PDA

View Full Version : TV By The Numbers's Renew/Cancel Index (relative ratings for TV shows)

Lord Seth
2011-12-20, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure if many people here pay much attention to TV ratings, but I do know a lot of people watch TV, so I thought it might be interesting to share the final fall results of TV By The Number's Renew/Cancel Index (they reset them after the winter hiatus) if they were wondering how their favorite/least favorite shows were doing.

If you're curious about what this is, it consists of calculating a show's average score in the 18-49 demographic (the most important demographic for broadcast TV), then dividing it by that channel's average. So if it gets a 0.75, it means it's 75% of the average, and if it gets a 1.50, it means it's 50% above the average. It's a pretty cool way to see how shows are doing on their respective channels, and thus making estimates on their chances of renewal. Obviously, a number of factors affect this also (for example, shows on Friday have lower ratings and thus lower expectations, and there's also syndication economics to consider), but it's still useful, and certainly interesting to look at.

A few notes: Again I stress these are relative to the network's average. So a 1.5 for NBC is going to be a different absolute rating than a 1.5 for CBS. But NBC and CBS don't renew their shows based on how other networks are doing, they base it on how they're doing. Also, this factors in only scripted shows, not reality shows. Finally, the renewal chances for both Whitney and Up All Night are going to be decided considerably by how they do in their new time slots this spring rather than how they did in their fall slots, so take their numbers with a grain of salt.

Shows italicized are shows that won't be renewed, either because they've been canceled or are ending. Shows bolded are already renewed. A show with an "(F)" means it airs on Friday and thus has lower expectations, meaning it might get renewed despite ratings that would get it canceled on other days. And so, without further ado...

ABC (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/20/abc-a-lump-of-coal-in-their-stocking-which-shows-would-you-cancel-poll/114202/):
0.48 Charlie's Angels
0.66 Man Up
0.66 Body of Proof
0.71 Pan Am
0.88 Private Practice
0.89 Castle
0.94 Revenge
1.00 Last Man Standing
1.03 The Middle
1.04 Desperate Housewives
1.07 Suburgatory
1.09 Happy Endings
1.27 Once Upon a Time
1.30 Grey's Anatomy
1.97 Modern Family

CBS (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/20/cbs-silent-night-canceled-show-which-shows-would-you-cancel-poll/114203/):
0.38 A Gifted Man (F)
0.51 CSI: New York (F)
0.56 Blue Bloods (F)
0.62 The Good Wife
0.65 CSI: Miami
0.74 Unforgettable
0.74 How to be a Gentleman
0.80 The Mentalist
0.84 Person of Interest
0.84 CSI
0.93 Hawaii Five-0
1.02 Rules of Engagement
1.03 NCIS: Los Angeles
1.12 Criminal Minds
1.21 NCIS
1.26 Mike & Molly
1.35 How I Met Your Mother
1.43 2 Broke Girls
1.50 The Big Bang Theory
1.80 Two and a Half Men

CW (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/20/cw-ho-ho-ho-which-shows-gotta-go-poll/114204/):
0.70 Nikita (F)
0.79 Gossip Girl
0.90 Hart of Dixie
0.93 Supernatural (F)
0.94 90210
0.98 Ringer
1.14 The Secret Circle
1.72 The Vampire Diaries

Fox (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/20/fox-naughty-or-nice-which-shows-would-you-cancel-poll/114205/):
0.45 Fringe (F)
0.72 Allen Gregory
0.81 I Hate My Teenage Daughter
0.85 The Cleveland Show
0.91 Terra Nova
0.92 Raising Hope
0.92 American Dad
1.01 Bones
1.03 House
1.20 Glee
1.20 Family Guy
1.23 The Simpsons
1.40 New Girl

NBC (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/20/nbc-the-cancellation-bears-christmas-dinner-which-shows-would-you-cancel-poll/114206/):
0.50 Chuck (F)
0.65 Harry's Law
0.66 Free Agents
0.67 The Playboy Club
0.70 Prime Suspect
0.86 Community
0.91 Grimm (F)
1.05 Parks & Recreation
1.11 Parenthood
1.13 Law & Order: SVU
1.15 Up All Night
1.18 Whitney
1.70 The Office

Kaez
2011-12-21, 07:04 AM
Fringe might get canned? Pff, that's Fox for you. Could never tell what was good and bad except for the Seth MacFarlene Sunday (and Simpsons) and House/Raising Hope/X Factor/American Idol (though I don't agree those last two are considered "good").

