PDA

View Full Version : Good 2nd Level Spell for an Eternal Wand

Jeff the Green
2011-12-20, 06:55 PM
Long story short, I need to choose a 2nd level spell for an eternal wand. Our party is level 8, and consists of a Beguiler/Mindbender (me), Swashbuckler/Assassin, and a Ninja. All of us are pretty stealth focused.

Right now I'm thinking either Alter Self, since we don't have any other mechanism for flight, or Heroics.

Any other suggestions?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-20, 06:58 PM
How about haste from a Trapsmith listh? Rope trick is also nice if you have the GP for at least 8 CL so you never need to camp out in the open again.

Coidzor
2011-12-20, 07:23 PM
While, upon doublechecking, I find that Hound of Doom is a 3rd level spell from Complete Warrior, this hexblade spell is always useful for a gish or someone who just needs a flanking buddy, such as a rogue.

As it spawns with one's BAB and HP. Or 1/2 of one's HP, one of those two.

So not something for now but something to consider in the future.

As for 2nd level spells, hmm, I'm blanking out all of a sudden. Alter Self is a decent one. Wraithstrike would be as well for certain people, if the game is long enough, have one or two wraithstrike eternal wands and a wand hilt and switching them out will eventually balance out against the cost of a regular wand of it. But, probably better to go with the regular wand for better distribution/novaing...

Hmm...

sreservoir
2011-12-20, 08:17 PM
uses your full BAB, and its hit points when created are equal to your full normal hit points.

amusingly, it doesn't necessarily have your BAB, it just uses it; and its maximum hit points are likely to be less then its initial hit points.

Draz74
2011-12-20, 10:18 PM
Heroics is my favorite option. Why look further? :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-12-20, 10:32 PM
Note that the buff from an EW is only 6th-level maximum, so don't pick something that's likely to get dispelled.

Alter Self gets you a max of 2 hours of transformation/day (1hr/use) so be careful with that one also.

Alienist
2011-12-21, 07:17 AM
Knock for those pesky locks that even taking 20 can't open?

Invisibility, Detect Magic Only a level one, and more to ease the book-keeping (e.g. "okay, we loot the whole dungeon, then use Detect Magic on the pile)

Can you put Identify into an Eternal Wand? If so, would it cost... 900? (800 for the wand, 100 for the additional material cost?)

Ravens_cry
2011-12-21, 07:23 AM
I don't think wands work like that. I think the material component cost applies to each charge. Since an Eternal wand cost is equivalent to 100 charges, I think, it's quite a bit more.

Psyren
2011-12-21, 09:34 AM
I don't think wands work like that. I think the material component cost applies to each charge. Since an Eternal wand cost is equivalent to 100 charges, I think, it's quite a bit more.

Well... sort of. You're correct that wands need multiple copies of material components: ("Fifty of each needed material component are required, one for each charge." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWands)) You would thus need 50 pearls, i.e. 5000 gp of material components to make a wand of Identify in addition to the other costs.

However, Eternal Wands don't double this cost. They are powered by Eberron shards, which can either be bought (100 gp) or attuned yourself via Craft Wondrous Item, and spending 50 gp + 4 xp. This cost is a flat cost added to the price of the wand. So making an Eternal Wand of Identify is in fact not much more expensive than creating a regular one, all things considered.

This might not sound balanced, but keep in mind that with a regular wand of Identify you could potentially identify 50 items in a single day, whereas with an EW of Identify the same task would take you 25 days to do. In addition, the CL of Eternal Wands are capped at 6, while that of regular wands are not, making many kinds of spells (e.g. buffs and offensive magic) impractical in an eternal wand at higher levels.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-21, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the correction.:smallsmile:

Swooper
2011-12-21, 11:26 AM
You're far better off buying an Artificer's Monocle (MIC) for 1500gp than an Eternal Wand of Identify, though. For a single casting of Detect Magic it identifies as many items as you want automatically, and much quicker too. First item any party (with a spellcaster) should buy as far as I'm concerned.

