PDA

View Full Version : Thought Exercise, the Un-Ranger

DonutBoy12321
2011-12-19, 09:52 PM
As we all know, Ranger has many ACFs. What I want to know is: Is there a way to use so many ACFs, it doesn't resemble a Ranger anymore?

Combat Style ACFs: In one issue of Dragon, there are alternate Combat Styles.
Or, Wildshape Ranger.

Spellcasting: Mystic Ranger+Sword of the Arcane Order=5th level Arcane Spells. Or, Non-casting Ranger.

Track: ACF that trades Track for Disable Device on skill list.

Any other suggestions on how to modify this ranger?

Namfuak
2011-12-19, 10:01 PM
The one you are thinking of is trap expert ranger from Dungeonscape, which is actually pretty cool if you don't have any other trapfinders, or happen to be in dungeons a lot.

Let's see, the last thing you need to get rid of is wild empathy. I think there is some variant that takes that out completely, but I don't remember what it is.

Flickerdart
2011-12-19, 10:05 PM
Cityscape (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has a bunch of skill swaps, as well as a replacement for Camouflage and Favored Enemy. You can also swap the animal companion for a flanking ability in PHBII.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-19, 10:10 PM
Try the wildshape variant that gets rid of a few if I recall correctly

Flickerdart
2011-12-19, 10:13 PM
Try the wildshape variant that gets rid of a few if I recall correctly
That's only the combat styles, and is already mentioned in the OP.

Zaq
2011-12-19, 10:16 PM
The one you are thinking of is trap expert ranger from Dungeonscape, which is actually pretty cool if you don't have any other trapfinders, or happen to be in dungeons a lot.

Let's see, the last thing you need to get rid of is wild empathy. I think there is some variant that takes that out completely, but I don't remember what it is.

Spiritual Connection, from CChamp. Very good ACF. Speak With Animals and/or Speak With Plants 3/day.

gkathellar
2011-12-19, 10:25 PM
A Shooting Star Mystic Ranger, alongside extensive ACFs and SotAO, functions more as a gish lightning warrior than a ranger (until level 10, when it finally slows down).

Coidzor
2011-12-20, 04:18 PM
Mystic Sword'Shape Trap Expert Ranger is Best Ranger! Biggest Rock is Best Rock!

It's a one-man party with Wild Cohort!

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-20, 11:21 PM
All of these are from Complete Champion:

1st Level: Spiritual Connection - Give up Wild Empathy. You get to speak with animals or speak with plants 3/day. (Zaq already mentioned this, but I reiterated for completeness)

1st Level: Champion of the Wild- Give up your spellcasting. You get bonus feats at 4th, 8th, 11th, and 14th level.

4th Level: Spiritual Guide- Give up your animal companion. Give you some small bonuses to skill checks while you're in the wild, as well as the ability to commune with nature 1/day.

Keegan__D
2011-12-20, 11:45 PM
Favored Environment technically trades out a class feature, but it's still pretty similar.

Kaje
2011-12-21, 11:21 AM
I spent some time last night trying to swap out all the class features. Since I wanted to swap out all of them, including spellcasting, I opted to go with regular ranger rather than mystic. Here's what I got.

1 - 1st Rival Organization, Trapfinding, Spiritual Connection, Fast Movement
3 - Walk in Silence
4 - Distracting Attack
5 - Wild Shape, 2nd Rival Organization
6 - Fast Movement
7 - Crowd Walker
8 - Portal Analysis
9 - Spell Reflection
10 - 3rd Rival Organization
11 - Nature’s Blessing
13 - (unknown camouflage replacement), Healing Touch
15 - 4th Rival Organization
16 - Freedom of Movement
17 - (unknown hide in plain sight replacement)
20 - 5th Rival Organization

It's a bizarre, unfocused mess. Most of its abilities are geared toward city-living (I swear there are like three different urban rangers), but then its primary combat tactic is to change into animals.

I went with the spell-less variant from CW. I know the one from CC is usually better, but having swapped out combat style and favored enemy, the list of available feats is pitiful.

Also, I had a really hard time with camouflage and hide in plain sight. The only ways to lose camouflage are being a half-elf, a planar ranger, an urban ranger (UA), or hidden stalker. A couple of them change your HiPS so that it works anywhere, or just in urban environments. If that's different enough for an un-ranger then that will work just fine. There are no other ways of getting rid of Hide in Plain Sight. Also, Hidden Stalker depends on you having the Track feat, which we've swapped out. Aargh.

Note: I did not look into ACF chaining. If there are other classes that can get rid of camo and hips more gracefully, let me know.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 02:45 PM
That's really impressive. Makes me feel good to know that the ranger got so much variety and support. Hmm...I wonder if there's a spell-less wizard variant?

Slipperychicken
2011-12-21, 06:19 PM
That's really impressive. Makes me feel good to know that the ranger got so much variety and support. Hmm...I wonder if there's a spell-less wizard variant?

It's called Commoner.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 06:31 PM
It's called Commoner.

No way! The commoner doesn't have a good Will save! :smallamused:

avr
2011-12-21, 06:36 PM
A Sha'ir is very like a spell-less wizard. You don't know spells, your little genie goes and fetches them for you.

Namfuak
2011-12-21, 06:43 PM

Karsite wizard?

DonutBoy12321
2011-12-21, 09:04 PM
Karsite wizard?

+1
I can picture the poor guy hiding in a corner, wishing his DM allowed ACFs.