PDA

View Full Version : My first BBEG

Balor01
2011-12-20, 10:12 AM
This is a BBEG I am building for my party of, when they finally meet him, presumably lvl 5.

Here is the fluff:
The Count was a mid-level aristocrat, born and bred in a large city, where he, after death of his parents, took over family business of diamond excavation and transport. He married and had a son up and untill a Dark cult absorbed him.
Up to this point he was highly interested in magic, which was his hobby, so he is fond of using magic items - especially for his personal protection.

After he joined the Dark cult he sacrificed his wife and son to dark gods and is now with other cultists plotting a large-scale poisoning of city water supplies.

Counts' group will be successful at that and will like this become primary target of my PCs.

Mechanically, I was thinking Counts stats to be something like this:
- lvl 3 aristocrat (being a highborn, a trader, etc ...)
- lvl 2 wizard/rogue? (this was still his pre-conversion level. It is suppose to make him be able to UMD)
- lvl 3 cleric (he got these levels for free (death, trickery domain) after he sacrificed his wife and son)

so he'd be lvl 3 aristocrat/lvl 2 rogue/lvl 3 cleric

elite array, 11.700 gp at disposal for equipping him. (he has spent only 3.500 gp on magic items and scrolls he now has prior to conversion, but has invested heavily into these items since conversion)

Comments and helpfull insights much appreciated, playground. :smallsmile:

00dlez
2011-12-20, 10:38 AM
I'm not much of an optimizer, but...

If you plan on having the BBEG as a recurring enemy versus a one time final boss, I would suggest switching one of the rogue levels to a Bard level. You keep the UMD and SA die, but pick up the "buff-all-minions" ability. Making him able to bolster his minions and flee will make the lead up that much harder and the final battle that much more rewarding for the players.

cthulhubear
2011-12-20, 12:01 PM
Reduce the levels in Aristocrat down to 1 level. Having npc levels on a BBEG isn't a very good idea, because it's a waste of levels, and you can accomplish what you're looking for with just one level.

Dayzgone
2011-12-20, 06:29 PM
I would drop the NPC lvls altogether. Not to be mean, but the build u just gave sounds like one I could put down in a few turns. If the players know what they’re doing, he won’t last very long.

I would go with bard 4/ Cleric 4

Bards have always been a very heavy RP class so it’s not unnatural for a noble bard

Or even a few lvls in beguiler in place of the NPC class.

Runestar
2011-12-20, 10:16 PM
Hypothetically speaking, won't the 1/2 cr from 1 lv of aristocrat be rounded down anyways, meaning that it is effectively free?

IE: human fighter4 = cr4, human aristocrat1/fighter4 also cr4? :smalltongue:

Or 2 lvs in npc class is just +1cr, which isn't too shabby.

Anyway, I find the build quite weak, and he likely won't be able to challenge the PCs much. For a decent challenge against a 5th lv party, you will probably want him to be at least cr6, with a few mooks to soak up the party's firepower.

For the dark magic part, you could give him lvs in warlock. Warlock6 would give him fell flight and eldritch spear.

Alternatively, he could be a warlock3/cleric3 who is ready to take lvs in eldritch disciple (if you plan for him to be a recurring npc). :smallsmile: In which case, you may need to recalibrate his cr because he is definitely not a cr6.

Balor01
2011-12-21, 07:16 AM
Tnx guys. Well, first of all, he, regarding classes CAN BE WEAK. He is an aristocrat, not some hard-core evildoer. Evil meet him only recently and is doing what it can with this guy as-he-is.

What I hope for to give him the "kick" is that 11.700 gp he has at his disposal. He is to use this stuff primarily to run away and mess the world another day. He is not a fighter, controller, blaster ... he is just a rich guy who is stockpiling magic items.

I made these stats (yes, they are horribly unoptimised, but that is really not the point). I'd appreciate your advice on what to buy to make this guy survivable. (and if i f*cked up anything regarding stats) I was looking at direction of spells like Gaseous form, Rope trick, Scare, Misdirection, Invisibility, See Invisibility, Detect thoughts, Obscure object, etc.

