PDA

View Full Version : Which Dragon (Wild Shape) Should I Choose

fencepainter
2011-12-20, 10:37 PM
My character is a druid 12 and has just taken Dragon Wild Shape from Dragonomicon. The DM has houseruled that I can only select ONE dragon to shape into. Which dragon should I choose? (from any wotc sources)

Urpriest
2011-12-21, 01:17 AM
I hear good things about Shadow and Fang dragons, depending on whether you want defenses, casting and breath or natural attacks.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-21, 02:52 AM
http://web.archive.org/web/20080919131238/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-404381

Look there for ideas!

fencepainter
2011-12-21, 08:59 AM
I'll check them out.

That waybackmachine link was great.

There are so many good options out there. Pick one is difficult.

Demon of Death
2011-12-21, 12:06 PM
Personally I like the Purple Dragon, it's in the Dragon Magazine Compendium, it's in the "Large" category for size, as defined in the Draconomicon, has a d10 Breath Weapon, basically like a Red Dragon but it's Breath Weapon deals untyped damage, so basically nothing affects it, plus it gets a 20th Caster Level instead of 19, so that helps. Oh and it can use it's breath weapon to make iterative attacks up to 4 at 1/2 of it's BW damage, as a touch attack,without it's Strength sadly, or it can permanently blind someone with it. Overall it's pretty good I'd say.

Albeit if you can't use the Compendium this entire post could be for naught.

Akto
2011-12-21, 12:44 PM
Personally i'm a big fan of the Pyroclastic Dragon (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Pyroclastic_dragon)

Immune to sonic and fire
Breath weapon that deals fire(meh) and sonic dmg
Breath weapon that is a line of disintegrate

I'm in...!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-21, 12:58 PM
IIRC Dragon wildshape only let's you wildshape into medium dragons, and I also suggest Shadow Dragon the energy drain breath weapon can be brutal :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2011-12-21, 01:53 PM
IIRC Dragon wildshape only let's you wildshape into medium dragons, and I also suggest Shadow Dragon the energy drain breath weapon can be brutal :smallbiggrin:

+1 to Shadow Dragon, who needs blast ?

Optimator
2011-12-21, 01:53 PM
The list starts and ends with Shadow Dragons. They are by far the superior choice for any and all dragon wildshapes.

fencepainter
2011-12-21, 02:56 PM
The list starts and ends with Shadow Dragons. They are by far the superior choice for any and all dragon wildshapes.

I like a strong suggestion. Why? Is it the breath weapon? What qualities make this the best choice? In what source does it appear?

Urpriest
2011-12-21, 03:25 PM
I like a strong suggestion. Why? Is it the breath weapon? What qualities make this the best choice? In what source does it appear?

The breath weapon gives negative levels, which is pretty nice. But the real gem is Shadow Blend, which gives you 50% concealment in anything less than full daylight. Plus, they've got very good air speed and mobility for a dragon of their size. They're all around great defensive options with quite a potent offense as well.

Edit: They're in Draconomicon, among other places.

Zaydos
2011-12-21, 03:31 PM
Also shadow dragons have higher natural armor for their hit dice than almost any other dragon (there might be another strange one that grants more than the normal HD -1).

Optimator
2011-12-21, 06:32 PM
Super speed and flight, immunity to negative levels, near-constant blur, the breath weapon, very high natural armor--due to shadow dragons being small for their age category.

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-21, 07:13 PM
If you don't like shadow dragons or aren't permitted to use them, consider Steel Dragons, which give you 200ft flight speed, an alter form ability, two forms of breath weapon--though one of them (the line of acid) is not explained all that well--and some heightened protection to lower level magic.

Tvtyrant
2011-12-21, 10:27 PM
Faerie Dragons are also pretty good, their breath weapon dazes enemies (best status ailment in the game ISPO). The save is a little low, but that can be raised with heighten breath. Mmmm, immediately shutting down every enemy within range.

Also, I believe that you can simply buy dragon-wildshape with the Armor of Dragonshape from the Draconomicon (p.118), which gives you the exact same thing except that you do not have to use a feat up on it. It's pretty cheap too.

Also also, there are Draughts of Metabreath Magic on p. 83 of the Draconomicon that let you use metabreaths without the feats. Just in case you want to make a rainbow collage of breath abilities.

fencepainter
2011-12-29, 01:47 PM
Thanks. These are great suggestions.