGtE) will both add UMD as a class skill for you.

hex0
2011-12-18, 04:38 PM
Apprentice (Spellcaster) (DMGII) or Aerenei Focus (Use Magic Device) (PGtE) will both add UMD as a class skill for you.

Or Human Paragon.

Also, I posted this on another Thread, but I like Factotum 3/(Psychic) Rogue 2 for entering Trapsmith. Evasion is good and you can trade in your second trapfinding for Penetrating Strike.

There is also the odd option of Spellthief 1/Sorcerer 1/Kobold Paragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a)3/Trapsmith 1 just for the heck of it. You'll craft better traps. At least you can take Master Spellthief at level 6, then (the only level you should take it really). You need the bonus caster levels for the Trapsmith spells desperately. If you can take the Rite of Greater Draconic Passage then at level 6 you'll cast decently from both lists.

kulosle
2011-12-18, 06:35 PM
Its been a while since I looked at the classes but is it worth it to take both trapsmith and combat trapsmith?

hex0
2011-12-18, 07:25 PM
Its been a while since I looked at the classes but is it worth it to take both trapsmith and combat trapsmith?

Personally, I just like Trapsmith better because it has great spellcasting and it is shorter and more to the point. Although you can get some utility out of taking both. Kobolds also have some substitution levels for trap stuff. I think my build is decent since the poor caster level is what holds Trapsmith back a bit.

And to the first post, having two different spell lists will help you use UMD to great effect. :smallamused:

BobVosh
2011-12-18, 07:34 PM
You can probably do this just fine with an artificer, or warlock.

kulosle
2011-12-18, 07:52 PM
You can probably do this just fine with an artificer, or warlock.

I second this. Mainly the artificer part.

Tvtyrant
2011-12-18, 08:59 PM
Artificers are good at everything, being a Tier 1 class and all. Would it be possible to run a Spellthief/Trapsmith/Sublime Chord/Ultimate Magus? That would be pretty cool.

hex0
2011-12-18, 09:18 PM
Artificers are good at everything, being a Tier 1 class and all. Would it be possible to run a Spellthief/Trapsmith/Sublime Chord/Ultimate Magus? That would be pretty cool.

Trapsmith is spontaneous. There is a spontaneous/spontaneous variant of Ultimate Magus, though. The best way to abuse that would be Beguiler 5/Trapsmith 1/Ultimate Magus X. Sublime Chord could be squeezed on with some skill efforts and another dip for Prestige Bard, I suppose. You'd be a sneaky bastard who sings about the epic traps he disarmed, which would be fun.

Edit: Beguiler 5/Trapsmith 1/Ultimate Magus 3/Prestige Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 7/XXX 2 would work, for example.

Trapsmith is usually dipped for one level before moving to Swiftblade or taken all 5 levels in a trap heavy game.

JadePhoenix
2011-12-19, 05:34 AM
Also, I posted this on another Thread, but I like Factotum 3/(Psychic) Rogue 2 for entering Trapsmith. Evasion is good and you can trade in your second trapfinding for Penetrating Strike.

Penetrating Strike replaces trapsense, not trapfinding.

kulosle
2011-12-19, 06:26 AM
Heaven forbid WotC let you replace something useless.