PDA

View Full Version : Class ideas for an Ender of Days (high power campaign)

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 10:11 AM
Recently I've been invited to join a campaign and play a character type I've never had the privilege to portray, a kind of "ragnarok" incarnate.

Long story short is that she is meant to be part of the major plot line that they rest of the party is in, finally meeting the figure they've heard could save/end the world in the end, and it's their goal to try and persuade her to the side of good (over the campaign of course).

The DM asked me to either find or create a class that will give the feel of a powerful magic user, but with a flare that feels particularly devastating or impacting to the field or the observer, power balance isn't an issue since he told me to purposefully break the character (it's a very high power campaign, the other party members are level 6, but can handle CR's of 20 and are nearly all melee fighters or bow users)

Her race is a merger of Vampire and Demilich with no phylactery (ridiculous I know, but the DM actually was equally ridiculously happy at the idea as the vampire blood that made her is meant to have been from the literal vampire god) and so has plently of support in and of herself, but now I need a class that will actually feel like an additive and meet the same flare that the DM asked for...problem being I have no clue what classes or combination there of would give the feel that was hoped for, or have many ideas on how to create such a class. He suggested also making it have a feel that it's pulling the character to be more evil with a "You CAN use this for good, but does it feel as good?" feel.

So I ask the good people of the internet for advice and idea's, can you help me?

EDIT- I may want to note that she's either chaotic or lawful neutral to start, not having to be evil

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 10:16 AM
go wizard/ur-priest/mystic theurge/arcane PrC, not only can you rewrite reality at your whim, you can steal power from the very gods themselves!:smallcool:
It would work for a vampire demilich(seriously?:smallamused:)

Jheska
2011-12-21, 10:18 AM
Dread necomancer? Possibly going into rainbow servant (using one of the adaptions) after level 8. Full caster, spontaneous list of debuffs and other necromantic horror and enough controlled undead to end the world yourself. Rainbow servant adds a ton of new spells to your list eventualy giving you the entire cleric list spontaneously.

Easy to use that for evil, potential for great good.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 10:24 AM
go wizard/ur-priest/mystic theurge/arcane PrC, not only can you rewrite reality at your whim, you can steal power from the very gods themselves!:smallcool:
It would work for a vampire demilich(seriously?:smallamused:)

Vamp/demilich...yeah I know :cool:

But we're starting at LEVEL 6, though this only limits our class powers then anything. I like the idea but I'm more wondering if theirs a class that could give a bit more unique feel. I can't help but think combos like that are done by cheese farms everywhere lol.

If nothing else I have that to fall back on at least, though if possible creating a whole new class is an awesome idea.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 10:25 AM
Dread necomancer? Possibly going into rainbow servant (using one of the adaptions) after level 8. Full caster, spontaneous list of debuffs and other necromantic horror and enough controlled undead to end the world yourself. Rainbow servant adds a ton of new spells to your list eventualy giving you the entire cleric list spontaneously.

Easy to use that for evil, potential for great good.

I've played one of those before, gotta say one of my favorites for flare alone, though not really the feel I'm hoping for, it's a bit limited and doesn't have the "theres only one of these guys at a time" shtick

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 10:26 AM
Vamp/demilich...yeah I know :cool:

But we're starting at LEVEL 6, though this only limits our class powers then anything. I like the idea but I'm more wondering if theirs a class that could give a bit more unique feel. I can't help but think combos like that are done by cheese farms everywhere lol.

If nothing else I have that to fall back on at least, though if possible creating a whole new class is an awesome idea.

In my experience the new class is generally cheesier than the cheesy class combo:smalltongue:

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 10:45 AM
In my experience the new class is generally cheesier than the cheesy class combo:smalltongue:

I don't know WHAT your talking about. :redface:

lol, I know this, but it's a SPECIAL kind of cheese I'm looking for, a finely aged kind (regardless that it might be just born, not the point) our DM told us to make characters that are like superheros almost, seeing as their power was handed down buy gods (in my case made by a god) in order to fight the physical embodiments of power tainted by...something we haven't met yet.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 10:50 AM
I don't know WHAT your talking about. :redface:

lol, I know this, but it's a SPECIAL kind of cheese I'm looking for, a finely aged kind (regardless that it might be just born, not the point) our DM told us to make characters that are like superheros almost, seeing as their power was handed down buy gods (in my case made by a god) in order to fight the physical embodiments of power tainted by...something we haven't met yet.
(in a sing-song voice) I think you do:smallbiggrin:
So your looking for cheese that isnt too cheesy but still cheesy enough to have been bestowed by the gods?:smallconfused:You could try Initiate of the sevenfold veil, it has a sort of superhero vibe too it and is generally considered to be fairly strong:smalltongue:

Jheska
2011-12-21, 10:51 AM
Step one: Take an Elan, take whatever class you want but you'll need at least 17 int.

Have someone cast Polymorph any Object on you, you could do this from a scroll or have a wizard do this from a scroll. This costs 3000g for the scroll, more if you have to pay someone.

Have them polymorph you into a beholder. Same Kingdom (Animal) gives 5, Same class (abberation) gives 2, same or lower int gives 2 for a total of 9. This makes the duration permanent.

Step two: Gauge out your central anti-magic eye

Step Three: Take levels in the Beholder Mage prestige class from Lords of Madness. This gives full wizard casting, that you cast spontaneously but learn like a wizard and need no spellbook. Oh, it also does this in 10 levels.

Step Four: Make your first two class levels cleric to gain some useful domain powers, the required saves for later and plenty of skill points. (can be subbed for anything with good fort and will but this is mainly for skill qualifications)

Step Five: With your new class levels of Cleric 2/Beholder Mage 3 go into Ur priest at level 6, this gives full cleric casting in ten levels.

Step six: Take levels in mystic theurge from here on, gain full cleric and wizrd casting faster than the core classes would have gotten it straight classed. For bonus points use magic to appear as whatever you like.

WARNING. This is pretty damm cheesy, pretty extremely cheesy.

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-21, 10:53 AM
Planar Shepherd! Create an ever-increasing bubble of whatever plane you find particularly flavorful for this character, and fluff it as the new world order you will bring about starting to seep into the Prime Material. Learn to shapeshift into powerful outsiders from your home plane. Retain all your excellent casting, with some bonuses (and druid casting is quite good for large area effects).

Interesting planar choices for this character concept could include...

~Dal Quor (Everyone's favorite for a reason - a cool concept, the quori forms are excellent, and the 10:1 time ratio is just crazy-broken.)
~Daanvi (Neat idea - you want to bring about the Perfect Order. Whether this order is a terrible totalitarian regime, or a place where everything lives in perfect harmony, is up to you. Also, turn into a Formian Queen to get 17th level sorcerer casting on top of your druid casting.)
~Fernia (Bring the world to a sea of Fire! Could be redemptive fire that cleanses the world, or it could turn the world into a Hell - and it leans toward the latter, because most of its residents are evil-aligned. Turn into Efreeti for free wishes. Turn into Balors to... well... become a friggin' Balor.)

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 10:55 AM
Step one: Take an Elan, take whatever class you want but you'll need at least 17 int.

Have someone cast Polymorph any Object on you, you could do this from a scroll or have a wizard do this from a scroll. This costs 3000g for the scroll, more if you have to pay someone.

Have them polymorph you into a beholder. Same Kingdom (Animal) gives 5, Same class (abberation) gives 2, same or lower int gives 2 for a total of 9. This makes the duration permanent.

Step two: Gauge out your central anti-magic eye

Step Three: Take levels in the Beholder Mage prestige class from Lords of Madness. This gives full wizard casting, that you cast spontaneously but learn like a wizard and need no spellbook. Oh, it also does this in 10 levels.

