PDA

View Full Version : Two Worlds

Greensleeves
2011-12-20, 08:12 AM
So, Good Old Games has Two Worlds for 5 bucks. I'm considering getting it. Good idea? Bad idea? Mediocre idea? *something of your choice* idea?

I've heard some very bad things about it (primarily the voice acting) but I've also read some reviews by people who do like it very much, so I turn to you, the Playground to help me.

Domochevsky
2011-12-20, 10:35 AM
Mhm. Kinda mediocre idea. The voice acting is bad, the combat busted (Apparently there are only two options. "Ball bustingly hard" and "laughably easy". I think the latter involves jumping backwards a lot. I'm in the former camp.) and the equipment and numbers are kinda uninteresting. (It inflates quite hard and yet doesn't feel notably better. But then again, magic is mostly useless in this game.)

That being said however there's a pretty big world out there to explore with lots of things to do and i guess the landscape looks nice too. The game is kinda long too.

Get it if you have nothing better to play, i'd say. :smallsmile:

Greensleeves
2011-12-20, 10:59 AM
Mhm. Kinda mediocre idea. The voice acting is bad, the combat busted (Apparently there are only two options. "Ball bustingly hard" and "laughably easy". I think the latter involves jumping backwards a lot. I'm in the former camp.) and the equipment and numbers are kinda uninteresting. (It inflates quite hard and yet doesn't feel notably better. But then again, magic is mostly useless in this game.)

That being said however there's a pretty big world out there to explore with lots of things to do and i guess the landscape looks nice too. The game is kinda long too.

Get it if you have nothing better to play, i'd say. :smallsmile:

Cool. Thanks for an opinion. I do have some other things though. Just got Portal and Portal 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption goes for 3 bucks, so does Fallout 2, I still have Skyrim to play. I have things to play still. :smallwink:

So I'll probably skip Two Worlds in that case. It'll be interesting to see which other titles are on sale on Steam as well.

Starwulf
2011-12-20, 03:45 PM
So, Good Old Games has Two Worlds for 5 bucks. I'm considering getting it. Good idea? Bad idea? Mediocre idea? *something of your choice* idea?

I've heard some very bad things about it (primarily the voice acting) but I've also read some reviews by people who do like it very much, so I turn to you, the Playground to help me.

I'll give ya a bit different of an opinion: The Voice acting is so bad it's freaking awesome(imagine campy B-rated Medieval Knight movies), I laughed so many times throughout the game it's unreal. As for the combat, I never had any issue with it, and I never abused any "Jumping backwards" thing. I alternated between a bow and a massive two-handed sword.

The game is absolutely massive, which is great. Lots to explore, though I do wish that dungeons were a bit bigger(you only come across a few with any real size). Main Storyline is kinda "meh", but some of the sidequests are quite enjoyable. Oh, and best of all, unlike most games that have a good deal of size, there are actually things to find on the outer-edges of the map ^^ I found some of those most interesting things in areas I figured would have nothing but trees or sand dunes. There is an absolute multitude of enemies in the game, which is nice, I love variety instead of killing the same things over and over. (The only major offender are the skeletons, and at least they give you Fire and Ice based skeletons to make up for it ^^)

A lot of people dislike Two Worlds because of the massive hype that originally surrounded it(this goes especially true for one of my closest friends. He HATES two worlds because he was so let down) that it was going to be an "Oblivion Killer" game. No, it doesn't beat a TES game, but it does provide a good deal of entertainment, and I would definitely advocate spending 5 bucks on it.

Edit: Also, I may be wrong, but did you get your user name from an old MTG book?

Greensleeves
2011-12-20, 04:16 PM
I'll give ya a bit different of an opinion: The Voice acting is so bad it's freaking awesome(imagine campy B-rated Medieval Knight movies), I laughed so many times throughout the game it's unreal. As for the combat, I never had any issue with it, and I never abused any "Jumping backwards" thing. I alternated between a bow and a massive two-handed sword.

The game is absolutely massive, which is great. Lots to explore, though I do wish that dungeons were a bit bigger(you only come across a few with any real size). Main Storyline is kinda "meh", but some of the sidequests are quite enjoyable. Oh, and best of all, unlike most games that have a good deal of size, there are actually things to find on the outer-edges of the map ^^ I found some of those most interesting things in areas I figured would have nothing but trees or sand dunes. There is an absolute multitude of enemies in the game, which is nice, I love variety instead of killing the same things over and over. (The only major offender are the skeletons, and at least they give you Fire and Ice based skeletons to make up for it ^^)

A lot of people dislike Two Worlds because of the massive hype that originally surrounded it(this goes especially true for one of my closest friends. He HATES two worlds because he was so let down) that it was going to be an "Oblivion Killer" game. No, it doesn't beat a TES game, but it does provide a good deal of entertainment, and I would definitely advocate spending 5 bucks on it.

Edit: Also, I may be wrong, but did you get your user name from an old MTG book?

