PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Armor Clarification

TechnOkami
2011-12-18, 06:41 PM
I've got some questions about Warforged and their armor.

a.) Warforged have composite plating, which gives an ac bonus, but doesn't necessarily count as armor, right?

b.) If a Warforged takes one of the armor feats for them (Ironwood body, Adamantine body, Mithrail body) then their composite plating counts as armor, right?

c.) If b is true, then they can't wear another kind of armor over their innate armor, right?

More specific to my issue:
I have a Warforged Druid with the Ironwood Body feat. Since he's taken the feat, can I or can I not wear other armor, say, leather armor for instance?

umbergod
2011-12-18, 06:55 PM
it functions as armor, since it gives an armor bonus to your AC

Smeggedoff
2011-12-18, 06:58 PM
It specifically counts as armour iirc, taking the feats can change it's type.
And it does take up the body slot so you can't wear more armour/robes over the top.

Psyren
2011-12-18, 07:14 PM
You can also enchant it.

Note however that it does not count as armor (or at least, metal armor) for the purposes of Druid restrictions.

deuxhero
2011-12-18, 07:16 PM
^^ You can, you just can't have both enchanted.

umbergod
2011-12-18, 07:18 PM
You can also enchant it.

Note however that it does not count as armor (or at least, metal armor) for the purposes of Druid restrictions.

actually, unless you take the ironwood body feat, it DOES count as metal armor for druid restriction purposes

phlidwsn
2011-12-18, 07:20 PM
Base composite plate does not count as wearing armor, but gives an armor bonus to ac, much like bracers of armor. It takes the body slot so you cannot wear armor or robes with it.

Because the Ironwood Body feat, like the Adamantine Body feat, says you are considered to be wearing light armor it would trigger things that check for armor, like the monk abilities. Other than that it works the same as base composite, ie still takes the body slot, so no armor stacked on.

Note that because base composite plate does not count as wearing armor, as per the FAQ quote below, it does not trigger the druid armor restriction. Ironwood is just the druid-safe equivalent of the Mithril Body feat.
Q: Is a warforged considered to be wearing armor for the
purpose of using special abilities, such as a monk’s fast
movement?
A:The composite plating of a typical warforged doesn’t count
as armor. Certain warforged feats, such as Adamantine Body
(ECS 50) specifically state that the character is considered to be
wearing armor, and thus would limit use of such abilities.

deuxhero
2011-12-18, 07:20 PM
WotC gave it an actual note in an online article as well (it was about Druids in Eberron, not sure on title).

umbergod
2011-12-18, 07:28 PM
Base composite plate does not count as wearing armor, but gives an armor bonus to ac, much like bracers of armor. It takes the body slot so you cannot wear armor or robes with it.

Because the Ironwood Body feat, like the Adamantine Body feat, says you are considered to be wearing light armor it would trigger things that check for armor, like the monk abilities. Other than that it works the same as base composite, ie still takes the body slot, so no armor stacked on.

Note that because base composite plate does not count as wearing armor, as per the FAQ quote below, it does not trigger the druid armor restriction. Ironwood is just the druid-safe equivalent of the Mithril Body feat.
Q: Is a warforged considered to be wearing armor for the
purpose of using special abilities, such as a monk’s fast
movement?
A:The composite plating of a typical warforged doesn’t count
as armor. Certain warforged feats, such as Adamantine Body
(ECS 50) specifically state that the character is considered to be
wearing armor, and thus would limit use of such abilities.

huh, i could have sworn the base WF armor counted against the druid restriction. probably b/c i almost never go with just baseline plating, and always take a body feat >.< my mistake

MeeposFire
2011-12-18, 07:33 PM
The only restriction the the standard composite plating causes is the ASF. Monks are fine as are druids.

Psyren
2011-12-18, 07:48 PM
actually, unless you take the ironwood body feat, it DOES count as metal armor for druid restriction purposes

Wrong. Warforged standard composite plating does not interfere with Druid oaths.

umbergod
2011-12-18, 07:53 PM
Wrong. Warforged standard composite plating does not interfere with Druid oaths.

please read an entire thread before making yourself look silly, i corrected myself in a 2nd post. derp

Psyren
2011-12-18, 08:01 PM
please read an entire thread before making yourself look silly, i corrected myself in a 2nd post. derp

EDIT: Nah, not worth it. As long as you've learned, that's the important thing.

umbergod
2011-12-18, 08:24 PM
EDIT: Nah, not worth it. As long as you've learned, that's the important thing.

oh i cracked open my eberron campaign book as soon as i posted the first time :P hence coming back and correcting myself

Smeggedoff
2011-12-19, 12:19 AM
Ah, I was right about the body slot occupation, but wrong about it counting as armour.

Good to know actually.

Cieyrin
2011-12-19, 01:04 PM
WotC gave it an actual note in an online article as well (it was about Druids in Eberron, not sure on title).

This one, I'm thinking: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a

deuxhero
2011-12-19, 02:46 PM
Yup, that's it.