PDA

View Full Version : I have a new player who wants to convert his 4e Swordmage to Pathfinder

7RED7
2011-12-19, 12:27 PM
Hi guys. So I've got a new player coming in, and he wants to keep his 4e swordmage, but we're playing pathfinder. The easiest thing I can think of is to just have him roll a Magus, but from what I remember of 4e swordmages (built a couple but never played) they were really tooled up for the whole defender role and had a lot of mechanics geared towards teleporting, getting free atacks, mitigating damage to teammates or at least immediately punishing damage done to teammates.

Are there any legitimate options here besides homebrew? If not, are there any renditions that have gained popular acceptance for good reasons?

Didn't know whether to post this in Homebrew, 4e, or "other", so sorry if the question is out of place.

El Dorado
2011-12-19, 02:23 PM
The Dimensional Agility feats from Ultimate Combat make for some decent battlefield mobility, at least after he qualifies for Dimension Door.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-19, 03:46 PM
A Fighter AoO-centric build with Combat Patrol and a reach weapon makes a decently mean defender-analogue.

Treblain
2011-12-19, 03:46 PM
The Bladebound magus archetype covers the Swordmage's Swordbond ability, but that's an admittedly trivial aspect of the 4e class. As a magus, there isn't a good way to get the teleportation abilities beyond Dimension Door. Just point him toward the most defensive and opportunity based magus arcana and spells and the Dimensional Agility feat tree.

Or they could try the Skirnir archetype and invest in shield-based feats to defend themselves and others, but they don't seem to provide enough of a defensive benefit to really help.

Prime32
2011-12-19, 05:15 PM
Psychic warrior?

7RED7
2011-12-21, 10:16 PM
He decided he likes the Magus. Thanks for the advice though guys. :)