But this is the station that brought you "Terra Nova", which basically amounts to something that's been done 10 years ago at least but worse.

Bah, I liked Pan Am....

Friv
2011-12-21, 11:03 AM
Fringe might get canned? Pff, that's Fox for you.

You know, you can't just say "That's Fox for you" whenever something you like isn't doing well. Fringe got four full-length seasons. Over seventy episodes. It it not Fox's fault that the show is slowly tanking.

I mean, you are totally within your rights to say "Fringe isn't doing well? That sucks!" For example, I think it is a freaking travesty that the Cleveland Show isn't getting cancelled. I think it is a travesty that it wasn't cancelled after the pilot. I'm not going to blame Fox, though, because I assume that for cost reasons it's doing well.

I blame the viewers.

comicshorse
2011-12-21, 11:16 AM
I thought ABC had denied 'Pan Am' was being cancelled

Lord Seth
2011-12-21, 12:26 PM
Fringe might get canned? Pff, that's Fox for you.That's also CBS, ABC, The CW, and NBC for you. On every network, the lowest-rated show might get canceled. It's nothing unique about Fox in the slightest.
I thought ABC had denied 'Pan Am' was being cancelledBased on their actions, it's currently de facto canceled, despite their claims.

Starwulf
2011-12-21, 04:19 PM
Huzzah that Terra Nova is doing pretty decent, and that Once Upon a Time is kicking ass and taking names! Even happier that Allen Gregory has already been cancelled. Now, if only the new Napoleon Dynamite show sucks as well I can rest easy that all idiotic shows are not sticking around. Surprised New Girl hasn't been renewed yet with it having the highest ratings on Fox. Sucks about Fringe :-(. Love that show, I hope they manage to wrap it up/conclude it satisfactorily if they don't get renewed for another season. Really, they just need to move it out of the damn Friday slot. Too many people are off drinking at bars and what not on Friday nights to bother watching television. Put it back on Thursday or whenever it used to be, I'd wager it's ratings would go back up a bit.

Shyftir
2011-12-21, 04:32 PM
You give me hope that community might survive. Perhaps if it wasn't running opposite of Big Bang Theory...

Lord Seth
2011-12-21, 10:27 PM
Put it back on Thursday or whenever it used to be, I'd wager it's ratings would go back up a bit.Problem is, it wasn't doing that well on Thursday either before it was moved. Sure, it was doing better than it currently is, but Thursday standards are different than Friday standards.

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about. Last season, Blue Bloods did, for a Friday show, pretty well (especially considering its 10PM timeslot). CBS, probably hoping that it would do better off Friday, moved it to Wednesday midseason. And the ratings did indeed go up...slightly. But ratings that are good for Friday--even if increased a little--are not good enough for Wednesday. It took them only a few weeks to move it back to Friday. It did get renewed for a second season, and it's actually currently the strongest show on all of broadcast TV on Friday...but the ratings it's currently getting would not be acceptable on the other weekdays, even if they were increased a little from the move.

So, yes, Fringe would do better if moved back to Thursday...but would it do better enough? That's the key question. And based on how it was doing on Thursday before the move to Friday...I'm not sure it'd be any better off there than it is on Friday. To be honest, I think part of the problem is content. I think they've really been dragging things out too much, and I feel that's driving some of the viewers away. I know I'm less interested in it than I used to be.

Kaez
2011-12-22, 06:59 AM
Well, see when I say "That's Fox for you" I mean, if you were to list off all the cancelled shows over the years on Fox (ala Family Guy after they got canned and put back on the air) I think that in itself would prove my point. They cancel more and more shows over a year than any other network.

Hell before the new season started they canned I think 5 shows. Some mid-season, some not. Maybe it would be more cost effective for them to just run more syndicated stuff in the empty slots then make new shows they'll can in less than a season (THEY OWN a bunch of shows that they can easily syndicate during Mid-Season, much of it with enough seasons to make it not extremely boring).

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-22, 08:51 AM
Fringe might get canned? Pff, that's Fox for you. Could never tell what was good and bad except especially the Seth MacFarlene Sunday (except Simpsons)

I treated this sentence for an excessive amount of irony

Friv
2011-12-22, 09:08 AM
Well, see when I say "That's Fox for you" I mean, if you were to list off all the cancelled shows over the years on Fox (ala Family Guy after they got canned and put back on the air) I think that in itself would prove my point. They cancel more and more shows over a year than any other network.

