PDA

View Full Version : Dream Metals

Lord Ruby34
2011-12-20, 12:02 PM
What metals, assuming price is no object, would you make your weapons out of? The weapons in question are shortswords, if that matters at all. I know that there's something cooler than being really hard to break.

CTrees
2011-12-20, 12:21 PM
Adamantine or Riverine, personally. Or just skip the "material" side of things and go for brilliant energy (because who doesn't like magic lightsabers?)

Cirrylius
2011-12-20, 12:23 PM
Adamantine

Why go adamantine when you can go obdurium?:smallwink:

Alefiend
2011-12-20, 01:38 PM
Adamantine or Riverine, personally. Or just skip the "material" side of things and go for brilliant energy (because who doesn't like magic lightsabers?)

Have fun fighting undead and constructs with your flashlights, boyo. :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2011-12-20, 01:48 PM
Osmium or iridium.

kardar233
2011-12-20, 03:01 PM
Get your strength to 115, then use a weapon of pure Orichalcum. Base damage times 12 and bypass 100pts of hardness is about as good as you can get.

JoeYounger
2011-12-20, 03:02 PM
katori resin

Yorae
2011-12-20, 03:57 PM
Get your strength to 115, then use a weapon of pure Orichalcum. Base damage times 12 and bypass 100pts of hardness is about as good as you can get.

Sweet crap.

Where is that from?

kardar233
2011-12-20, 04:09 PM
Sweet crap.

Where is that from?

Immortal's Handbook. Strength 115 isn't exactly trivial. You can make things out of a percentage of it, lower percentages costing less, giving less bonus damage and less hardness penetration but requiring less strength. Though, the stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Though for my current character I'm going for a Kaorti Resin Jovar. Combining a 12-20/x4 crit range with Prismatic Burst, Enervating and Cursespewing is pretty nice.

Lord Ruby34
2011-12-20, 04:13 PM
Where's Katori Rasin from? I've hear the name before, but I haven't been able to find it.

kardar233
2011-12-20, 04:19 PM
It's first mentioned in Fiend Folio and then the creation method is explained (very confusingly) in a Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a).

Basically, it makes your crit multiplier x4.

Flickerdart
2011-12-20, 04:20 PM
Where's Katori Rasin from? I've hear the name before, but I haven't been able to find it.
Fiend Folio p.110. Makes the weapon Exotic and increases its crit modifier to x4, I believe.

Coidzor
2011-12-20, 04:24 PM

That's because it's spelled Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a). Kaorti appear in the Fiend Folio and there's a web enhancement detailing them to a certain extent that I just linked. Ok, so it's more of an adventure hookish thing. Same series of articles that gave us Wild Cohort, IIRC.

Relatively reasonable houserule is that once a Kaorti Resin item is a magic weapon, it ceases to degrade so one doesn't have to spend a whole lot of time shenaniganning it and tracking how much time it has left before it breaks down/needs a touch up.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-20, 04:49 PM

How can you get a weapon made out of riverine? Isn't that just an armor material only? (Water sandwiched in walls of force)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ignore the periodic table and real world alloys created in the last hundred years or so...
Over adamant(ium/ine) I'd choose the green star metal. Mind you, having that sword should then make you a target for unoptimized green star adepts who're trying to gain their next level. But hey, easy XP.

Thinaun (sp?) has the nice feature of stealing the soul of whoever it kills. But it can only hold one soul at a time. Also, it'll eat your soul if you're holding it when you die.
Could be useful if you've put the BBEG to -5 HP, then slit his throat with a thinaun dagger intended for that purpose. Makes it a lot harder to resurrect him if you don't have dagger holding his soul. But kill someone else with it, and his soul is released, making it easy to rezz them again.

Lord Ruby34
2011-12-20, 05:03 PM
I've already planned to have my players use that soul stealing metal against the BBEG, but this is for something different. I need a good metal for the swords of the Vampire Lord they annoyed. Anway, what is the Green Star Metal and what book can I find it in.