Count NE Male Human Cleric 3 / Rogue 2 / Aristocrat 3
Init +6 = +2 [dexterity] +4 [improved initiative]
8HD = 3d8+2d6+3d6=27 hp
Str 8(-1)Dex 15(+2) Con 10(+0) Int 13(+1) Wis 12(+1) Cha 16(+3)
Speed 30 feet
AC 15 = 10 +3 [studded] +2 [dexterity], Touch 12, FF 13
Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +7
ATTACK: Heavy Crossbow +7 1d10(+1d6 sneak attack), 19-20/x2, Rapier +7 1d6(+1d6 sneak attack) 18-20/x2

Attack (handheld): +4 = 5 [base] -1 [strength]
Weapon Finesse: +7 = 5 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Attack (unarmed): +4 = 5 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (missile): +7 = 5 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +4 = 5 [base] -1 [strength]

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]
Short Sword [1d6, crit 19-20/x2, 1 lb, light, piercing]
Studded armor [light; +3 AC; max dex +5; check penalty -1; 20 lb.]

Improved Initiative, Negotiator, Skill Focus (Use Magic Device), Weapon Finesse, Spontaneous Casting (harm), Rebuke Undead (6x/day), Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding,
Evasion

Domains: Death Trickery

Energy: Negative [Harmful / Rebukes Undead]

Bluff +8, Concentration +10, Diplomacy +17, Disguise +8 Escape Artist +2, Gather Information +3, Hide +2, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (religion)
+4, Ride +2, Sense Motive +3, Spellcraft +13, Use Magic Device +16

Zero-level Cleric spells: 4 per day Resistance, Read magic (3)

First-level Cleric spells: 3 (2+1) per day +1 from a domain:Disguise self, Fear

Second-level Cleric spells: 1 per day +1 from a domain: Invisibility (2)

missmvicious
2011-12-21, 08:09 AM
Magic items, you say?

What kind of evil cult? I'd like to get fluffy with this. Can you describe it's deity and general practices? I could design you an outfit that suits his theological tastes and still buffs him in all the right ways.

00dlez
2011-12-21, 10:15 AM
I made these stats (yes, they are horribly unoptimised, but that is really not the point). I'd appreciate your advice on what to buy to make this guy survivable.
I get what you are saying about him not being a particularly weak man, but 27 HP doesn't get much mileage against a 5th level party.

IF you are dead set on that build and stats, then items like a belt of CON is needed, also some contingency spell items that trigger healing spells (I've not priced these out myself, so I'm no use explaining the cost). That way after the party hits him once or twice, his healing will trigger and he can run away invisible.

But seriously, 27 HP will likely get killed in 1 round if the party has its way, not very climactic for a BBEG

Dayzgone
2011-12-21, 10:56 AM
Like I said he won’t be hold ground for long. But if he is meant to be a week villain who just harasses the party then splits.

The items I recommend is a wand of minor image for starters. Hitting him will be a lot harder if you can’t figure who it is.

Iron ward Diamond is pretty good also. Gives him some DR and kind of cheap. Pending on the lvl u buy

Scrolls, Scrolls and more scrolls of whatever he can get his hands on

If you want to get really evil about it get a wand of “Heartache” and a wand of “Slow consumption” Heartache causes the subject to become helpless for 1 round and slow consumption drains the health of any helpless beings :smalltongue:

Edit: Sry not what i thought it was still a rather evil combo move though. Book of vile Darkness btw

Truthfully though 12k is not all that much to work with given a BBEG who needs to face a lvl 5 party of 4 or more (also how many players are playing any way?)

Zeikstraal
2011-12-21, 03:39 PM
His AC and HP are weak. A lvl 5 Archer who can schoot 100+ feat will take care of him. Or just an unlucky charge will end the fight.

I would buff him up, cause if you want him to come back an other day, he has to survive. and with AC 15 and 27 HP I think thats not going to happen.

Unless he stands behind a wall of force, taunting the party in round 1, and running away in round 2.

Balor01
2011-12-21, 07:17 PM
What kind of evil cult? I'd like to get fluffy with this. Can you describe it's deity and general practices? I could design you an outfit that suits his theological tastes and still buffs him in all the right ways.

Fluff: Most of good pantheon died. Nerull consequently advanced several divine ranks and with millons of creatures dying also, he became very, very strong. So strong, that his mere presence turns certain percentage of sentient creatures into his followers. They actively promote death and dying.

We could actually give him some rage inspiring abilities + items worth 11.700 gp.

If he gets even a round to prepare, he can take gaseous form and flee. Black tentacles on the party could also be quite a delay.

Also, maybe I did not described him good - he is big bad evil guy, but not the Last BBEG. More sort of a low-lvl enemy for whom I would like a chance of reacurring. If he does not, tough luck for him.