That's because they take more risks and give more shows a shot than any other network.

Hell before the new season started they canned I think 5 shows. Some mid-season, some not. Maybe it would be more cost effective for them to just run more syndicated stuff in the empty slots then make new shows they'll can in less than a season (THEY OWN a bunch of shows that they can easily syndicate during Mid-Season, much of it with enough seasons to make it not extremely boring).

Yeah, Fox takes more risks. Isn't that a good thing? Would you rather live in a world where Firefly didn't make it past the pilot, because no one wanted it at all?

Cristo Meyers
2011-12-22, 01:44 PM
So, yes, Fringe would do better if moved back to Thursday...but would it do better enough? That's the key question. And based on how it was doing on Thursday before the move to Friday...I'm not sure it'd be any better off there than it is on Friday. To be honest, I think part of the problem is content. I think they've really been dragging things out too much, and I feel that's driving some of the viewers away. I know I'm less interested in it than I used to be.

Isn't Fringe also notorious for being very, very difficult to jump in at the middle? I know I caught an episode a while back and had absolutely no idea what was going on or why it was important, and I even knew about some of the show's twists.

For me, really the only show I'm interested in is Grimm. For a Friday timeslot it looks to be doing really well (well, for NBC anyway). I thought they were going to give it a trial run on a Thursday timeslot? If they do I hope the ratings still hold up, I'd really hate to lose one of the maybe 4 remaining TV shows I still watch.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-22, 06:50 PM
1.80 Two and a Half Men

There is no God.

Kaez
2011-12-22, 08:13 PM
That's because they take more risks and give more shows a shot than any other network.

Yeah, Fox takes more risks. Isn't that a good thing? Would you rather live in a world where Firefly didn't make it past the pilot, because no one wanted it at all?

Yes but they waste money by doing so, and it's clear that a very large chunk of their new offerings each year are terrible.

And Firefly, I could take it or leave it. Not that it was a bad show, but as far as sci-fi goes it was meh IMO. Serenity was good though.

Also, do the ratings also include stats for PVR recordings and online viewership on the channels websites (if they provide full episodes online)

Lord Seth
2011-12-22, 09:24 PM
Well, see when I say "That's Fox for you" I mean, if you were to list off all the cancelled shows over the years on Fox (ala Family Guy after they got canned and put back on the air) I think that in itself would prove my point.First off, even if that's true, that's irrelevant. Your complaint was that they might cancel Fringe. That's it. That they might. Not that they did. Not that they were making steps towards it (e.g. cutting its episode order). That they might. I correctly pointed out that with the relative ratings it was getting (and for that matter, the absolute ratings) it might get canceled on any of the big 4 networks.

They cancel more and more shows over a year than any other network.Well, actually, if we look at last season...

ABC canceled 9 shows (10 if you count Supernanny): Better With You, Brothers & Sisters, Detroit 1-8-7, Mr. Sunshine, My Generation, No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, The Whole Truth, and V.
CBS canceled 6 shows: $#*! My Dad Says, Chaos, Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, Mad Love, Medium, and The Defenders.
Fox canceled 7 shows (8 if we count Breaking In or America's Most Wanted; 9 if we count both): Human Target, Lie to Me, Lone Star, Running Wilde, The Chicago Code, The Good Guys, and Traffic Light.
NBC canceled 9 shows (10 if you count the delayed-until-summer Love Bites): Chase, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Outlaw, Outsourced, Perfect Couples, The Cape, The Event, The Paul Reiser Show, and Undercovers.

Unless I missed some shows, both NBC and ABC canceled as many as or more shows (depending on how you count them) than Fox last season.

Now let's look at the shows canceled so far this season:

ABC canceled 3 shows (4 if you count Desperate Housewives): Charlie's Angels, Man Up, and Pan Am.
CBS canceled 1 show: How to be a Gentleman.
NBC canceled 3 shows (4 shows if you count Chuck): Free Agents, The Playboy Club, and Prime Suspect.
Fox canceled 1 show: Allen Gregory.

Hrm. Looks like ABC and NBC canceled more again. Admittedly, this is only halfway through the season, but Fox certainly hasn't done more canceling than anyone else...in fact, they've done less than ABC and NBC.

Now let's look at the TV season before last season. I may have missed something, but from what I can gather...