Step Four: Make your first two class levels cleric to gain some useful domain powers, the required saves for later and plenty of skill points. (can be subbed for anything with good fort and will but this is mainly for skill qualifications)

Step Five: With your new class levels of Cleric 2/Beholder Mage 3 go into Ur priest at level 6, this gives full cleric casting in ten levels.

Step six: Take levels in mystic theurge from here on, gain full cleric and wizrd casting faster than the core classes would have gotten it straight classed. For bonus points use magic to appear as whatever you like.

WARNING. This is pretty damm cheesy, pretty extremely cheesy.

yeaaaah that is, but the race is already decided and a beholder wouldn't really fit into any backstory we have.

Jheska
2011-12-21, 10:57 AM
Its only a beholder to gain class entry, from that point onwards it's whatever you want. Heck dispel the polymorph to turn back into an elan, reincarnate from there.

The sky's the limit.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:00 AM
Planar Shepherd! Create an ever-increasing bubble of whatever plane you find particularly flavorful for this character, and fluff it as the new world order you will bring about starting to seep into the Prime Material. Learn to shapeshift into powerful outsiders from your home plane. Retain all your excellent casting, with some bonuses (and druid casting is quite good for large area effects).

Interesting planar choices for this character concept could include...

~Dal Quor (Everyone's favorite for a reason - a cool concept, the quori forms are excellent, and the 10:1 time ratio is just crazy-broken.)
~Daanvi (Neat idea - you want to bring about the Perfect Order. Whether this order is a terrible totalitarian regime, or a place where everything lives in perfect harmony, is up to you. Also, turn into a Formian Queen to get 17th level sorcerer casting on top of your druid casting.)
~Fernia (Bring the world to a sea of Fire! Could be redemptive fire that cleanses the world, or it could turn the world into a Hell - and it leans toward the latter, because most of its residents are evil-aligned. Turn into Efreeti for free wishes. Turn into Balors to... well... become a friggin' Balor.)

I actually have played a planar shepherd before, well druid/10 Planar shepherd/7 to be exact (though I'm not as much a fan of the classes, turning into stuff is cool, but I like being me). I was considering it for a while, but honestly (much like me) the character that I'm playing wouldn't really use the wild shaping well...ever. It's just not her style to be something different after finally getting used to being revived as an unholy god beast.

How I'd adjust the class though is something I wouldn't know off the top of my head.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:02 AM
(in a sing-song voice) I think you do:smallbiggrin:
So your looking for cheese that isnt too cheesy but still cheesy enough to have been bestowed by the gods?:smallconfused:You could try Initiate of the sevenfold veil, it has a sort of superhero vibe too it and is generally considered to be fairly strong:smalltongue:

lol, it does come off a little confusing. I guess the best way to put it is that I'm looking for something to fit the theme that I'm going for, regardless of if it's made up or not, while still being extremely powerful.

And I'm not familiar with that class, do you know the book it's from?

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 11:03 AM
A planar shepherd with a 10:1 time flow planar bubble isnt cheesy but double 9's are?:smalltongue:
EDIT: complete arcane

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:03 AM
Its only a beholder to gain class entry, from that point onwards it's whatever you want. Heck dispel the polymorph to turn back into an elan, reincarnate from there.

The sky's the limit.

well, if I wasn't already a near immortal vamp-uberlich, lol really thats the thing she's MEANT to be, a vampire. The DM specifically asked me to make her a broken Vampire with the OP's class description.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:07 AM
A planar shepherd with a 10:1 time flow planar bubble isnt cheesy but double 9's are?:smalltongue:

nothing really out cheeses a planar shepherd though lol, and I really only liked the FEEL of the shepherd, bringing other planes into ours. the plane I had was the plane of elemental water (the character was amphibious and kinda like an Atlantian) the really worst thing I did with it was open the bubble with enemies inside, then turn into a dire shark.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 11:10 AM
nothing really out cheeses a planar shepherd though lol, and I really only liked the FEEL of the shepherd, bringing other planes into ours. the plane I had was the plane of elemental water (the character was amphibious and kinda like an Atlantian) the really worst thing I did with it was open the bubble with enemies inside, then turn into a dire shark.