Even better, an opposing view. :smallbiggrin:

This put the game back in the "I'll consider it"-box. There are a number of games I'd like to get my hands on though, and with the Steam sale AND the GoG sale... There's plenty of cheap fun to be had.

And no, my name is not from an old MtG (Magic: The Gathering, right?) book, it's from this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSvr_nDjKU) song.

Starwulf
2011-12-20, 04:26 PM
Even better, an opposing view. :smallbiggrin:

This put the game back in the "I'll consider it"-box. There are a number of games I'd like to get my hands on though, and with the Steam sale AND the GoG sale... There's plenty of cheap fun to be had.

And no, my name is not from an old MtG (Magic: The Gathering, right?) book, it's from this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSvr_nDjKU) song.

Ahhh. The books I'm referring to is about a young female named Greensleaves, who when introduced is mostly a bumbling drooling idiot child(due to some object or another in the surrounding area affecting her because of her intense magical ability). As the book/s go on, she becomes more and more her true self, a gentle, soft(but well) spoken woman who is an immensely powerful druid who ends up taking on a multitude of oppressive wizards.

Also, just to further expound on Two Worlds, if it's only 5 bucks, it's definitely a HUGE bang for your buck. I put like 75 hours into the game and still hadn't finished exploring ALL of the map. I always highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys RPGs and especially open-world games. I know a lot of people tend to disagree, but I personally thrive on campy, cheesy dialogue, and the world really is quite beautiful as well.

oh, and...Ding 2k posts! Woot!

factotum
2011-12-20, 05:09 PM
I'm another one who found Two Worlds surprisingly entertaining, and I would have to agree that the voice acting is so bad it loops round and becomes awesome, if only for the laugh factor. Second game is much better, incidentally, but you're not likely to find that for $5 yet!

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2011-12-21, 05:37 PM
If they're paying you 5 bucks to play the game then they're not paying you enough. Unless I read that wrong and some shady so-and-so is actually demanding you pay them for the dubious privilege of what is to games and entertainment the equivalent of combining your genitalia with a claw hammer in the most spectacularly violent manner imaginable.

Seriously, run away while you still can. If, in a past life, you were perhaps a mass murderer or have otherwise racked up enough bad karma that the Universe is punishing you by letting the game actually work (it is alarmingly riddled with bugs), then you are treated to the "graphics" of the game.

I could render a more convincing landscape by putting crayons in my butt and farting in the general direction of a piece of paper.

But perhaps you are like me, and graphics are not a be-all end-all. Perhaps you like gameplay as well. The game has loads of "features" such as "mounted combat," or as anyone who has played the game will call it, "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF TOM CRUISE WHY WON'T YOU STAY ON THE ROAD YOU STUPID GLUE STICK!"

The horses are so godawful as to make walking on foot a much better alternative. Of course, becoming close and personal buddies with flesh-eating bacteria is a much better alternative than playing this attack on humanity thinly veiled as a game, but hey. Maybe there's no flesh-eating bacteria where you are.

Oh, and you can combine items together to upgrade them or something. I remember taking two of my "Barbarian Beauties," which were short swords I think, and squishing them together to get oh god my ears are bleeding why can't I stop laughing? Why can't I stop laughing?

There were some funny parts, but they were only funny because they were mind-twistingly jarring. The necromancer wanting me to "find the taint" made my head tilt (and what was left of my faith in humanity give me the bird before slashing my tires on it's way out).

Oh and the story. Yes, this shining gem. A thousand years some orcs did some crap and blah blah blah sealed away or some crap. And now some herpaderp Darth Vader wannabes have kidnapped your sister! Or some crap! Because...ugh. I honestly don't know. Between the constant crashing, the crap animations, the tiny heads on huge bodies and the general ass-backwardsness of the game, I couldn't play it.

Oh and the chest hair. Perfectly. Rendered. Chest. Hair.

I (mercifully) can't find an image, but yeah. The one area where they went into any visual detail, and they had to draw with such exacting detail the hair on each flabby, barrel-chested commoner in the world. If there truly is a God then he has surely abandoned us long ago.

But it wasn't all bad, I guess. The alchemy was...stupid, but at least it was consistent. Take an ingredient with [add dexterity] or whatever and combine it with another [add dexterity] ingredient and you get...[fortify health] or some such. But at least you get it every time. So there's that.

Bottom line is, run. Run away and don't stop running.

tl;dr: I did not care for the game that much.

Domochevsky
2011-12-21, 06:26 PM
Xaraphim, dramatic much? :smallwink:

Oh wait. Mounted combat. I repressed that. >_>

You can indeed combine items of the same type to make one stronger item. You can do that as often as you want and in fact you'll need to. (Which is incidentally what i meant with "number inflation".)

What you do to monsters and what they do to you is also somewhat out of whack. So you fairly often get oneshotted as you chip away at a ogre. Make of that what you will. :smallannoyed:

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2011-12-21, 07:11 PM

You can indeed combine items of the same type to make one stronger item. You can do that as often as you want and in fact you'll need to. (Which is incidentally what i meant with "number inflation".)

