PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Speed Racer

Strormer
2011-12-20, 04:39 PM
Right, so we're playing an anime themed game and one of my players wants to play a variation on speed racer, where his car is super powered and awesome and his actual character is basically inept without it.
We were going to play BESM 3, but the group is getting that feeling like the system doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'm suggesting the group use Pathfinder. Most of the characters will work just fine, the magical girl will be a cleric, the telekenetic can be either psionic or a wiz, and the cat girl can just be a cat girl species of whatever she wants. The hard one is my speed racer player.
I'm thinking I can make him a rogue and then just have him use all of his skills and abilities through his car, sorta like a magical mount. So I guess what I'm asking is what does the playground think? Is there a better way to build him? Will he even have fun with this character in Pathfinder?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-20, 04:47 PM
Right, so we're playing an anime themed game and one of my players wants to play a variation on speed racer, where his car is super powered and awesome and his actual character is basically inept without it.
We were going to play BESM 3, but the group is getting that feeling like the system doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'm suggesting the group use Pathfinder. Most of the characters will work just fine, the magical girl will be a cleric, the telekenetic can be either psionic or a wiz, and the cat girl can just be a cat girl species of whatever she wants. The hard one is my speed racer player.
I'm thinking I can make him a rogue and then just have him use all of his skills and abilities through his car, sorta like a magical mount. So I guess what I'm asking is what does the playground think? Is there a better way to build him? Will he even have fun with this character in Pathfinder?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

Id say Synthesist Summoner... basically inept without the eidolon, which he basically wears as a sort of armor suit.

jaybird
2011-12-20, 07:16 PM
Seconding Synthesist. Excellent class for pilot-type characters.

Novawurmson
2011-12-20, 09:58 PM
Id say Synthesist Summoner... basically inept without the eidolon, which he basically wears as a sort of armor suit.

I would recommend AGAINST the Synthesist Summoner. That's an unbalanced rules-conundrum mess. A regular Summoner with the Mount evolution on his Eidolon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons) that he could ride around would be nice. A Ranger or Paladin who rides around on their "animal companion"/"special mount" could work.

Pathfinder has rules for vehicles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/vehicles). Never attempted to use them.

Strormer
2011-12-20, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys, I like the vehicles rules. I think I'll play around with various mechanical augmentations. Not completely sure.
As a side note, I'm only now switching from 3.5 to PF. Does PF have specific rules for psionics or is it just upconvert the XPH and that's that?
Edit: Sorry, I just saw psionics on the side of the SRD.