I ONLY drowned them while transforming into the much larger,angier magically mutated version of a killing machine which honed itself in that exact environment for 340 million years:smalltongue:

Jheska
2011-12-21, 11:11 AM
In which case first things first we should start abusing the undead type, there are plenty of ways to do this.

The one i'd suggest is tainted sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedSorcerer). As undead you are immune to all the negative effects of taint, only gaining the benefits.

The class lets you:

Deal damage to yourself instead of using expensive material components, vampires have fast healing
Take Constitution damage instead of adjustment to spell levels when applying metamagics. Undead are immune to physical ability damage
Use taint instead of your origional casting stat for bonus spells and Save DC's. As undead your taint can get as high as you want with no downside.

As bonus points you gain more and more power the more you slip towards true evil and you dont even have to be a sorcerer. Any 5th level arcane caster with a taint score can get in.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:13 AM
I ONLY drowned them while transforming into the much larger,angier magically mutated version of a killing machine which honed itself in that exact environment for 340 million years:smalltongue:

nothing an intelligent person with access to shape shifting and a limitless amount of water wouldn't do, and come on, who DOESN'T wish sometimes they could turn into a shark? :smallamused:

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 11:15 AM
nothing an intelligent person with access to shape shifting and a limitless amount of water wouldn't do, and come on, who DOESN'T wish sometimes they could turn into a shark? :smallamused:

Nah, go dire tortoise:smallbiggrin:

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:16 AM
In which case first things first we should start abusing the undead type, there are plenty of ways to do this.

The one i'd suggest is tainted sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm#taintedSorcerer). As undead you are immune to all the negative effects of taint, only gaining the benefits.

The class lets you:

Deal damage to yourself instead of using expensive material components, vampires have fast healing
Take Constitution damage instead of adjustment to spell levels when applying metamagics. Undead are immune to physical ability damage
Use taint instead of your origional casting stat for bonus spells and Save DC's. As undead your taint can get as high as you want with no downside.

As bonus points you gain more and more power the more you slip towards true evil and you dont even have to be a sorcerer. Any 5th level arcane caster with a taint score can get in.

hmmm...I like the idea of that for sure, I haven't used taint in a long time though so i'll have to ask the DM if he's using it..if not I can just take out the contagious bit. But I guess I'm still trying to figure out a class thats not just "I do cool stuff with magic" but actually has some unique abilities. like having magic, but having other class given abilities with the theme flare....like calling storms of fire or something.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:17 AM
Nah, go dire tortoise:smallbiggrin:

swim to the top of the bubble, dispel bubble, enemy pancake.:smallcool:

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 11:18 AM
Actually thats a pretty good idea, blood magic on a vampire makes sense.

Edit:
swim to the top of the bubble, dispel bubble, enemy pancake.:smallcool:
Actually pick up some way to breathe fire and we basically got bowser(jump,fire-breathin magic spiky turtle-dragon thing? just what the hell is he?:smallconfused:)

Jheska
2011-12-21, 11:19 AM
Well if you can find a way to pass or handwave that will save all the benefits of tainted sorcerer are in the first level. Go wherever you like from there, what flavour of end of world would you like?

Undead apocalypse?
Dominate Everything, kill everything immune?
Mass scale destruction?
Deity killing?

These are just a few suggestions you could pull of from the top of my head.

Note, non of those are mutualy exclusive but the last requires a ninth level spell.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:34 AM
Well if you can find a way to pass or handwave that will save all the benefits of tainted sorcerer are in the first level. Go wherever you like from there, what flavour of end of world would you like?

Undead apocalypse?
Dominate Everything, kill everything immune?
Mass scale destruction?
Deity killing?

These are just a few suggestions you could pull of from the top of my head.

Note, non of those are mutualy exclusive but the last requires a ninth level spell.

well not quite on the deity killing level yet. the character is going to be the cause of a world war (more like plane-war) and is supposed to either help save or damn the world in the end. I'm thinking Mass Scale destruction with a small flavor of undead or dominate, but their are other magic users in the world, so something unique in and of itself as well.