What you do to monsters and what they do to you is also somewhat out of whack. So you fairly often get oneshotted as you chip away at a ogre. Make of that what you will. :smallannoyed:

I may have been a little over the top, but not by much. What's worse is the hype it got. The back of the box said "It's like Oblivion on steroids!"

Kids. Don't do drugs.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2011-12-21, 07:12 PM

I may have been a little over the top, but not by much. What's worse is the hype it got. The back of the box said "It's like Oblivion on steroids!"

Kids. Don't do drugs.

Dsurion
2011-12-22, 12:22 AM
What you do to monsters and what they do to you is also somewhat out of whack. So you fairly often get oneshotted as you chip away at a ogre. Make of that what you will. :smallannoyed:Yeah, I remember roflstomping creatures left and right until I came upon my first Glacier Orc. Using the same bow with similar statistics, I was one-shotted despite pounding away at the thing for almost 3 whole minutes.

Same thing would have happened against the cyclops with my spear-wielder, but I kept using the jumping backwards trick to make it trivially easy (though it did take forever).

Starwulf
2011-12-22, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I remember roflstomping creatures left and right until I came upon my first Glacier Orc. Using the same bow with similar statistics, I was one-shotted despite pounding away at the thing for almost 3 whole minutes.

Same thing would have happened against the cyclops with my spear-wielder, but I kept using the jumping backwards trick to make it trivially easy (though it did take forever).

I...have to say, I never had any of these kinds of issues. Did you guys wander into high level creature territory when you weren't supposed to? I mean, the first time I encountered an actual Dragon, I got stomped, but that's because I wasn't meant to be there yet. When I came back with an appropriate level, I had virtually no problem with them at all. I think the boars at the beginning of the game were the only creature to consistently kill me, but once I was strong enough to kill them, I never ran into any more problems from there on out.

Domochevsky
2011-12-22, 11:49 AM
Areas you weren't supposed to be in? How would you tell short of getting one-shotted?

I remember the village you were send to pretty early in the game that got burned down by orcs and with them still sitting around there. One arrow, one dead player. Every single time. Why. :smallannoyed:

(And as said, magic is completely useless in this game as far as damage output goes, unfortunately. Not a viable combat option by itself.)

druid91
2011-12-22, 02:15 PM
No but it had a few surprisingly good De-buffs.

to be honest I just liked planting bombs in the middle of the city on the Demo.

Nothing more hilarious than cheating your way to the point where bombs are one shot kills for anything in the blast radius and then putting them all over the city.

I only played the demo but it was pretty fun, as long as you didn't take it seriously.

I laughed for ten minutes when I first heard someone say "For Sooth."

I still have no idea what that means, even in context.

factotum
2011-12-22, 04:45 PM
I laughed for ten minutes when I first heard someone say "For Sooth."

I still have no idea what that means, even in context.

Sooth = archaic word for "truth".

warty goblin
2011-12-23, 11:42 AM
I tend to like bad games better than good games, so lemme put it this way: Two Worlds is a very good bad game. Don't get me wrong, it is by no stretch of the imagination 'good', but it is very good at being an appealing sort of bad. Play it only if you like bad games, in which case you will get a lot of fun out of it.

Triaxx
2011-12-24, 08:15 PM
Two Worlds is awesome. Play it like an old, arcade style beat-em-up instead of an RPG. It feels much better that way.

And I enjoyed the mounted combat even. Particularly since it meant I could kill just about anything as long as I had some room to work. Remember to fight like a skirmisher, rather than a knight-in-armor. Ride up, whack them, and then slam on the 'gas' and peel away.

Orc groups? Piece of cake. Reapers? Same. Bears? Easy. Spiders? Cyclops? All die without a lot of hassle. Even the huge bugs.

Wookieetank
2011-12-26, 03:40 PM
Magic wasn't totally useless, just terribly unexplained. I found that you could stack multiple cards of any one type on top of each other to increase spell effects and spell power. Just took a lot of time and effort to get the money and cards to do so. Summons were rather beasty too, particularly since you could have one of each type of summon on screen at the same time.

Domochevsky
2011-12-26, 09:15 PM
True, you could stack magic cards like you could stack weapons. And then they cost more mana to cast, making them useless again. :|

Triaxx
2011-12-26, 09:45 PM
Nothing is more effective than a single level in earth magic. Being able to pin an enemy to the ground with the Chains Spell is hideously invaluable. There's a stronger spell with a similar effect, but once you've got them pinned, you can hammer away with archery, or keep them held for summons to do the work on.

I find it more effective to stack boosters on lower level spells, and then fast cast them, as opposed to carding up the spells themselves. Though if you fight enough necromancers, you can then take the cards and sell them for a tremendous profit.

Sholos
2011-12-29, 10:13 AM
So with it being only $6.79 right now, is it worth it?

factotum
2011-12-29, 11:49 AM
So with it being only $6.79 right now, is it worth it?

The original question asked if it was worth it at $5, which is even cheaper... :smallwink:

Triaxx
2011-12-29, 02:09 PM
In short: Yes. Definitely.