PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Favourite wizard schools?

Laniius
2011-12-21, 02:49 PM
What are your favourite pathfinder wizard schools? I'm not talking about the spells here so much, as you can still cast opposition spells in Pathfinder (if you really have to) but abilities. Including the alternative schools from the Advanced Player's guide. My favourite right now is the Creation subschool. The one that lets you get minor creation and major creation as spell like abilities, and the one that lets you reach into your pocket and pull out whatever you want.

Menteith
2011-12-21, 03:20 PM
Divination (Foresight) is what I'd take for a general build. You can always act in the surprise round, get +1/2 Wiz level as an untyped bonus on Initiative, lets you (effectively) roll 2 D20 and take the better result on any type of roll that you know you're going to be making, and lets you activate an aura that either buffs you or can be used to sap enemy Saves/CL checks for better Save or Dies. I do love this school so much.

Conjuration (Teleportation) gives you Dimension Door 5 ft/2 levels (min 5 ft) as a swift action that doesn't provoke AoO, usable 3+Int mod/day, which is wonderful at lower level games when you're not using your Swift for anything else, but once you're high enough that Quicken is useful, the school is meh.

Abjuration (Counterspell) gives you Improved Counterspell as an Immediate Action multiple times per day, which makes a rather niche ability really strong. I've always wanted to try this out, but it's really bad for a general adventure (even if it would be awesome in PvP).

Scarlet-Devil
2011-12-21, 03:58 PM
Transmutation (Physical Enhancement), because I know that if I were a wizard, that's exactly the kind of thing I would use my magic for. :smallbiggrin:

Both of the Conjuration ones are pretty cool too, and probably what I would take if I were to play a Pathfinder wizard, on a more practical note.

Blisstake
2011-12-21, 04:41 PM
Abjuration (Counterspell) is really nice when you take the APG feat that lets you reflect the spells you counter. Disrupting Touch is incredibly situational, though.

Corlindale
2011-12-21, 06:51 PM
I am in love with Divination (Foresight), especially because of the prescience power. I don't think the tactical advantage of a "pre-roll" at the start of your turn can be overstated. It's even better than a re-roll because it allows you to know in advance whether a certain action will succeed, so you will know when you can safely attempt something that would normally be unlikely to succeed.

Conjuration (Teleportation) is probably a close second. A swift action dimension door effect is going to be useful throughout the game, and will get you out of many tough spots. Though one should note that it suffers from the same drawbacks as DD, unfortunately.