PDA

View Full Version : Outcast Races

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 02:45 PM
If you were DMing and there were a (Lawful Evil) goddess of suffering and you wanted her minions to be outcasts and creatures that suffered a lot, what would their races be?

As an exemple to be better understood: her champion is an illithid that was considered an outcast because he couldn't use any psyonic power at all.

With this kind of fluff, what races would fit better?

Daftendirekt
2011-12-20, 02:51 PM
Drow? Mongrelfolk? Goblins. Everybody hates goblins, and what did they ever do to you?!

hamishspence
2011-12-20, 02:51 PM
Mongrelfolk? Skulks? (both from Fiend Folio).

EDIT: Swordsaged.

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 02:53 PM
I forgot to mention that the goddess in question is an ascended-to-godhood sorcerer kobold.

Kantolin
2011-12-20, 02:54 PM
Half-orcs and half-elves are good fits.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-20, 02:54 PM
Well, other kobolds then, definitely. Even if the goddess wasn't a kobold herself, kobolds were seen (even by the creators of the game!) as the weakest, most pitiful thing out there until Races of the Dragon came out.

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 02:57 PM
Well, other kobolds then, definitely. Even if the goddess wasn't a kobold herself, kobolds were seen (even by the creators of the game!) as the weakest, most pitiful thing out there until Races of the Dragon came out.

Sure. This was mostly why I chose her to be a Kobold. And, of course, 99% of her minions will be kobolds (since what she desires the most, since the start of the campaing - and before becoming a goddess) is to create a Kobold nation.

But I want generals for her with exotic feeling. I'll check the suggestions later.

FMArthur
2011-12-20, 05:44 PM
Some of these are only outcasts when out among other races though.

Tieflings are outcasts born into the society that casts them out. Even a tiefling-only village will probably shunt them into a lower class on account of not being a superior Lesser Tiefling. :smallwink:

Half-orcs are in a similar boat but are so crappy that I myself would be too uncomfortable trying to build a competent NPC with one as the base.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-20, 07:00 PM
Holy crap I love this concept.:smallsmile:
Half-fiends get a harsh rep, maybe thats why so many turn to evil:smallconfused: Most of the other good ones have already been said but what about changlings and warforged, both have flavour text saying they're discriminated against due to their race?

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 08:14 PM
Holy crap I love this concept.:smallsmile:
Half-fiends get a harsh rep, maybe thats why so many turn to evil:smallconfused: Most of the other good ones have already been said but what about changlings and warforged, both have flavour text saying they're discriminated against due to their race?

I'm glad you liked. It is happening in our crazy RL campaign. The Kobold was a little comic relief villain that every now and then the players have to face while going all over the world working for the god of madness, chaos and luck.

She was a comic relief until she killed one of them and became a goddess.

I'm using the Half- creatures because they're all outcasts (even I forgot about them). Goblins agree well with flavor.

Oh! I liked skulks, changelings and warforged - because they're not native of this setting. So they're lost and outcast on this world.

(And I'm not using drows because they have a drow (neutral) friend and I don't want to mix things).

Psyren
2011-12-20, 10:05 PM
If it weren't for the evil bit I'd suggest Sharakim.

If this goddess is meant to be draconic, maybe Spellscales?

gbprime
2011-12-20, 10:11 PM
I'm partial to Equiceph from Mini Handbook. They're already Lawful Evil outcasts in the fluff. :smallbiggrin:

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 10:16 PM
I'm partial to Equiceph from Mini Handbook. They're already Lawful Evil outcasts in the fluff. :smallbiggrin:

Mini handbook?

Psyren
2011-12-20, 10:18 PM
Mini handbook?

Sounds like shorthand for Miniatures Handbook.

(Get it? Shorthand? Miniature?)

lorddrake
2011-12-20, 10:48 PM
Sounds like shorthand for Miniatures Handbook.

(Get it? Shorthand? Miniature?)

Found it, Thanks.

Cieyrin
2011-12-21, 11:27 AM
Regardless of what you do, one of these generals/champions should have levels in Outcast Champion (Races of Destiny). :smallwink:

lorddrake
2011-12-21, 11:39 AM
Regardless of what you do, one of these generals/champions should have levels in Outcast Champion (Races of Destiny). :smallwink:

Oh! Nice thougth :smallamused:

Telonius
2011-12-21, 12:18 PM
Depending on the group, possibly Gnomes or Kender. Some folks are known to shoot them on sight. (Personally I don't find them particularly irritating, but ymmv).

Gullintanni
2011-12-21, 12:54 PM
Elves! I don't like Elves. My current campaign setting replaces them with Warforged. Far superior IMHO. :smallsmile:

lorddrake
2011-12-21, 02:10 PM
Elves! I don't like Elves. My current campaign setting replaces them with Warforged. Far superior IMHO. :smallsmile:

This actually goes well with the setting. The elves that exist are refugees from their destroyed kingdom. Even the elven goddess is losing power (and is responsible for the worst thing happening in the setting. I loved the idea!

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 03:35 PM
using the Half- creatures because they're all outcasts (even I forgot about them). Goblins agree well with flavor.

Oh! I liked skulks, changelings and warforged - because they're not native of this setting. So they're lost and outcast on this world.

(And I'm not using drows because they have a drow (neutral) friend and I don't want to mix things).

Glad you liked them, mind you drow aren't really outcast so much as their entire races is in time out in the underdark until they promise to behave themselves.:smalltongue:

DarkestKnight
2011-12-21, 03:58 PM
The Fey'Ri of Races of Faerun have a special spot in my heart. they are half demon half high elves, and fit the role of outcasts. If i remember correctly they worship a demon queen because no one else wanted them, but they still tend towards good alignment.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 04:04 PM
Have you thought about half-fey, they get kicked out of any sort of faerie court(seelie, but not unseelie) for being half-breed and generally have butterfly wings stick out of their back,making it slightly difficult to fit in with their other races.

nyarlathotep
2011-12-21, 08:27 PM
You could also have specific famous outcasts like the genie whose blunder cause his brothers to be enslaved by the yakfolk.

Rogue modrons also fit specifically those that were corrupted to lawful evil by exposure to the lower planes.

Madara
2011-12-21, 08:35 PM
Drow? Mongrelfolk? Goblins. Everybody hates goblins, and what did they ever do to you?!

Goblins, definitely goblins. Goblins deserve your tears (http://www.goblindefensefund.org/history.html)

Cieyrin
2011-12-21, 08:56 PM
You could also have specific famous outcasts like the genie whose blunder cause his brothers to be enslaved by the yakfolk.

Rogue modrons also fit specifically those that were corrupted to lawful evil by exposure to the lower planes.

They're rogue modrons, they can go whatever alignment direction they want. Hell, they could stay the same, since you only need to be within one step of your deity.

nyarlathotep
2011-12-21, 09:55 PM
They're rogue modrons, they can go whatever alignment direction they want. Hell, they could stay the same, since you only need to be within one step of your deity.

Rogue modrons can go rogue for any number of reasons. Usually if they go rogue for a specific reason then their end alignment is determined by that, usually.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 10:00 PM
Rogue modrons can go rogue for any number of reasons. Usually if they go rogue for a specific reason then their end alignment is determined by that, usually.

Went rogue from boredom, now CN and hangs around limbo with the slaadi:smalltongue: