PDA

View Full Version : New idea for me: Krenshar character.

Mclane
2011-12-19, 06:09 PM
I looked in the MM a while back, and found something that caught my eye while looking for interesting races to play as. I found the Krenshar, which has CR 1 and LA +2 and it's not a cohort LA either. This opened so many ideas up to me, and there's a chance my friends and I will soon start playing D&D 3.5 again after this 2 month gap :'( Well anyway, if we play again I want to put in this character, so any tips on what class I should be? I think I should go ranger with dual wielding. What do you think? If we play, I'm probably gonna be made the DM and we're probably only gonna play normal or gestalt. So ideas for both would be helpful. Please and thank you!:smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-12-19, 06:59 PM
Are we reading the same Krenshar? The SRD entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/krenshar.htm) says it IS cohort LA.

But if you really want to be a Krenshar, be a Totemist! They can get all the same abilities and more, with no LA.

Mclane
2011-12-19, 07:04 PM
I was reading in the MM for 3.5. I'm looking at it right now. Honestly, it says "Level Adjustment: +2" I hope it's not a typo, but if it is, eh oh well, I'm the DM >_>. What's a Totemist? And where can I find it?

Urpriest
2011-12-19, 07:09 PM
Errata never changed it. The SRD is wrong. I submitted a Krenshar to a previous Iron Chef competition, but it was kinda silly and I wouldn't recommend copying it. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10359354&postcount=106)

Psyren
2011-12-19, 07:17 PM
I was reading in the MM for 3.5. I'm looking at it right now. Honestly, it says "Level Adjustment: +2" I hope it's not a typo, but if it is, eh oh well, I'm the DM >_>. What's a Totemist? And where can I find it?

Chances are that entry was a typo, which was corrected in the errata. (The SRD incorporates errata, at least for the OGL books.)

Totemist is a base class from Magic of Incarnum. It's sort of a tribal shaman deal, that lets you combine abilities from a number of magical beasts to basically build your own monster. One of its soulmelds is the Krenshar Mask, which can give you the powers and appearance of a Krenshar in a rules-legal way.

But if you don't have the book you can always go with your original plan, since you're the DM.

EDIT: I guess it could be an error, though it's hard to imagine this guy intended as a player race without hands or the ability to talk...

Mclane
2011-12-19, 07:38 PM
Yeah, seems odd, but it can be done! [enthusiastic, not mad]

And I can just use the natural weapons given. Like a lycanthrope in animal form. No weapons, and can't speak... I think. I can do it. My main concern is just what class and how to increase AC.

Zaq
2011-12-19, 10:37 PM
Krenshars can speak. They have INT 6 (so greater than 2), and they don't explicitly say they CAN'T speak. The general rule is that any intelligent (i.e., INT 3 or better) creature that doesn't specify otherwise can speak, and it defaults to Common.

Mclane
2011-12-19, 10:47 PM
Krenshars can speak. They have INT 6 (so greater than 2), and they don't explicitly say they CAN'T speak. The general rule is that any intelligent (i.e., INT 3 or better) creature that doesn't specify otherwise can speak, and it defaults to Common.

Cool! Thanks.

Mclane
2011-12-19, 10:52 PM
For something like the krenshar were it doesn't give penalties or negatives to stats in the info, I just roll normally, right?

Psyren
2011-12-19, 11:02 PM
For something like the krenshar were it doesn't give penalties or negatives to stats in the info, I just roll normally, right?

MM1 pg. 7:

To determine any creature’s racial ability adjustments, subtract 10 from any even-numbered ability score and subtract 11 from any odd-numbered score. (Exceptions are noted in the Combat section of a creature’s descriptive text.)

A Krenshar would thus be +4 Dex, -4 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha.

Mclane
2011-12-19, 11:08 PM
I love it! As my english teacher would say, that's bubonic!

Psyren
2011-12-19, 11:12 PM
I love it! As my english teacher would say, that's bubonic!

...as in plague? :smalltongue:

Mclane
2011-12-19, 11:16 PM
Yeah. If "sick" is good, then "bubonic" has to be amazing! We're actually reading The Plague in class now. I don't like it much. :smallannoyed:

dextercorvia
2011-12-19, 11:21 PM
Are we reading the same Krenshar? The SRD entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/krenshar.htm) says it IS cohort LA.

But if you really want to be a Krenshar, be a Totemist! They can get all the same abilities and more, with no LA.

The REAL SRD (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/MonstersK-L.rtf) does not.

It is a typo, just in D20SRD, not in the original.

Urpriest
2011-12-19, 11:26 PM

It's already been answered, but if you didn't know how to handle this sort of thing, the handbook in my sig may be helpful. Basically, if you're not entirely comfortable with monsters then it's immensely useful to know how they're put together if you mean to use one as a character.

Quietus
2011-12-19, 11:58 PM
Just keep in mind that for what you get as a Krenshar, you start as a fourth-level character. With only two hit dice, and neither of them class levels. Whereas the totemist mentioned earlier can have four Totemist levels and I believe can access the Krenshar soulmeld by that point.. can't remember if the Krenshar's scare ability is based off the totem chakra, but still. Totemist would be superior in every way to actually playing a krenshar.

Psyren
2011-12-20, 12:03 AM
Just keep in mind that for what you get as a Krenshar, you start as a fourth-level character. With only two hit dice, and neither of them class levels. Whereas the totemist mentioned earlier can have four Totemist levels and I believe can access the Krenshar soulmeld by that point.. can't remember if the Krenshar's scare ability is based off the totem chakra, but still. Totemist would be superior in every way to actually playing a krenshar.

The trademark screech is indeed from the Totem bind, and would thus be available at level 2 - ironically earlier than an actual Krenshar character would get it.

It's even more powerful than an actual Krenshar's scare ability; for one, it doesn't carry the 24-hour lockout on a successful save (you can spam it until a target fails, for instance); for two, the DC is based on a much more useful stat (Con, instead of Cha); and for three, there is no HD limit on the Totemist's screech.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-20, 12:08 AM
....now I am really tempted to make a Krenshar totemist who always binds Krenshar mask just to brag to his krenshar friend how awesome is his screech :smallcool:

Quietus
2011-12-20, 12:37 AM
The trademark screech is indeed from the Totem bind, and would thus be available at level 2 - ironically earlier than an actual Krenshar character would get it.

It's even more powerful than an actual Krenshar's scare ability; for one, it doesn't carry the 24-hour lockout on a successful save (you can spam it until a target fails, for instance); for two, the DC is based on a much more useful stat (Con, instead of Cha); and for three, there is no HD limit on the Totemist's screech.

I thought so. I knew it was earlier, if it was a totem bind.. but I didn't realize that it was pretty much completely better in every way. I don't use soul binding that much, so I have only vague memories of what can be done with it. It's even more amusing than I thought!