PDA

View Full Version : Dismissal/banishment. Where does the creature end up?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-20, 09:16 AM
So lets say there's an extraplanar creature causing a ruckus, a wizard appears, casts banishment and the creature is banished, whereabouts on its home plane does it appear? Say some adventurers are banished from another plane back to the material, where do they appear?

Are the locations relative? If a demon walks through a portal and is banished after walking a few meters, will he reappear a few meters from the portal he went through or will it be something like 5d% miles away? If the demon is from an infinite plane and banishment returns it to a random spot then it will appear infinity miles away from its home!

I can't find anything in the rules that suggest a locations so it seems like DM choice to me.

Telonius
2011-12-20, 09:24 AM
DM choice. I usually go for whatever location seems funniest at the time.

Eldan
2011-12-20, 10:00 AM
Are the locations relative? If a demon walks through a portal and is banished after walking a few meters, will he reappear a few meters from the portal he went through or will it be something like 5d% miles away? If the demon is from an infinite plane and banishment returns it to a random spot then it will appear infinity miles away from its home!

I'd go with Random, as with Planeshift. There's a reason outsiders have Greater Teleport.

Namfuak
2011-12-20, 11:52 AM
As for banishing people back to the Material Realm, wouldn't you have a really good chance of killing the people you send back? I mean, even if you assume that they won't end up in the center of a sun or the 90% of the Material Plane that is space, they have a damn small chance of actually returning to their home planet, or even a planet with a suitable atmosphere to survive on.

Andreaz
2011-12-20, 11:58 AM
As for banishing people back to the Material Realm, wouldn't you have a really good chance of killing the people you send back? I mean, even if you assume that they won't end up in the center of a sun or the 90% of the Material Plane that is space, they have a damn small chance of actually returning to their home planet, or even a planet with a suitable atmosphere to survive on.

Most games with a Material Plane don't assume a cosmos like that. Usually it's just the place that makes that would, here, be a planet.

Sudain
2011-12-20, 12:05 PM
I'd go with Random, as with Planeshift. There's a reason outsiders have Greater Teleport.

Teleport, Greater
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 7
This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit and there is no chance you arrive off target. In addition, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting. If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location. Interplanar travel is not possible.

I don't understand what greater teleport has to do this yet. Can you elaborate?

Andreaz
2011-12-20, 12:14 PM
I don't understand what greater teleport has to do this yet. Can you elaborate?

Hurrying home after appearing two million miles away from it in your home plane.

Sudain
2011-12-20, 12:32 PM
Ah, thank you! :)

ericgrau
2011-12-20, 01:49 PM
While common not everything banishable can teleport though, not even half I think. Screwing over the dismissed creature in additional ways does not seem to be implied. I'd put him at a random location X horizontal distance away from where he left his plane. Too far to reach in short order but not too far that he'll never get back.

Flickerdart
2011-12-20, 01:57 PM
Horizontal displacement is probably fair game, but they shouldn't be ending up 20 miles into the atmosphere (on planes with such a configuration, anyway).