PDA

View Full Version : stronger base class?

leegi0n
2011-12-21, 02:02 PM
I'm wanting to go the full 10 levels of bone knight PrC.

Would it jive better with 10 levels of Cleric or 10 levels of Crusader?

Urpriest
2011-12-21, 02:43 PM
It advances casting. I'd put at least some Cleric in there.

leegi0n
2011-12-21, 02:53 PM
yeah....that's what I was thinking.

I'm gonna go half n half to 20 on 'em.

Thanks ~

Kaje
2011-12-21, 03:17 PM
Make sure to do crusader after cleric.

hushblade
2011-12-21, 05:11 PM
Get some RKV in there if you can for the best of both worlds xP

gorfnab
2011-12-21, 05:37 PM
Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Bone Knight 10/ Crusader 3

RaggedAngel
2011-12-21, 05:40 PM
Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Bone Knight 10/ Crusader 3

This will take you much further than Cleric; I don't have Bone Knight in front of me, but it may even give you 9th's, which would be beautiful. The only problem is that you have to be Evil.

hushblade
2011-12-21, 05:53 PM
urpriest is mechanically better, but I personally find it cheesy to dip into it then advance it for better class features.

If you want 9's in cleric casting and fair ability in martial maneuvers, may I suggest Cleric 4/Crusader 1 for entry, then 10 levels of bone knight and to top it off, 5 of Ruby Knight Vindicator. You lose 3 caster levels, making you just hit ninth levels spells. You'll also have an initiator level of 12 for some fairly good martial ability.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-21, 06:08 PM
This will take you much further than Cleric; I don't have Bone Knight in front of me, but it may even give you 9th's, which would be beautiful. The only problem is that you have to be Evil.

'cept...

Ur-Priests can change alignment without losing their abilities, under certain interpretations.

Since C. Div. does not (IIRC) have the clause about losing PrC benefits if you don't meet the prereqs anymore in it...

...It's arguable, at least.

Greenish
2011-12-21, 06:18 PM
This will take you much further than Cleric; I don't have Bone Knight in front of me, but it may even give you 9th's, which would be beautiful.Yep. Bone Knight is 9/10 casting (loses the first level).

hushblade
2011-12-21, 07:08 PM
As an aside about the class, does the bone march ability count as its own controlled undead pool? if not, by RAW, taking a level in bone knight could actually lower your controlled undead as a cleric.

dgnslyr
2011-12-21, 07:15 PM
I wonder if you can squeeze some Ruby Knight Vindicator into that build. That way, you'd be advancing both cleric AND crusader from levels 6-10.

You could do a cleric 4/crusader 1 entry, so you'd still manage 9th level spells by level 20, or you can mix in more crusader levels, if you'd rather have better maneuvers. Still, the maneuver progression can only be so strong, so I'd say going for the spells seems like a fine idea. Besides, RKV is made of all kinds of awesome.

hushblade
2011-12-21, 07:57 PM
I wonder if you can squeeze some Ruby Knight Vindicator into that build. That way, you'd be advancing both cleric AND crusader from levels 6-10.

You could do a cleric 4/crusader 1 entry, so you'd still manage 9th level spells by level 20, or you can mix in more crusader levels, if you'd rather have better maneuvers. Still, the maneuver progression can only be so strong, so I'd say going for the spells seems like a fine idea. Besides, RKV is made of all kinds of awesome.

I refer you to my previous post

If you want 9's in cleric casting and fair ability in martial maneuvers, may I suggest Cleric 4/Crusader 1 for entry, then 10 levels of bone knight and to top it off, 5 of Ruby Knight Vindicator. You lose 3 caster levels, making you just hit ninth levels spells. You'll also have an initiator level of 12 for some fairly good martial ability.

It also gets 16 BAB for that fourth attack, and no feats as pre-reqs so you can spend them on your standard cleric-zilla feats for a beautiful melee beast.

dgnslyr
2011-12-21, 10:28 PM
Well, apparently I'm both blind and lazy, my apologies. :smallredface: