PDA

View Full Version : The Master of Eldritch Disaster! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-20, 12:26 AM
The Eldritch Warrior

Prerequisites:

Alignment: Any chaotic or evil
Invocation: Able to invoke the Eldritch Glaive invocation (Dragon Magic)
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Proficiencies: Proficient with all simple and martial weapons
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Class Feature: Eldritch Blast 3d6

Hit Dice: d6
Class Skills: The eldritch warrior's class skills are Bluff (cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Dsguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points: 2+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Warlock Mastery|+1 level of invoking class

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Bonus Feat|+1 level of invoking class

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Eldritch Cannon|+1 level of invoking class

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Bonus Feat|+1 level of invoking class

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Superior Eldritch Glaive|+1 level of invoking class
[/table]

Class Features: The following are the class features of the eldritch warrior:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The eldritch warrior receives no additional proficiencies.

Warlock Mastery: At each class level, the eldritch warrior's eldritch blast attack deals an additional 1d6 damage. The eldritch warrior also learns a single invocation at each level, up to the highest level he has access to.

Invocations: At each new class level, the eldritch warrior gains access to higher level invocations and an increased caster level as if he had gained a level in the warlock class. He does not receive other benefits from the warlock class, such as increased eldritch blast damage or invocations known (but see Warlock Mastery)

Bonus Feat (Ex): At 2nd level and 4th level, the eldritch warrior receives a bonus feat, which must have Point Blank Shot listed as a prerequisite. He must meet all prerequisites for these feats.

Eldritch Cannon (Su): At 3rd level, the eldritch warrior's blending of energy and weaponry is complete. The eldritch warrior has now completely surpassed his old limitations as a warlock and can now bring down even the mighty pit fiend with his special abilities. Starting at 3rd level, the eldritch warrior's eldritch blast ability (and all essences and shapes he attaches to it) are treated as supernatural abilities. The eldritch warrior no longer suffers arcane spell failure when using his eldritch blast (or shapes/essences), and it no longer needs to penetrate spell resistance. The eldritch warrior loses the ability to apply feats such as Quicken Spell-Like Ability to his eldritch blast.

Superior Eldritch Glaive (Su): At 5th level, the eldritch warrior's mastery over his signature weapon has reached its peak. Whenever the eldritch warrior invokes Eldritch Glaive, his eldritch blast is treated as a normal melee or ranged attack (chosen when he invokes it) for the rest of the round, which means it not only applies additional attacks based on Base Attack Bonus, but also can benefit from extra attacks via the haste spell or the Rapid Shot feat (etc), or that a warlock can fire multiple ranged Eldritch Glaives as a standard action with the Manyshot feat. The Eldritch Glaive is still a melee or ranged touch attack.

If the warlock chooses to use Superior Eldritch Glaive to fire a ranged attack, the eldritch glaive has the same range restrictions as the eldritch blast.

bobthe6th
2011-12-20, 12:38 AM
well... it may come late, but a ,manyshot eldrich blast with four shots would blow all other attacks out of the water. 12d6*4 damage... holy **** that is one jibed foe. eldrich cone for even more fun(the attack roll dosn't matter), eldrich doom for an aura of death. even if you rule that you can't use shapes that make it an area, there is some sirious riders that essence invocations can bring. utterdark blast for 8 NL attack.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-20, 12:40 AM
I like. :smallbiggrin:

I love the Warlock class, personally. I've always thought it was a very flavorful class, and it's a shame they made it so weak. Classes like this that build off it make me very happy to see.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-20, 12:49 AM
well... it may come late, but a ,manyshot eldrich blast with four shots would blow all other attacks out of the water. 12d6*4 damage... holy **** that is one jibed foe. eldrich cone for even more fun(the attack roll dosn't matter), eldrich doom for an aura of death. even if you rule that you can't use shapes that make it an area, there is some sirious riders that essence invocations can bring. utterdark blast for 8 NL attack.

Well, you have to realize the fourth attack in any given iterative is the one that is very not likely to hit. Though the warlock has a bit of an advantage since he is using a touch attack, he also has the disadvantage of not being Dex-focused (Cha primary, Dex secondary)

Still, this is a good way to make a ranged glass cannon effective, and unlike most archers, you don't have to worry about DR, so...yeah. Props to the warlock!

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-20, 12:56 AM
This actually gives me a really good idea for a Warlock/Ranger PrC...

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-20, 12:59 AM
Added in a +4 BAB prereq, so even people who want single-classed entry with Outsider cheese will have to wait til warlock 6 (while everyone else will be warlock 5/Full BAB and MWP 1)

Amechra
2011-12-20, 03:59 PM
Did someone say Warlock/Ranger PrC? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10933013&postcount=8)

Tacitus
2011-12-21, 02:57 PM
Superior Eldritch Glaive (Su): At 5th level, the eldritch warrior's mastery over his signature weapon has reached its peak. Whenever the eldritch warrior invokes Eldritch Glaive, his eldritch blast is treated as a normal ranged attack for the rest of the round, which means it not only applies additional attacks based on Base Attack Bonus, but also can benefit from extra attacks via the Rapid Shot feat or the haste spell, or that the eldritch warrior may fire multiple Eldritch Blasts as part of the the Manyshot feat, etc.