ABC canceled 10 shows (11 if you count True Beauty): Better Off Ted, Scrubs, The Deep End, Hank, Ugly Betty, The Forgotten, Eastwick, Happy Town, FlashForward, and Romantically Challenged.
CBS canceled 8 shows: Miami Medical, Cold Case, Three Rivers, Numb3rs, Accidentally on Purpose, Ghost Whisperer, The New Adventures of Of Old Christine, and Gary Unmarried.
NBC canceled 4 shows (5 shows if you count The Jay Leno Show): Law & Order, Mercy, Trauma, and Heroes.
Fox canceled 5 shows (6 shows if you count 24): Dollhouse, Brothers, 'Til Death, Sons of Tucson, and Past Life.

Huh. CBS and ABC canceled more shows than Fox.

So I'm not seeing where this "Fox cancels more shows" comes from.

Incidentally, to explain: The shows listed in parentheses are shows that may not have necessarily been "canceled" in that season. Chuck and Desperate Housewives were announced for final seasons, so that might not really be a cancellation; Supernanny ended because the main person quit; The Jay Leno Show was reformatted to a late night show; America's Most Wanted was changed to a quarterly show; Breaking In was un-canceled; for 24, the writers told Fox that they had no ideas for another season, which coupled with its declining ratings caused them to end it, so you make the call whether that counts as a cancellation; True Beauty arguably counts as part of the season before the one being mentioned; and Love Bites, as noted above, was delayed so long it might not even count as part of the season.
Also, do the ratings also include stats for PVR recordingsThey're calculated by Live+Same Day viewings.
and online viewership on the channels websites (if they provide full episodes online)Nope, no online viewership recorded. That information isn't available to the public, and even if it was, I'm not sure how it could really be calculated into it. At any rate, that's not what it's measuring anyway.

gadren
2011-12-22, 10:52 PM
And Firefly, I could take it or leave it. Not that it was a bad show, but as far as sci-fi goes it was meh IMO.
You sir, have lost ALL credibility in this discussion!
;-P

Vacant
2011-12-22, 11:02 PM
It wasn't terrible, but I really didn't get what all the fuss was about. Whedon really should've quit while he was ahead.

Weezer
2011-12-22, 11:08 PM
It wasn't terrible, but I really didn't get what all the fuss was about. Whedon really should've quit while he was ahead.

So, after season three of Buffy? :smalltongue:

gadren
2011-12-23, 12:17 AM
Firefly was one of the best shows ever, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong by virtue of disagreeing with me.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 01:47 AM
You give me hope that community might survive. Perhaps if it wasn't running opposite of Big Bang Theory...

Honestly, Community has been getting worse and worse in my opinion. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I switched it off half-way through the recent Glee Club episode, and once I saw that the one episode was stop-motion animation I didn't even bother.

Vacant
2011-12-23, 03:37 AM

I think most of season four was still decent, really, although that was definitely the beginning of the end. I'll even give him up until the musical episode, purely for the sake of the musical episode, if I'm feeling charitable.

I still like Community, on the whole, but it's definitely gotten to be more hit-or-miss of late. Even so, if you ask me, most of the "misses" have been mediocre at worst.

Selrahc
2011-12-23, 03:48 AM
Honestly, Community has been getting worse and worse in my opinion. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I switched it off half-way through the recent Glee Club episode, and once I saw that the one episode was stop-motion animation I didn't even bother.

I still like Community, on the whole, but it's definitely gotten to be more hit-or-miss of late. Even so, if you ask me, most of the "misses" have been mediocre at worst.

You guys suck. :smalltongue:

Look at episodes like Remedial Chaos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsE5JtY2WiE) Theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g8bUt9toVM) and tell me this show is slacking.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 03:50 AM

Look at episodes like Remedial Chaos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsE5JtY2WiE) Theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g8bUt9toVM) and tell me this show is slacking.

Honestly, I couldn't stand that episode.:smalltongue:

Friv
2011-12-23, 08:38 AM
On the Firefly front, I honestly feel like it was more a matter of when and how it ended. It's not the best show I have ever watched, but it is the one with the most potential that was cut off too soon.

If Firefly had gotten three seasons, say, I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be no more cherished than many other "great but not life-altering" shows out there. The fact that it died so soon is really what made the fans become devoted.

This interests me, because it reminds me how staggeringly different peoples' opinions can be. To me, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (the stop-motion one) was the second-best episode of Season Two, and the Glee Club episode was the strongest episode of this season and one of my favorites overall. (Also, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas came out a year ago, so I'm not sure you can use it as an example of why Community is weaker this year. Unless I misunderstood?)

