PDA

View Full Version : We are such stuff, as dreams are made on... [WIP, PEACH]

Eldan
2011-12-21, 11:15 AM
Note: I'll make this into a larger project later, with fluff and material on the fey of my homebrew campaign world, but for now, I just wanted to post a few feats I made, and maybe get some feedback on them. And a few new ideas.

The World Inside

We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter's evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true.

- Woodrow Wilson

Some dream every night, and remember those dreams. Some dream lucidly, living in their dreams, and changing them. Some take the feeble constructs their minds create in the aether as they sleep, and craft them into true worlds that their minds can visit every night, and shape them to their will.

Creating a Dream World
Dream worlds are demiplanes located in a remote region of the ethereal plane called the Dreamscape. This region can only be found by sleeping creatures (who travel to their own dreams and can not leave them), by creatures using the Dream Travel power of a high-level nomad (which allows them to travel to the region of dreams, but not normally into an individual dream) and by the fey of dream (which can freely traverse the Dreamscape and force their way into dreams, if they so desire).
A creature taking a [Dreamworld] feat creates a persistent dream. This dream is a demiplane of up to five miles in diameter, filled with anything the dreamer can imagine. It is important, to know, however, that only the dreamers mind travels there, that nothing can be taken out of a dream, and that what happens in the dream world does not influence the dreamer's body, only his mind. What happens in the dream world does not normally have an influence on the powers of the character, except as noted in the feat in question.

Lucid Dreamer [Psionic]

You have trained yourself to recognize your dreams for what they are, phantasms your own mind creates, and to influence them.
Prerequisites: Autohypnosis 4 ranks
Special: Must be able to sleep normally.
Benefits: You are always aware that you are dreaming, and you may act normally in dreams. You may add either your charisma modifier or your wisdom modifier to your autohypnosis skill (this decision is made when you take this feat and may not be changed later). You are not automatically considered willing for spells that target you while unconscious, and you gain a +2 bonus on all saves against phantasms and all effects that can only target sleeping creatures.

Magical Dreams [Psionic, Dreamworld]

I thought to myself: why store spells on paper? They are just patterns, and if I know anything in this world I'm good at, it is storing patterns in my head.
In your dream world, spells are written across the mountains as runes of fire thirty feet high. They flow in the water, and they are spelled in the clouds. You will never forget them.
Prerequisites: Lucid Dreamer, Autohypnosis 6 ranks, Knowledge Arcana: 6 ranks
Special: You must be a prepared spellcaster that normally prepares his spells from a spellbook, such as a wizard or archivist and must be able to sleep and dream normally.
Benefit: Whenever you write a spell into your spellbook, you also copy that spell into your dreamworld. Even if you lose that spellbook, you still have the spell in your mind, and you can prepare it as if you still had it in your spellbook, as long as you had at least eight hours of restful sleep that night.

Dream Library [Psionic, Dreamworld]
"I never saw the sense in reading the same book more than once. It wastes time, and it reeks of laziness. Not putting in enough effort to memorize a book properly."
You have a library in your head. Rows and rows of not only books, but also maps, street signs, pictures, notes and scrolls. All there. All preserved.
Prerequisites: Lucid Dreamer, Bardic Lore or 6 ranks each in any two knowledge skills, Autohypnosis 6 ranks
Special: Must be able to sleep and dream normally.
Benefit: Whenever you make a knowledge check or bardic lore in a skill you have at least 1 rank in, while awake, you may choose to repeat that same knowledge check the next time you sleep restfully for a full 8 hours, as long as that sleep is not more than 24 hours after the check was originally made. You gain all the information from that check as if you had rolled a 20 on the check. You can only do one such dream research per night.
Alternatively, you may, with perfect clarity, recall any one document of written or drawn information you have seen at any point in your life.

Dream Training [Psionic, Dreamworld]
"What are you waiting for? You are faster than this. Don't think you are. Know you are."
Your dreams are filled with schools and dojos, teachers and weapons. You spend your nights training endlessly across a thousand battlefields, to be the best you can be.
Prerequisites: Lucid Dreamer, Most known and be able to initiate at least three martial manoeuvres, one of which must be of second level or higher, must have at least one level in an initiating class. Autohypnosis 6 ranks, Martial Lore 6 ranks.
Special: Must be able to sleep and dream normally.
Benefit: Whenever you identify (via a martial lore check) a maneuver that you qualify for learning, but do not know yourself, you can spend an entire night's sleep of at least eight hours teaching yourself that maneuver. From then on, you can normally prepare and use that maneuver, as if it was a known maneuver of your initiating class, even if it is of a school you can not normally learn. You can only learn one such dream maneuver at any given time, but you can forget one you learned and learn a new one.

