PDA

View Full Version : (3.5, maybe 3.P) [Mostly] Buffs that non-casters wish they could cast on themselves?

Coidzor
2011-12-19, 04:44 PM
So I've been kicking around the idea of a higher magic setting with something like a hybrid between the magical training feat and these twisted mind/aberrant psionicist feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155474), minor magical ability, but not enough to play mini-sorcerer/wizard.

So I started to wonder what 1st-5th (maybe 6th) level spells that mundanes in various roles would really wish they could cast on themselves or would actually shell out for a wand/pearl of power for a caster to use on themselves, etc.

Maybe something like a top 3 for each level and they can choose 2, or top 5 and they can choose 3? Still working out implementation out in my head, but what choices to consider giving them I'm not so sure of, since I'm not sure if I should let the invisible hand of optimizing for their job guide them or if I should put strictures in at all in the first place.

I can think of a few general categories/roles of mundanes or mundane roles an a couple of spells that each I think would like offhand, so any further category suggestions would be appreciated in addition to spells to consider and what you would consider to be something they'd need to survive, need to be competent, and want to be good. (need it, want it, gotta have it, y'know?)

Two-weapon Fighter:
Wraithstrike, Mirror Image, Alter Self, Fly, Animal's X, Polymorph, Shield, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments, Haste, Displacement, Barkskin, Lion's Charge

Two-handed Fighter:
Wraithstrike, Mirror Image, Alter Self, Fly, Overland Flight, Polymorph, Animal's X, Shield, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments, Haste, Displacement, Barkskin, Lion's Charge

Dex-based Melee/Sneak Attacker:
Invisibilty, Greater Invisibility, Hunter's Mercy, Wraithstrike, Fly, Grease(not really a buff, but...), Hound of Doom/Summon X(flankers), Mage Armor, Shield, Displacement, Haste, Ebon Eyes+Darkness, That snow-seeing + snowy mist spell combo from Frostburn, Blink, Barkskin, Knight's Move

Archer/Thrower:
Arrow Mind, Arrow Storm, Invisibility, Fly, Alter Self, Summon X(blockers), Shield, Haste, Mirror Image, Displacement/Blur, Barkskin, True Strike

Skillmonkey:
Guidance of the Avatar, Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, Fly, Wieldskill, Summon X (canaries), Blink, Ebon Eyes

Face:
Glibness, Guidance of the Avatar, Wieldskill, Detect Thoughts, Nondetection, Disguise Self, Alter Self, Misdirection, Undetectable Alignment

Edit:

Unarmed Fighter:
(Greater) Mighty Whallop, Haste, Displacement/Blur, (Greater) Magic Fang, Shield, Mage Armor, Fly, Alter Self, Barkskin, Lion's Charge

Sword and Board:
Barkskin, Alter Self, (Greater) Mighty Whallop, Haste, Displacement/Blur, Fly, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments, Lion's Charge

Metahuman1
2011-12-19, 04:57 PM
All combat characters fancy Haste and Displacement as well. Anything that boosts AC, Resistances, Or damage reduction is also good.

Unarmed Combatants love grater Mighty Wallop.

Greater Magic weapon/Fang and Magic Vestments would also be awesome.

Lateral
2011-12-19, 05:07 PM
Psionic Lion's Charge, for pretty much any melee build.

Kane0
2011-12-19, 07:46 PM
Stoneskin?
Heroism?
Bless/Prayer?
Flame Weapon?

Coidzor
2011-12-21, 04:42 AM
...*facepalm*

I can't believe I forgot such essentials of survival like Freedom of Movement or Deathward.

I believe those count in the situationally necessary to survive at all after a certain level category.

For that matter, Mindblank, though it's a tad higher level than what I was thinking about at first...

Krazzman
2011-12-21, 04:47 AM
Gravity Bow and Strike?

Weapon count's one category greater. (For Archers and Fighters could be good.)

Curious
2011-12-21, 04:12 PM
Accelerate. Extra move actions are just so great.