Naoki00_
2011-12-21, 11:36 AM
Actually thats a pretty good idea, blood magic on a vampire makes sense.

Edit:
Actually pick up some way to breathe fire and we basically got bowser(jump,fire-breathin magic spiky turtle-dragon thing? just what the hell is he?:smallconfused:)

makes me wonder if their is actually a Blood mage class.

....and thank you, I now want to play mario and make a bowser encounter.

Jheska
2011-12-21, 11:54 AM
Well tainted sorcerer arcane casting seems a good start, as it means we start the base as a ludicrously powerful blood mage.

From there there are several routes we can take, I personnaly like the idea of adding rouge-ish abilities to create a traditional vampire. A single level of rouge for the skills, a couple of feats (make sure you take feat rouge to swap that sneak attack for a feat) combined with martial study, martial stance at higher level to gain assassin's stance for 2d6 sneak attack will qualify you for most any rogue/caster hybrid PrC

Equally, you could gish it up with Paladin of Slaughter/Tyrany sorcerer going into tainted and abjurant champion.

Ur priest theurging is pretty unique as it means you grant your own divine power, something not many beings can claim in a campaign setting.

For raw power straight casting is a far better choice, Incantatrix to further abuse metamagic (which tainted sorcerer already makes you very good at) or initiate of the sevenfold veil could be cool.

If you want something very different may I suggest the following build: Binder 1/Wizard 3/Anima mage 1/Tainted Sorcerer 1/Anima mage X. Pick improved binding as your level 1 feat to qualify for anima mage, you get near full wizard casting with 4 levels behind binding (but only 2 behind for the highest level vestiges). Binder lets you each day attach a bunch of vestiges that grant you abilities and influence your personality, anima mage progresses that and casting as well as giving you some free metamagic each day (I suggest persist).

So:
Binder 1 Improved Binding
Wizard 1 Improved Initiative (Martial wizard variant strictly better than scribe scroll)
Wizard 2 Extend Spell (or any other metamagic feat)
Wizard 3
Anima Mage 1
Tainted Sorcerer 1 Persistant spell (or delay this till later, not much use yet anway)

As long as with your skills you get: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks and Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks the rest is free to pick whatever.

Urpriest
2011-12-21, 12:21 PM
A proper world-ender needs stuff that can actually affect more people than just a combat encounter's worth, and undead have oft been associated with cold. I'd go with a Winterhaunt of Iborighu with a Major Iceheart. Every evening the Major Iceheart casts a spell that plunges a 1 mile/level radius into winter for about a month on average. Combine it with other spells that lower the temperature over a wide area and you can be a walking ice age, destroying the means people have to stay alive over fast stretches of land. On a more personal level, Obscuring Snow and Snowsight means people near you can only see if you let them, while Widened Blizzard can bury armies and level whole city districts.

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-21, 12:39 PM
A proper world-ender needs stuff that can actually affect more people than just a combat encounter's worth, and undead have oft been associated with cold. I'd go with a Winterhaunt of Iborighu with a Major Iceheart. Every evening the Major Iceheart casts a spell that plunges a 1 mile/level radius into winter for about a month on average. Combine it with other spells that lower the temperature over a wide area and you can be a walking ice age, destroying the means people have to stay alive over fast stretches of land. On a more personal level, Obscuring Snow and Snowsight means people near you can only see if you let them, while Widened Blizzard can bury armies and level whole city districts.

Obligatory link to a build I did a while back for an Iron Chef competition, Vald Lokkur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122)

Basically, it used Arcane Archer to fire off spells with massive areas like Fimbulwinter, Blizzard and Control Weather as a standard action, using Imbue Arrow. It also had Snowsight and Snow Walk to be immune to a lot of those same effects.

Kaje
2011-12-21, 03:11 PM
Tainted Sorcerers without Con scores can't use Tainted Metamagic.