PDA

View Full Version : The Shifter

Little Brother
2011-12-21, 02:19 PM
EDIT: Got approval for the Shifter for a high-powered campaign. How early can I enter? What should the build look like? What gear? Is there any way to gain effective HD for Wildshape?

Is there a way to qualify by level 2~ without using Divine Minion? Just how dumb can we make this character(For a campaign, not for TO)? Note: I want to be competing with Batman/DMM CODzilla/etc.

Earliest way I can figure is Lesser Worghest Cleric 3(Or Cleric 1/Ranger 2)/Shifter X, taking Heighten, using a flaw for DMM(Heighten)(And Endurance if not going Ranger), and then taking Alertness at level 3.

Anyone got a better one?

Urpriest
2011-12-21, 02:29 PM
It doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced by Master of Many Forms.

Little Brother
2011-12-21, 02:32 PM
It doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced by Master of Many Forms.Pretty sure that's wrong. The Master of Many Forms says it was intended to be a replacement, not that is is a replacement. If we cared about intent here, over half of the threads here would be non-existent.

So, unless it specifically says it replaces it, it did not make a second source with the same name to replace it, and so it is still around.

gkathellar
2011-12-21, 02:38 PM
It is indeed replaced by the MoMF. Source is right here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x)

Little Brother
2011-12-21, 02:41 PM
It is indeed replaced by the MoMF. Source is right here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x)Okay, that's lame. Thanks.

JadePhoenix
2011-12-21, 04:20 PM
If we cared about intent here, over half of the threads here would be non-existent.

I'm pretty sure more people care about intent than you think.

Saviour
2011-12-21, 04:43 PM
Even if the MoMF officially updates the Shifter class, I imagine plenty of games would still allow the Shifter. Especially since we could well be talking about a Druid who has to give up casting progression.

Little Brother
2011-12-22, 04:57 AM
Got Shifter approved, anyways. OP question updated.

Coidzor
2011-12-22, 01:14 PM
Pretty sure the only thing for increasing HD of what one can turn into is that one occasionally mentioned amulet which gives about 4 HD for wildshaping purposes.

Little Brother
2011-12-22, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure the only thing for increasing HD of what one can turn into is that one occasionally mentioned amulet which gives about 4 HD for wildshaping purposes.What/where is this amulet? I have never heard of this.

Coidzor
2011-12-22, 01:50 PM
Magic of Faerun, about 40K. Don't have a page reference though, sorry.

Found the imarvintpa by just googling "wildshape amulet" (sans quotes though)

Seems to be named the Wild Shape Amulet.

Seems there's also a skin of some sort from Dragon 324 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10132.20)that does similar things but for less cost and with some drawbacks.

Little Brother
2011-12-22, 02:03 PM
Magic of Faerun, about 40K. Don't have a page reference though, sorry.

Found the imarvintpa by just googling "wildshape amulet" (sans quotes though)

Seems to be named the Wild Shape Amulet.

Seems there's also a skin of some sort from Dragon 324 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10132.20)that does similar things but for less cost and with some drawbacks.Yup, found 'em. For 52K, I can now Wildshape as if I was 8 levels higher. That is NICE.

Saviour
2011-12-22, 05:23 PM
This is all balanced, of course, by the fluff penalty of smelling like a bear carcass. :smallbiggrin:

Little Brother
2011-12-22, 05:59 PM
This is all balanced, of course, by the fluff penalty of smelling like a bear carcass. :smallbiggrin:Yup, totes balanced, right? :smalltongue: I mean, it's not like you can't take it off and stow it when you need to be social, right?

Know any way to get a free 3rd level spell AND the two prereq feats by 1st level, without going human/Illumian/etc? I think Lesser Worghest is the way to go for Wildshape early, especially if I get a good answer at the Q/A thread.

Little Brother
2011-12-23, 12:18 PM
I asked this in the Q/A thread with no response, but it's relevant and quite important, so I'm asking it here, too:

How does Fast Wildshape, or other Wild feats that involve the phrase "You can Wildshape," or someting to that effect, interact with a Worghest's(Dr350) Change Shape ability? Does it grant wildshape?

Does the Worghest's Change Shape ability even actually make it a wolf, or does it just give it the mentioned traits? Or is it like Shifting? Could I go into Wolf form thingy after turning into a bear/Dragon/beholder/etc.

Also, I'd like input on the build I wanna go with: Some caster 3(I'd really rather 1, but can't figure how to get it)/Shifter 10/Warshaper 5/Caster +2

Got any better ideas? That seems kinda "eh," for using a class like this.

Heliomance
2011-12-23, 05:10 PM
There's also an item set in... Complete Champion, IIRC, that improves your wildshaping.

Little Brother
2011-12-23, 05:42 PM
There's also an item set in... Complete Champion, IIRC, that improves your wildshaping.54,275GP for +1 level. Not bad.

Thanks for pointing that out. For a little over 100K, we can now WS into whatever we want with us+9 HD. Awesome.