For the wand, how about blur? Miss chances are always solid defense, and in a stealthy party like yours concealment is extra useful because it lets you make hide checks.

Edit: Oh wait, beguiler has that already. Guess Alter Self is better!

Psyren
2011-12-21, 11:42 AM
You're far better off buying an Artificer's Monocle (MIC) for 1500gp than an Eternal Wand of Identify, though. For a single casting of Detect Magic it identifies as many items as you want automatically, and much quicker too. First item any party (with a spellcaster) should buy as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the benefit to the Eternal Wand option is that any arcanist (or even just anybody, with Magical Training) can use it, without even needing UMD or Detect Magic. For instance, a Warmage. (No Detect Magic? Man, they got shafted.)

As far as adventuring parties though, I agree with you - the Monocle is much more practical.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-21, 11:46 AM
Well... sort of. You're correct that wands need multiple copies of material components: ("Fifty of each needed material component are required, one for each charge." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWands)) You would thus need 50 pearls, i.e. 5000 gp of material components to make a wand of Identify in addition to the other costs.

However, Eternal Wands don't double this cost. They are powered by Eberron shards, which can either be bought (100 gp) or attuned yourself via Craft Wondrous Item, and spending 50 gp + 4 xp. This cost is a flat cost added to the price of the wand. So making an Eternal Wand of Identify is in fact not much more expensive than creating a regular one, all things considered.

This might not sound balanced, but keep in mind that with a regular wand of Identify you could potentially identify 50 items in a single day, whereas with an EW of Identify the same task would take you 25 days to do. In addition, the CL of Eternal Wands are capped at 6, while that of regular wands are not, making many kinds of spells (e.g. buffs and offensive magic) impractical in an eternal wand at higher levels.

Meh. If you want identify, just get an Artificer's Monocle for 1,500 gold. Screw all the other stuff.

I like Wings of Cover, personally. It's like a no button for dying.

Cure spells also translate quite well to eternal wands(via bard list). You'll use em every day, most likely.

HMS Invincible
2011-12-21, 06:27 PM
What action does it take to activate an eternal wand? I could have sworn it was a standard.

Swooper
2011-12-21, 08:04 PM
What action does it take to activate an eternal wand? I could have sworn it was a standard.
Same action as casting the spell normally, as per Rules Compendium.

Tvtyrant
2011-12-21, 10:47 PM
You know what is a good spell for an eternal wand? Rhino's Rush. Double the damage done on a charge as a swift action. If you want to use a two-hander with it, you simply drop the wand as a free action after using it and then smack away.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-21, 10:53 PM
You know what is a good spell for an eternal wand? Rhino's Rush. Double the damage done on a charge as a swift action. If you want to use a two-hander with it, you simply drop the wand as a free action after using it and then smack away.

Wand Chambers say hi!:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-12-21, 11:03 PM

Mmm, wand chambers in a valorous lance. 4x damage of deliciousness! 5x with spirited charge.

Tvtyrant
2011-12-21, 11:18 PM
It is too bad you cannot also use Psionic Lion's Charge (from the Beast psicrown) for pounce or wraithstrike for deep power attacking. Needs moar swift actions.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-21, 11:48 PM
Ruby Knight Vinidicator with a splash in Prestige ranger XD?

Suddo
2011-12-22, 12:29 AM
Consolidated List of "Bargain Bin" Spells for Artificers (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661)

Good resource for you.

Draz74
2011-12-22, 03:56 AM

What arcane list is this spell on?

Darth_Versity
2011-12-22, 04:40 AM
Def Heroics, get a fighter feat for an hour and a half twice a day, yes please

Tvtyrant
2011-12-22, 05:23 AM
What arcane list is this spell on?

It is Divine. Paladin list.

Darth_Versity
2011-12-22, 07:50 AM

Eternal wands can only contain Arcane spells

Eisirt
2011-12-22, 10:24 AM
Cure Moderate Wounds (lvl 2 Bard) seems like an interesting option to me.