Right now I'm leaning toward Kaorti Resin. Shortswords aren't quite as good for it as a rapier, but they should still do fine.

kardar233
2011-12-20, 05:14 PM
Green Star Metal is Starmetal, which is in Complete Arcane (same book as Green Star Adept). It's basically Adamantium with bonus damage against Outsiders.

If you can convert the Mercurial weapon property from Sword and Fist into a proper weapon property (as there, it is only applied to a longsword and a greatsword) that should be an interesting weapon.

Greenish
2011-12-20, 05:18 PM
If you can convert the Mercurial weapon property from Sword and Fist into a proper weapon property (as there, it is only applied to a longsword and a greatsword) that should be an interesting weapon.Bonus points: mercurial weapons give the spiked chain a run for it's money for the title of unintentionally silliest weapon ever.

rmg22893
2011-12-20, 05:23 PM
Bonus points: mercurial weapons give the spiked chain a run for it's money for the title of unintentionally silliest weapon ever.

I can just imagine the WotC brainstorming session for mercurial weapons...

"Hey guys, we've got this old mercury thermometer and a sword. What can we do to make a game mechanic out of it?"

"Um...how about we wrap the sword around the thermometer...?"

"GENIUS! Print it!"

Zaq
2011-12-20, 06:24 PM
Bonus points: mercurial weapons give the spiked chain a run for it's money for the title of unintentionally silliest weapon ever.

One word, my friend: gyrspike. Neither Batman nor Jackie Chan could make that thing look cool.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-12-20, 10:47 PM
mercurial gyrspike

OracleofWuffing
2011-12-20, 11:07 PM
Okay, just, you know, hypothetically speaking, and in a Dream World where I could get it... I'd make them out of Artificer 20.:smalltongue:

Lateral
2011-12-20, 11:40 PM
Immortal's Handbook.

Ah, that book. Monkeys, typewriters, and all that.
----
Well, just for utility I always keep a masterwork Adamantine dagger around, or a Stone Dragon belt for Mountain Hammer, and a +1 Sizing Riverine Tower Shield. 10,000 GP for a permanent, portable Wall of Force? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Strormer
2011-12-21, 02:39 AM
Hmm. Well starmetal was always one of my favorites.
I don't remember the name of it, but I remember one meteorite metal that was black and pitted, but had extraordinary properties.
Outside of that I love making weapons out of cold iron or mithral just for fluff reasons.

Zaq
2011-12-21, 02:50 AM
mercurial gyrspike

Now that's just silly. I thought we were having a serious conversation about thermometer swords and swords with flails taped to the ends, and you go and bring something like that in? For shame. Seriously, ow, my brain.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-21, 02:55 AM
There's a handbook on this...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12795

Feytalist
2011-12-21, 03:29 AM
Chaosstuff (karach), like Dak'kon's zerth blade.

With enough willpower, you can even kill an immortal.

(Thanks again, Planescape: Torment)

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-21, 03:40 AM
Acid Washed, Oerthblood, Pure Orem Baatorian Green Steel, Item of Legend, Hellforged, Blood Groove, Folded Metal, Ornate, Perfect Balance, Razor Sharp, Resilient, Serrated, Quicksilver Falchion with Close Fighting Blade, a Hilt Hollow, a Reinforced Sheathe, a False Scabbard Tip, an Oil Chamber, a Wand Chamber, a Triple Weapon Capsule Retainer, a Crystal of Energy Assault... have I forgotten anything?

Greenish
2011-12-21, 08:17 AM
One word, my friend: gyrspike.I'd bet even a gyrspike would (marginally) less hazardous to the user's health that the dreaded dire flail.

[Edit]:
have I forgotten anything?Dwarvencraft.

Person_Man
2011-12-21, 01:06 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pandemonic Silver from Complete Warrior (pg 136).

When drawn, weapons made of Pandemonic Silver force everyone (including you) within 30 ft to Save vs Fear. Failure means that they Cower for 1d4 rounds. The Save DC is based on the strength of the wind around you, topping out at DC 28 if you can get tornado (175 mph+) wind.