Does this also include no longer being a Ranged Touch Attack?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 03:06 PM
Does this also include no longer being a Ranged Touch Attack?

No, it doesn't. I'll make that clear, thanks.

Quarian Rex
2011-12-21, 07:18 PM
I quite like the class but you need to clarify the capstone ability Superior Eldritch Glaive. You are taking a lot of liberties with an already poorly worded invocation.

The actual Eldritch Glaive ability allows you to make melee iterative touch attacks as if you are using a reach weapon (with some restrictions). You cannot just say that Eldritch Glaive is now treated like a normal ranged weapon and call it a day. Normal ranged weapons have range increments and spells tend to have set ranges. What is it for Superior Eldritch Glaive?

You obviously want to make a ranged iterative attacker here. I would suggest scrapping the Eldritch Glaive requirement/references and just detail the ability you want. Keeping Eldritch Glaive as a reference/in the name just confuses things and makes little thematic sense (like naming a ranged lightning blast ability Magic Greatsword).

Nothing in this class really helps with melee, the entire point of the Eldritch Glaive invocation (other than the damage boost of course), so taking it out would be a good idea.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 07:27 PM
You obviously want to make a ranged iterative attacker here. I would suggest scrapping the Eldritch Glaive requirement/references and just detail the ability you want. Keeping Eldritch Glaive as a reference/in the name just confuses things and makes little thematic sense (like naming a ranged lightning blast ability Magic Greatsword).

Nothing in this class really helps with melee, the entire point of the Eldritch Glaive invocation (other than the damage boost of course), so taking it out would be a good idea.

Alright, there, I changed it to melee or ranged, and gave it the iteratives and the ability to get multiple attacks off abilities and other such things.

eftexar
2011-12-21, 07:43 PM
This is nice. The warlock doesn't have enough nice stuff.
The boost to eldritch blast is nice, especially since you usually can only fire one or two a round.
I would be concerned about superior eldritch glaive though. That's a lot of damage to throw around (That's around 60d6 with the iterative attacks and a couple of feats (and I'm sure it could go higher); so an average of 105 damage versus the average melee classes 23-40 or a spells 52-90), especially since it is a touch attack and has no saves. I think maybe when the ability in question is used it might be a good idea to allow a reflex save to half damage, after all not everyone can make that and it would fit in with the flavor (a warlock pumping out massive amounts of eldritch energy probably wouldn't have much time to aim).

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 07:51 PM
This is nice. The warlock doesn't have enough nice stuff.
The boost to eldritch blast is nice, especially since you usually can only fire one or two a round.
I would be concerned about superior eldritch glaive though. That's a lot of damage to throw around (That's around 60d6 with the iterative attacks and a couple of feats (and I'm sure it could go higher); so an average of 105 damage versus the average melee classes 23-40 or a spells 52-90), especially since it is a touch attack and has no saves. I think maybe when the ability in question is used it might be a good idea to allow a reflex save to half damage, after all not everyone can make that and it would fit in with the flavor (a warlock pumping out massive amounts of eldritch energy probably wouldn't have much time to aim).

I don't see the problem with 60d6 damage per round at level 20. Especially when one of those attacks would only be at +1 or so. Missing that last attack (and you mostly likely will) would drop it down to 45d6. 45d6, requiring 3 touch attacks to hit (with a -5 and -10 penalty) instead of 1, compared to disintegrate having 40d6 on a single touch attack and allowing a Fortitude save to reduce the damage to 5d6.

The average damage for the 45d6 would be 158. Compare that to an optimized barbarian (taking this prestige class would be an example of optimizing a warlock). An optimized barbarian deals close to 1000 damage per round at level 20 (don't feel like posting the build but a quick search will find it for you) with Power Attack and Shock Trooper. The warlock gets to do a 10th of that, but from 60 feet away.

eftexar
2011-12-21, 08:02 PM
I hadn't thought about spells like disintegrate.
But as far as the barbarian goes, I think that is hardly average. That is an example of a build I wouldn't play (as it wouldn't be fair to other players), especially when I'm the only one that optimizes in my group.
I guess your probably right though. It doesn't help I haven't played in while. That and I'm not used to playing damage dealers (I like my debuffs and miss chances).
Out of curiosity, what's with the weapon proficiencies though? It seems sort of odd for a class that isn't melee-esque (for lack of a better word at the moment).

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-21, 08:07 PM
I hadn't thought about spells like disintegrate.
But as far as the barbarian goes, I think that is hardly average. That is an example of a build I wouldn't play (as it wouldn't be fair to other players), especially when I'm the only one that optimizes in my group.
I guess your probably right though. It doesn't help I haven't played in while. That and I'm not used to playing damage dealers (I like my debuffs and miss chances).
Out of curiosity, what's with the weapon proficiencies though? It seems sort of odd for a class that isn't melee-esque (for lack of a better word at the moment).

Eh, the class is supposed to be the warlock equivalent of Abjurant Champion (Full BAB, full casting, powerful abilities in 5 levels). I couldn't figure out how else to force a 1 level dip into a melee class, so I picked full weapon proficiency.