PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Dragon Rider build

Stormageddon
2011-12-18, 04:47 PM
In a campaign I'll be playing we are going to have a normal PC and a dragon (not sure how old). I thinking of being Cavalier with a gold dragon, because the Cavalier can give bonuses to the dragon and does not take a plenty to the ride skill in armor (there's going to be a lot of ride checks).

I want a build that supports the dragon as much as possible and still be useful while on the back of a dragon.

I figure that an arcane caster is a bit redundant with having a dragon.

Any advice on builds?

Is Cavalier the best choice?

Coidzor
2011-12-18, 04:52 PM
How exactly is this going down with the DM and house rules? Anything on that end would be very helpful.

Stormageddon
2011-12-18, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure on all the mechanics that the DM is going to be using for dragon mounted combat. I was told to be ready for a lot of ride checks, and that the dragon could count as the Cavalier's mount receiving all the bonuses that comes with that.

Blyte
2011-12-18, 10:08 PM
The Barbarian gets a nifty line of rage powers for their mount.

Combining the Mount+Beast chain rage powers can net you some ridiculous damage... pounce+lance charge is broken (I don't at all agree with it, but it works in the RAW)... and since your dragon benefits from your rage+ active rage powers, it would also gain your rage bonuses, natural armor, and pounce.. also recommend taking superstition for even more ridiculous saves for your dragon.

Coidzor
2011-12-18, 11:22 PM
If it's pathfinder only I don't think there's a way to get pounce though.

Curious
2011-12-19, 12:07 AM
If it's pathfinder only I don't think there's a way to get pounce though.

The Beast totem line gets it.

Stormageddon
2011-12-19, 12:35 AM
The Barbarian gets a nifty line of rage powers for their mount.

Combining the Mount+Beast chain rage powers can net you some ridiculous damage... pounce+lance charge is broken (I don't at all agree with it, but it works in the RAW)... and since your dragon benefits from your rage+ active rage powers, it would also gain your rage bonuses, natural armor, and pounce.. also recommend taking superstition for even more ridiculous saves for your dragon.

So if I'm reading the SRD correctly I could have a dragon with pounce, and can rage by level 10!?

If you hear a popping sound in a couple of weeks; that'll just be my DM's head exploding.

Blyte
2011-12-19, 08:51 AM
more importantly you will be pouncing with a friggin lance... that's rediculous damage charging with a lance.

Tokuhara
2011-12-19, 10:13 AM
Check PFSRD. Under 3rd Party, there is a Dragonrider base class. Combine this with the Dragon Rider PrC from 3.5 (ask DM) Draconomicon and be a Dragonrider/Dragon Rider

Novawurmson
2011-12-19, 10:23 AM
Check PFSRD. Under 3rd Party, there is a Dragonrider base class. Combine this with the Dragon Rider PrC from 3.5 (ask DM) Draconomicon and be a Dragonrider/Dragon Rider

Problem is, that base class is garbage; the only good part is the dragon...which the DM is straight-up giving them anyway.