Nightmare Pact

"Is that supposed to scare me? I see worse each night."
You have made a pact with the fey of Nightmare, trading away your restful sleep for power. But be wary, for the fey are ever watchful, and if you should lose your composure, they will take control.
Prerequisites: Either Fey Heritage or Nymph's Kiss or Warlock level 1 or Binder level 1, Iron Will, Knowledge: Arcana 4 ranks
Benefit: Your sleep is always restless. A full night of sleep no longer removes the fatigued condition from you, if you have it when falling asleep. You are immune to all effects that would harm you and only work on sleeping creatures, such as the Nightmare spell. You may not be immune to fear effects and lose all benefits of this feat as long as you are immune to fear, and for 24 hours after that.
The effect of fear effects upon you are altered thusly:
As long as you are not shaken, frightened or panicked, you gain a +2 morale bonus on saves against fear and phantasm effects.
When shaken, you gain a +1 bonus on the caster or manifester level of all your spells and psionic powers, and only suffer half the penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. You gain a +2 morale bonus on intimidate checks and the DC of all saves against fear effects you cause increases by +1. You lose your morale bonus on saves against fear and phantasm effects, but gain a +4 insight bonus on saves against phantasm and figment effects.
When frightened, you start to loose control to the nightmare fey you have made a pact with. You never flee when frightened and gain all the bonuses mentioned under shaken. Your morale bonus on intimidate checks increases to +4, but you automatically fail all saves against further fear effects.
When panicked, your fey nature takes over completely. You do not flee or cower when panicked and become completely immune to all figment and phantasm effects. You gain a +4 bonus on all knowledge: the planes, knowledge: arcana, knowledge: psionics and Knowledge: nature checks and are considered trained in all those skills. However, until the panic ends, you do not consider any creature your ally, and can not benefit from any effects caused by your allies. You can not benefit from any morale bonuses. If you have the ability to cause fear in any way in an enemy, you must do so. If you can not, you must try to intimidate an enemy at least once per encounter. You become cold and hostile to anyone, and consider all others beneath you, merely prey or temporarily useful vermin.

Note: This feat only takes effect when you suffer from fear effects you haven't willingly submitted to. It does not work when you are under a fear effect caused by an ally or or yourself.

Recreational Dreamworld [Psionic, Dreamworld]

"I swear, if I see him grin that stupidly one more time after he wakes up, I'll break his jaw."
Your dreams are filled with pleasant images and sensations, that relax you and fortify your mind.
Prerequisites: Autohypnosis 6 ranks, Lucid Dreamer
Benefit: As long as your last eight hours of restful sleep are less than twenty-four hours ago, you gain a +2 morale bonus on all saves to resist effects that cause despair (such as a Crushing Despair spell), suicidal tendencies (such as a Death Urge power) and all fear effects. You gain a +2 insight bonus on all checks to resist involuntary seduction and on all charisma-dependent checks to seduce someone you do yourself. Finally, eight hours of restful sleep automatically restores you to full hit points.

Eldan
2011-12-21, 11:16 AM
I'll just grab this one too.

Amechra
2011-12-21, 04:04 PM
I like Dream Training; it looks like it would be hellishly useful if there are dojos in the campaign, as you could slip into a dojo, watch a demonstration of a maneuver, and voila!

Other than that, a neat [Dreamworld] feat would be one that allowed you to sleepwalk, which could lead to other feats that make you more powerful when you are asleep...

And an epic level feat would be Overlay Dreamscape, which would allow you to open a Planar Breach to your Dreamworld, as long as you had 8 restful hours of sleep the night before.

Eldan
2011-12-22, 07:17 AM
Sleepwalking is an interesting idea. You are always half-asleep and can use your dream powers. I'll have to think how that would work.

Eldan
2011-12-22, 07:46 AM
Also added a new feat, Nightmare Pact. Probably the wordiest feat I ever made.