PDA

View Full Version : Holy Flying Phibits Batman

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-18, 08:50 PM
So I was cleaning up some old files in my DnD folder, some edits, re-updating and what not. And then I came across what was to be my entry in a contest amongst friends, A way to have as many modes of movement as possible. Now most just opted for a High Fly speed saying "Oh well once you can fly you can get everywhere" I however made a race, of frogs, because frogs can swim, climb and dig, as well as the basic land movements. I think it worked out to 15 Base, 10 Climb, 10 Swim and 5 Burrow. It was homebrewed and ruled out. (Their's were as well for only having one form of movement speed maxed) So while I sit here reminiscing about the Frog-Folk that weren't. I wonder, is there a way to get a build or creature that has all 5 forms of movement (Land, Swim, Climb, Burrow, Fly) or is the only way to make a Flying Phibit?

Zale
2011-12-18, 08:57 PM
You could slap the winged template onto a merfolk.

That gets you a flying fish-person who can also waddle around...

But how does one go about getting a burrowing speed?

DonutBoy12321
2011-12-18, 09:12 PM
Some way to get the Earth subtype? Doesn't that give burrow speed?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-18, 09:13 PM
You could slap the winged template onto a merfolk.

That gets you a flying fish-person who can also waddle around...

But how does one go about getting a burrowing speed?

Off the top of my head, a few animals (So some Wildshape Forms), and the race from sanstorm that allows you to swim through sand. And Yours still misses the climb speed, I suppose the Climbing Variant Scout (Dungeonscape I think) So it gains a Climb speed equal to half it's land speed.

Some way to get the Earth subtype? Doesn't that give burrow speed?
According to the SRD most do, "Earth creatures usually have burrow speeds, and most earth creatures can burrow through solid rock." So maybe a Winged Half-Earth Elemental Mermaid Scout? I'm thinking a Winged Phibit would be easier, while not being sourced.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-18, 09:18 PM
Druid. Wild Shape should hold you over until level 17.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-18, 09:29 PM
Druid. Wild Shape should hold you over until level 17.

That works for a one at a time, but all speeds simultaneously. So you can do a running jump to get halfway up a tree or building, take off from there, then dive into a river or something, upon which you swim down to the bottom and burrow in until the heat dies down. Then you can dig out, swim to the surface and the shore, then running take off until you can reach your secret clifftop hideout. then you climb up the ventilation shaft to reach your true hideout that no one can find.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-18, 09:32 PM
That works for a one at a time, but all speeds simultaneously. So you can do a running jump to get halfway up a tree or building, take off from there, then dive into a river or something, upon which you swim down to the bottom and burrow in until the heat dies down. Then you can dig out, swim to the surface and the shore, then running take off until you can reach your secret clifftop hideout. then you climb up the ventilation shaft to reach your true hideout that no one can find.

I see Shapechange was hit hard by errata with the nerfbat. Still not hard enough, but hard.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-18, 09:33 PM
If you can find some way to give a Pyroclastic Dragon a Swim speed, they get all four others just by being Pyroclastic dragons.

gkathellar
2011-12-18, 09:41 PM
It's easy enough for a druid to do with spells. Spider Climb starts you out, Spell Compendium has the Swim and Burrow spells, and of course druids have several spells granting fly speeds.

Wizards can do it relatively easily too, since they have Swim, Fly and Spider Climb, but they have a harder time getting a hold of Burrow.

The Gilded Duke
2011-12-18, 09:48 PM
Urdunnir Dwarf, Races of Faerun +4 LA
Can pass through stone and earth as if it were air.

Then go Dragonfire Adept
Pick up the least invocation to get a swim speed and water breathing
Pick up the lesser invocation to get a fly speed.

Then just fly through the earth.

Person_Man
2011-12-18, 09:55 PM
There's a number of ways to get Ethereal or Intangible while moving, which is effectively the same as being able to fly, swim, and move through solid matter. Would that meet your needs, or is this just a theoretical thing? Because for the life of me, I don't know why you'd need both a Climb and Fly speed.

Little Brother
2011-12-18, 10:28 PM
Burrowing Claws(LoM 216) 30,000 GP, must be made by an illithid, you take the will penalty. Gives you a penalty on rogue-y stuff, effectively IUS, and a 20 foot burrow speed.

Feathered Wings(FF 210) 10,000 GP, mundane flight at twice your land speed, and a sorta a free bluff thing. Fiendish graft, so there's that.

I'm sure you can get climb/swim on your own.

Ajadea
2011-12-18, 10:35 PM
Dragonborn Nymph (wings) has a fly speed, a swim speed, and a land speed. Add 3 levels of Scout for a climb speed, and 5 levels of Earth Dreamer for a burrow speed. Not exactly what you were looking for, but close enough, I think.

Fyermind
2011-12-18, 10:50 PM
Mineral Warrior (+1 LA) for burrow speed (and DR 8/adamantine)
Barbarian 1 (ape totem from unearthed arcana) for climb speed
Dragon adept from there on out gets swim speed and flight.

or:
Winged (savage species) Mineral Warrior (Underdark) Anthropomorphic Rat (Savage species)
+3 LA, every movement type and decent stats for a ninja or swordsage (+4 wis, +6 dex, +4 con, -2 str, -6 cha, -2 int)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-21, 10:12 PM
To answer a few questions:

You wouldn't need all of these, I just wanted to see if you could make a build that included all 5 movement speeds. As for the Why need Climb if you have fly, Air vents? No Fly Zones?