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 11:54 AM
This interests me, because it reminds me how staggeringly different peoples' opinions can be. To me, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas (the stop-motion one) was the second-best episode of Season Two, and the Glee Club episode was the strongest episode of this season and one of my favorites overall. (Also, Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas came out a year ago, so I'm not sure you can use it as an example of why Community is weaker this year. Unless I misunderstood?)

Both the Glee club and Christmas episodes I mentioned I saw this year. The glee club in the episode was treated as some sort of mind control cult (And as anybody who talks to me on a consistent basis knows, Mind control severely squicks me out) and the stop motion Christmas episode I mentioned was on just last week. I guess they could have been repeats though.

Maxios
2011-12-23, 11:59 AM
I really hope Terra Nova gets renewed.

Weezer
2011-12-23, 12:08 PM
Both the Glee club and Christmas episodes I mentioned I saw this year. The glee club in the episode was treated as some sort of mind control cult (And as anybody who talks to me on a consistent basis knows, Mind control severely squicks me out) and the stop motion Christmas episode I mentioned was on just last week. I guess they could have been repeats though.

Stop motions Christmas was a re-run, the glee one was not. Generally shows don't have two Christmas episodes in one season.

It also seems to be unfair to say it's going downhill due to the fact that they chose a plot device (mind control) that squicks you out.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 12:27 PM
Stop motions Christmas was a re-run, the glee one was not. Generally shows don't have two Christmas episodes in one season.

It also seems to be unfair to say it's going downhill due to the fact that they chose a plot device (mind control) that squicks you out.

That wasn't the only thing. The season as a whole has just seemed worse to me from Remedial Chaos Theory onwards.

I didn't realize that the Stop-motion animated one was a repeat. My mistake there. Should have checked that on IMDB first.

I also don't see how it's unfair to say that it's getting worse in my own opinion due to an element I don't like. I explicitly said it was in my own opinion, and my own opinion is influenced by my likes and dislikes. :smallconfused:

Friv
2011-12-23, 02:39 PM
That wasn't the only thing. The season as a whole has just seemed worse to me from Remedial Chaos Theory onwards.

Fair enough, I've found every episode of the season to be superior to the one before it. (actually, wait, I preferred Documentary Redux to the batman/foosball one, so not quite a straight line). Pierce's father ("The Swedes intermarried with Laplanders. They're practically Finns"), the absurd Halloween stories, the brilliant appearance by Luis Guzman... I'm really, really enjoying Season 3, is what I'm saying.

I also don't see how it's unfair to say that it's getting worse in my own opinion due to an element I don't like. I explicitly said it was in my own opinion, and my own opinion is influenced by my likes and dislikes. :smallconfused:

Okay, this I can explain. There are two very distinct reasons for not liking things, and they make a big difference. The first is quality, the second is taste.

If the problem is quality, you are saying that you believe that something is objectively not good. If the problem is taste, you are saying that the thing might be good, but you won't like it anyway because it is not to your taste. For example, I dislike medical dramas, so I don't like House. It might be good, and I've been told that it is. But it's not my thing. On the other hand, I consider Eragon to be a poorly written book. Others might feel it is good, but I will actually disagree with them.

In your case, you said that you felt the season was going downhill, and used the glee club episode as an example, creating a direct link between a statement of poor quality and that episode. When you then give a reason of taste for that opinion, it suggests that there is no distinction between quality and taste.

Cheesegear
2011-12-23, 06:58 PM
Thanks to this list, I now know what to watch! The Friday night slots bug me a little bit. Nikita is alright. It's no Alias, but it's certainly not bad. Same with Fringe. Everyone I talk to raves about the show - as do I. In Australia, the 'Friday Night Death Slot' isn't actually a thing. Especially if you factor in online viewings or DVD watchings - which I know this list doesn't.

Chuck. Yeah. I felt that the last Season was pretty terrible. But this season they're doing very well. Maybe it's because they know they're being cancelled* and they're pulling out all the stops because they can?

* Sometimes I don't know whether or not a show is being cancelled, or it's just ending and the writers have had enough. In Chuck's case, yeah, it's cancellation.

On the Firefly front, I honestly feel like it was more a matter of when and how it ended.
[...]
If Firefly had gotten three seasons [...] The fact that it died so soon is really what made the fans become devoted.

