PDA

View Full Version : XP question

Bhu
2011-12-20, 03:08 AM
Recently I started having a problem. Opening any folder requiring thumbnails to be generated causes explorer.exe to use about 50% of the cpu. If I'm foolish enough to click on (or open a folder containing) .flv or .avi files, it goes up to 99%. None of the fixes I'm seeing on google work much, and I'd like to avoid editing my registry. Any ideas?

Windows xp, dual core amd processor

Generic Archer
2011-12-20, 07:00 AM
How long since you restarted windows? sometimes it can get a bit clogged. How about reinstalled windows?

If you can't reinstall do a malware and virus check, and hope that it's enough.

Brother Oni
2011-12-20, 07:30 AM
Further to the restarting Windows suggestions, have you tried clearing your cache, or cleaning out your temp files?

Reinstalling Windows would be a last resort and it doesn't sound like a malware or virus, but you can never be too sure.

Winter_Wolf
2011-12-20, 03:03 PM
I'd try disk cleanup through right clicking and bringing up "Properties" on C: drive, deleting several old restore points, and I use CCleaner, so I'd then use that to run the cleaner and then the registry cleaner. Then restart. How long since your last disk defrag? That can sometimes do wonders for performance.

Siosilvar
2011-12-20, 04:02 PM
Do all of the above. To reiterate (and in this order, more or less):

Virus/malware scan.
Restart computer.
Run disk cleanup.
Defragment hard drive.
Restart computer.
Move some of your data to another location.
Defragment hard drive.
Take it to a professional.
Take it to another professional.
Run a registry cleaning tool, like CCleaner. WARNING: Before doing this, back up all of your data and files. Your computer may become unusable after doing this.

If all that fails, buy a new computer and move your data over.

Bhu
2011-12-20, 04:31 PM
Do all of the above. To reiterate (and in this order, more or less):

Virus/malware scan.
Restart computer.
Run disk cleanup.
Defragment hard drive.
Restart computer.
Move some of your data to another location.
Defragment hard drive.
Take it to a professional.
Take it to another professional.
Run a registry cleaning tool, like CCleaner. WARNING: Before doing this, back up all of your data and files. Your computer may become unusable after doing this.

If all that fails, buy a new computer and move your data over.

all of this has been done cept taking it to a pro and running something like CCleaner. When I change the view to List that seems to have stopped the problem for now.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-23, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure there's an option to just not show thumbnails somewhere. It's been a while since I used XP, but it's probably the same as in Vista. Try looking at the view settings under Folder Options in the Control Panel.

Bhu
2011-12-23, 04:35 PM
I changed view to list so it doesn't look for or generate thumbnails and it works ok unless i switch back. I'm wondering if my thumbnail cache has simply gotten corrupt.

Siosilvar
2011-12-23, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure there's an option to just not show thumbnails somewhere. It's been a while since I used XP, but it's probably the same as in Vista. Try looking at the view settings under Folder Options in the Control Panel.

That's exactly where it is.

From My Computer, go to Tools/Folder Options, click on the "View" tab, and then check "Do not cache thumbnails".