PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Handbook?

DegenPaladin
2011-12-19, 02:44 AM
I apologize of the answer is simple and just escaping me, but my google fu is failing me. Is there a handbook or guide on how to properly build and run dragons? Thanks for any advice, and again sorry if this is redundant.

Killer Angel
2011-12-19, 03:20 AM
Of course! I believe it's called Draconomicon.

(sorry, I had to... :smalltongue:)

candycorn
2011-12-19, 03:33 AM
I apologize of the answer is simple and just escaping me, but my google fu is failing me. Is there a handbook or guide on how to properly build and run dragons? Thanks for any advice, and again sorry if this is redundant.

There are a lot of ways to build a dragon well. They get a lot of feats, spells, and good attacks.

I recommend considering the following sources:
Magic of Incarnum (Dragons have a lot of HD, and can open virtually any chakra via feats. Sphinx claws, bound to the hand chakra, for example, gives a dragon pounce).

Tome of Battle (grabbing a couple maneuvers/stances via feat is pretty solid. Avoid strike maneuvers, focus on boosts and counters).

Spell Compendium (a lot of great options here. For example, Blood Wind, a level 1 spell, greatly extends a dragon's range)

SRD (Spells and monstrous feats especially, but power attack is always good for offensively minded creatures. Example: Hover can act as a defensive buff, kicking up a dust cloud that obscures most vision, without using up the dragon's good actions).

Draconomicon (many feats are great here, and magic items designed for dragons are awesome).

Dragons of Eberron (dragon archetypes are here, which offer great ways to customize dragons).

The general theme is find ways to neutralize as many enemies as possible (example: Wingstorm can render range attackers useless, and check/knock down multiple enemies), and then selectively engage anyone that's deemed "a threat". Keep in mind a dragon's abilities, including movement, and expect that the dragon is usually found in terrain that favors that movement.

Psyren
2011-12-19, 09:09 AM
As candycorn mentioned, Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum are great ways to boost dragons without trying to wedge them into class levels.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-19, 09:19 AM
Try a gish handbook or the monster handbook

Runestar
2011-12-19, 09:54 AM
Step 1: Give your dragon levels in abjurant champion. It now has caster lv = bab. Which in perspective, typically > party EL + 20.
Step 2: Fly to the center of the party and cast blasphemy.
Step 3: Profit. :smallamused:

motoko's ghost
2011-12-19, 09:57 AM
Step 1: Give your dragon levels in abjurant champion. It now has caster lv = bab. Which in perspective, typically > party EL + 20.

PHB TO THE HEAD! cry :smallmad: players

stack
2011-12-19, 02:01 PM

Scintillating scales as a swift action is nice too. You know, if they weren't all dead from the CL abuse.

deuxhero
2011-12-19, 02:32 PM
BG used to have a list of dragons that worked well as PCs, though it hasn't been ported yet, I know where there is a link, but the server is unstable right now and I can't find the thread.

It also has spells, feats and the DoE archetypes plus at least one build (Loredrake Steel Dragon wyrmling into Arbujunt Champion and Crusader for a RKV build I think was a good one there)

Edit:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7qcbh4vk9frbhja9mp1f61kjb3&topic=1518.0

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3070.0

are two things of value (first is WIP)