Agreed. I like Firefly. It isn't bad.
But, then I watch, say, the first 14 episodes (watching anything more isn't fair) of BSG, or the same first of any 3 of the Stargate franchises, Firefly doesn't really measure up.

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 07:08 PM
Okay, this I can explain. There are two very distinct reasons for not liking things, and they make a big difference. The first is quality, the second is taste.

If the problem is quality, you are saying that you believe that something is objectively not good. If the problem is taste, you are saying that the thing might be good, but you won't like it anyway because it is not to your taste. For example, I dislike medical dramas, so I don't like House. It might be good, and I've been told that it is. But it's not my thing. On the other hand, I consider Eragon to be a poorly written book. Others might feel it is good, but I will actually disagree with them.

In your case, you said that you felt the season was going downhill, and used the glee club episode as an example, creating a direct link between a statement of poor quality and that episode. When you then give a reason of taste for that opinion, it suggests that there is no distinction between quality and taste.

Ah. Sorry for being unclear then. I just meant that I didn't particularly like this season.

I don't want it to be cancelled or anything, I just want it to start being a little more to my taste. The only things I really watch any more are Big Bang Theory, and Parks and Recreation. I'm going to give it a few more chances, but I'm considering just switching to the Big Bang theory full time.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-12-23, 07:17 PM

Pssh everyone knows his Magnum Opus was Dr. Horrible.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-23, 09:50 PM
Agreed. I like Firefly. It isn't bad.
But, then I watch, say, the first 14 episodes (watching anything more isn't fair) of BSG, or the same first of any 3 of the Stargate franchises, Firefly doesn't really measure up.

I dunno, excepting the first three episodes (including the two part pilot), I think Firefly averages out a little better than SG-1. Never watched Atlantis, BSG, or...whatever the new Stargate was called.

Lord Seth
2011-12-23, 10:05 PM
Thanks to this list, I now know what to watch! The Friday night slots bug me a little bit. Nikita is alright. It's no Alias, but it's certainly not bad. Same with Fringe. Everyone I talk to raves about the show - as do I.Personally, I love Nikita and desperately hope The CW keeps it around. It's tough to know how much being on Friday counts for The CW, though, as we haven't had much of a benchmark for figuring it out (admittedly, outside of CBS, there isn't much of a benchmark for any of the networks for Friday). True, Supernatural was renewed last year on Friday...but Supernatural was doing so well last year that renewal would've been extremely likely even it was on another day, so it doesn't tell us much of anything as to what kind of "threshold" there might be.

At least The Vampire Diaries is doing well.
Chuck. Yeah. I felt that the last Season was pretty terrible. But this season they're doing very well. Maybe it's because they know they're being cancelled* and they're pulling out all the stops because they can?

* Sometimes I don't know whether or not a show is being cancelled, or it's just ending and the writers have had enough. In Chuck's case, yeah, it's cancellation.I don't know about that. Did the writers/producers make any comments to indicate it was a cancellation, e.g. saying they had more ideas for other seasons, or that it was something the network decided by itself? My guess is that it's something like 24 or Desperate Housewives, where declining ratings gave the network less of a reason to keep it on, and the producers agreed it was a decent time to end it.

Vacant
2011-12-23, 10:42 PM

I said it had gone to being "hit or miss." "Remedial Chaos Theory" was a hit, the Foosball episode was a miss, for example. Again, the misses have still been okay, they just haven't been as great as I'd come to expect.

Pssh everyone knows his Magnum Opus was Dr. Horrible.

Hm, I think I will consider this the exception that proves my rule. :smalltongue:

gadren
2011-12-23, 10:56 PM
* Sometimes I don't know whether or not a show is being cancelled, or it's just ending and the writers have had enough. In Chuck's case, yeah, it's cancellation.
Actually the creator and writers for Chuck said they planned to make this the last season back in July because they felt it had run its course and it was time to wrap the story up.

Cheesegear
2011-12-23, 11:04 PM
Actually the creator and writers for Chuck said they planned to make this the last season back in July because they felt it had run its course and it was time to wrap the story up.

Really? The show's been cancelled once already and on 'threatened' status ever since Season 3. I just assumed they had finally lost the battle and were being cancelled.
But if Chuck is ending, that makes it a little bit better.

Lord Seth
2011-12-23, 11:31 PM
Really? The show's been cancelled once alreadyWhen?
and on 'threatened' status ever since Season 3.Since season 3? It's been that way since season 2...