The basics would include:

Knock, Web, Swift Fly, Glitterdust, Heroism, Locate Object, Touch of Idiocy.

There a lots more.

I can imagine heaps of situations where the stat-boosting spells require multiple castings, but (as with many options) they are highly situational and dependant on the party and it's playstyle.

Talionis
2011-12-22, 10:33 AM
What about Whirling Blade attacking down a line of monsters can be useful for some builds.

Eisirt
2011-12-22, 10:54 AM
Hard to pull off consistently... getting your targets all nicely lined up for mediocre damage.

I have been looking into the Orb spell-line, but couldn't find a decent option for 2nd level (didn't spend much time looking for it tough...), but no save, no SR... just need a ranged touch attack to do damage.

Swooper
2011-12-22, 11:03 AM
I have been looking into the Orb spell-line, but couldn't find a decent option for 2nd level (didn't spend much time looking for it tough...), but no save, no SR... just need a ranged touch attack to do damage.
Acid Arrow comes to mind, though it's not exactly high damage. Scorching Ray is better, but allows SR.

Any spells that rely heavily on caster level (like most blast spells) are pretty crappy spells to put in wands, though. What's a CL3 2nd level orb-type spell going to do much damage? 3d6 maybe? Might as well bring a crossbow :smalltongue:

Incriptus
2011-12-22, 11:43 AM
What about Whirling Blade attacking down a line of monsters can be useful for some builds.

My Bard has a Crystal Echoblade with a wand hilt, containing an eternal ward of Whirling Blade. It's really easy to use twice a day, plus it's a spell makes no difference if you cast it from your spell slot or an eternal wand. It's hardly a game changer but It's a nice trick to have handy . . . one day I dream of getting an eternal wand of Sculpted Whirling blade, so it can look more like the picture in the book!

deuxhero
2011-12-22, 12:00 PM
Acid Arrow comes to mind, though it's not exactly high damage. Scorching Ray is better, but allows SR.

Any spells that rely heavily on caster level (like most blast spells) are pretty crappy spells to put in wands, though. What's a CL3 2nd level orb-type spell going to do much damage? 3d6 maybe? Might as well bring a crossbow :smalltongue:

One exception of note is for a rogue, who can SA off it.

Draz74
2011-12-22, 12:03 PM
One exception of note is for a rogue, who can SA off it.

But he can get SA off of a crossbow, too. :smallconfused: Or off of a much cheaper Wand of Acid Splash, if we're worried about getting touch attacks.

Coidzor
2011-12-22, 01:13 PM

Welp. No eternal wand for you then.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-22, 01:21 PM
Still it is a level 2 spell so it is somewhat cheap to wand it normally (I think it actually might be cheaper than a 2nd level eternal wand) and 50 charges is quite good.

Psyren
2011-12-22, 01:54 PM
Welp. No eternal wand for you then.

Archivist could make it, couldn't they? (Or a Warlock/Artificer making it as an Archivist would.)

Tekren
2011-12-22, 04:22 PM
Back to OP, I'm a little surprised no one said glitterdust. Keep it around for those pesky invisible things!

Swooper
2011-12-22, 05:10 PM
Back to OP, I'm a little surprised no one said glitterdust. Keep it around for those pesky invisible things!
It's been said already, and I'm pretty sure it's on the beguiler list.

dextercorvia
2011-12-22, 09:24 PM
Cure Moderate Wounds (lvl 2 Bard) seems like an interesting option to me.

6 Healing Belts and change would be a much better buy.

Wings of Peace
2011-12-22, 10:24 PM
Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is a solid choice if your group lacks (or is worried they'll soon lack) a skil monkey.

deuxhero
2011-12-22, 11:40 PM
It's a party of them so I doubt they do (still a good spell).

Coidzor
2011-12-23, 02:00 AM
Wieldskill come in arcane flavor?