PDA

View Full Version : Entering the Abyss: How do I live?

MagetaTheLion
2011-12-19, 02:30 PM
A brief explanation: our party was helping the count of a local city to uncover a plot by a drow demon-worshipping cult. We had explored the catacombs under the temple of Pelor in this city, finding demons and likely a connection to the underdark. The drow were leading an army of orcs around the city, and summoned a colossal demon, our knowledge checks didn't tell us which, that began to destroy the town. Portals to the abyss were opened during the attack, with all manner of nasty things scuttling about. We didn't have time to make it to the catacombs to escape, and the orcs would have prevented us from leaving from the city gate. So with little choice we grabbed a scholar from the keep whose studies hinge on planer portals in the abyss (who was in council with us with the count) and jumped into one of the portals.

So now we are a group of level 6 characters running around on the first level of the abyss. How are we not going to die? I did not expect this turn in the campaign, and I don't know spells useful against demons, nor spells for planar travels.

We have two spellcasters, a beguiler and a cleric.

We have a ranger that might be able to use survival for something, although I'm not sure that would even work on another plane.

Halp.

Eldan
2011-12-19, 02:37 PM
On the plain of infinite portals, you should be about as save as you can be in the Abyss, it is one of the more civilized and cosmopolitan places. Find one of the cities open to trade, and someone should be able to take you to Sigil or a Gate Town.

I'd mostly recommend trying to stay unremarkable. Keep your mouths shut, stay out of the way of anything nasty, and try not to be annoying to anyone, and you will probably survfive.

Flickerdart
2011-12-19, 02:44 PM
Knowledge (Local) or Gather Information should let you find someone who can get you off the plane (either through what Eldan said or good old fashioned Plane Shift), and with a day of rest, the Cleric can pick up Guidance of the Avatar and get a +20 bonus on that check.

Doc Roc
2011-12-19, 06:22 PM
Or you could try to die gloriously.

Saviour
2011-12-19, 06:30 PM
It's like prison. On the first day, you need to find the meanest, toughest guy around and punch his head in with a tray.

Doc Roc
2011-12-19, 06:55 PM
It's like prison. On the first day, you need to find the meanest, toughest guy around and punch his head in with a tray.

Uhhhh Nooooo... In this case, the toughest guy can insta-kill you with an SLA.

Pokonic
2011-12-19, 06:56 PM
Uhhhh Nooooo... In this case, the toughest guy can insta-kill you with an SLA.

Well, its that or poking Jubilex.

Mnemnosyne
2011-12-19, 08:15 PM
It's hard to say, because some DM's have the planes as totally different from other DM's. But in general, keep in mind that planes are infinite. That means that yes, somewhere in this infinity are things that can kill you by thinking nasty thoughts in your general direction, but there are also things that are relatively nonthreatening.

Stay in a town - there's going to be some of those where planars and petitioners hang out - and don't piss anyone big off. Ingratiate yourself to some relatively sane-seeming locals, find reasonable individuals to work for, and keep being adventurers. Alternately, look for a portal out of there. Somebody somewhere should have the location of a portal to Sigil at the very least, although you may have to pay dearly to learn the location and even more to obtain the key.

If someone has Knowledge: the Planes, it should be a basic (DC 15) question to determine the primary towns on the plain of infinite portals, thereby meaning you should know about Broken Reach and be able to try to get there. That's probably the most friendly place you'll find around there.