Play as a Paladin (or anyone immune to Fear). Make shuriken or some other form of ammo out of Pandemonic Silver. Take Quickdraw so that you can draw them as a free action. Cast or use a magic item to get an Air Elemental out to change wind conditions. Then Quickdraw ammo and drop it repeatly until all of your enemies are Cowering. Coup de Grace one a round. Profit!

Diefje
2011-12-21, 04:01 PM
It's not a metal, and it's not very good, but I like the drama of a bone weapon and of course bonus points for using dragon bone, or angel/demon depending on alignment. If money is not an object, then I'd rather slap on enchantments.

Alternatively there's
http://thewisecracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/John-Cleese-Monty-Python-fruit-banana-self-defense.jpg

Slipperychicken
2011-12-21, 04:25 PM
Coup de Grace one a round. Profit!

Maybe if you took Dastardly Finish from PF, but Cowering=/=Helpless.

classy one
2011-12-21, 04:38 PM
No one ever mentions deep crystal from XPH. For every 2 PP you get 2d6 damage. The go to weapon for psywars, Ardents, psyrogue/lurks and lolDivine minds.
Real world materials would go with depleted uranium. That thing punches through tanks. Someone mentioned osumium which is the hardest material in the world, but it is also poisonous. Need to alloy it with something like platnium or iridium and that is very hard since it has a rediculous melting point of 3000+ C.

Flickerdart
2011-12-21, 04:49 PM
Osmium isn't the hardest, it's merely the most dense. It is actually quite brittle.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-21, 04:53 PM
No one ever mentions deep crystal from XPH. For every 2 PP you get 2d6 damage. The go to weapon for psywars, Ardents, psyrogue/lurks and lolDivine minds.
Real world materials would go with depleted uranium. That thing punches through tanks. Someone mentioned osumium which is the hardest material in the world, but it is also poisonous. Need to alloy it with something like platnium or iridium and that is very hard since it has a rediculous melting point of 3000+ C.

Depleted uranium punches through tanks because it's very dense(high inertia). Gold and platinum, as well as the all-too-commonly stated osmium are all denser though.

Myself? If it were a one-handed blunt weapon like a mace, I would probably make it out of platinum(assuming my fantasy self would be able to lift the thing), while if it were piercing or slashing I would pick obdurium(for the ability to hold an edge).

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-21, 05:54 PM
[Edit]: Dwarvencraft.

I've already got a template on it: Hellspawned... I was under the impression that you could only really have one template like that?

classy one
2011-12-21, 06:57 PM
Depleted uranium punches through tanks because it's very dense(high inertia). Gold and platinum, as well as the all-too-commonly stated osmium are all denser though.

Os is always alloyed with Pt or Ir due to it it's extreme toxicity.
Pt and Au are dense but soft. Besides, DU was the material used for my favorite fictional gun: Reason, from Snowquake.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-22, 01:34 AM
Myself? If it were a one-handed blunt weapon like a mace, I would probably make it out of platinum(assuming my fantasy self would be able to lift the thing),
Hmmm, there is a set of rules for using gold/platinum (magically treated) as weapons. Two of them actually. One in Magic of Faerun, other in a pathfinder source.
Per the rules, I'd take the one from MoF

Pt and Au are dense but soft. Besides, DU was the material used for my favorite fictional gun: Reason, from Snowquake.
Something like: "If you won't listen to me, will you listen to reason?"

Flickerdart
2011-12-22, 03:10 AM
Extra poison damage, woo!

Strormer
2011-12-22, 03:50 AM
Extra poison damage, woo!

This may be the single most DND response I have ever read. In no other hobby could someone find out the item they've carried with them day in and day out is incredibly toxic and think, huzzah, that's gonna suck for the ogres...

I couldn't approve more.:smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2011-12-22, 09:54 AM
You know what? Sounds like we just found another obscure use for a Monk. :smallbiggrin: