PDA

View Full Version : Feycraft Thinbalde

glosz
2011-12-21, 08:34 PM
I am going to play an Elven Warrior and am thinking about taking an Elven Thinblade and Weapon Finesse.

If I make the Thinblade a Feycraft Weapon does that mean I can not bother with Weapon Finesse? Also, would two-handed Power Attack still be a viable option?

The description in the DMG2 isn't that clear and was wondering what your thoughts were.

Thanks.

Kantolin
2011-12-21, 09:08 PM
I believe by RAW, you cannot - it does not become 'light', so you'd get no benificial effect out of a feycraft elven Thinblade and would reduce teh damage.

RAI, however, it is described as a light weapon and already can be treated as light for weapon finesse, so you logically would be able to auto-finesse it if feycraft.

If it is allowed to auto-finesse if feycraft, this by RAW does nothing about its actual size category (it in fact specifies 'for the purpose of weapon finesse only'), so you'd still be able to two-handed power attack. This is then up in the air on the RAI, but there's already a two-handed finesse power-attackable weapon, so I'd say go ahead.

sonofzeal
2011-12-21, 09:44 PM
I believe by RAW, you cannot - it does not become 'light', so you'd get no benificial effect out of a feycraft elven Thinblade and would reduce teh damage.

RAI, however, it is described as a light weapon and already can be treated as light for weapon finesse, so you logically would be able to auto-finesse it if feycraft.

If it is allowed to auto-finesse if feycraft, this by RAW does nothing about its actual size category (it in fact specifies 'for the purpose of weapon finesse only'), so you'd still be able to two-handed power attack. This is then up in the air on the RAI, but there's already a two-handed finesse power-attackable weapon, so I'd say go ahead.
I thought Thinblade was the longsword-analogue and Courtblade was the twohanded one?

Kantolin
2011-12-21, 10:19 PM
It is.

What I meant was, game balance-wise, it's not overpowered to allow a feycrafted thinblade to give weapon finesse automatically, and then to allow for two-handed power attacking, as there are already two-handed-finessable-power-attacking weapons.

gbprime
2011-12-21, 10:39 PM
I thought Thinblade was the longsword-analogue and Courtblade was the twohanded one?

That's correct. But you can wield a longsword (and a thinblade) two handed if you want to.

And this combo allows for 2 handed finesse power attacks, yes. It's a slick combo that most DM's don't think is overpowered.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-21, 10:42 PM
Good concept, I might have to use this in a game sometime.

Greenish
2011-12-22, 07:19 AM
Most one-handed finessable weapons have a clause specifically forbidding them from being used two-handed. I don't remember if that's true for the thinblade, though.

u-b
2011-12-22, 07:31 AM
By the rules it is piercing "rapierlike weapon" with a "flexible" blade, like this:
http://kartijan.homeip.net/Dranem/images/Thinblade.gif
I doubt you coud use two-handed power attack with something like this, unless some real houseruling is involved.

upd: "basically the blade is to a rapier what a bastard sword is to a longsword" (c) Grommilus

Elric VIII
2011-12-22, 07:34 AM
Most one-handed finessable weapons have a clause specifically forbidding them from being used two-handed. I don't remember if that's true for the thinblade, though.

Just checked, there is no such language appearing in the descriptions of any of the elven blades (Light-, Thin-, and Courtblades). Their wording is similar to that of the spiked chain. Although, they do say they are treated as rapiers WRT certain feats.

Greenish
2011-12-22, 07:47 AM
By the rules it is piercing "rapierlike weapon" with a "flexible" blade,

I doubt you coud use two-handed power attack with something like this, unless some real houseruling is involved.By the rules, you can use a one-handed weapon two-handed, unless the weapon in question says otherwise. Thinblade doesn't (cheers Elric), so not allowing not allowing it would be a houserule.

Don't confuse flavour with rules.

u-b
2011-12-22, 08:00 AM
"You can't wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1½ times your Strength bonus to damage." - so you mean "rapierlike weapon" in thinblade description should be read strictly as flavour and not as "like rapier, with following differences"?

Greenish
2011-12-22, 08:03 AM
"You can't wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1½ times your Strength bonus to damage." - so you mean "rapierlike weapon" in thinblade description should be read strictly as flavour and not as "like rapier, with following differences"?Yes. wordswords

umbergod
2011-12-22, 08:04 AM
"You can't wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1½ times your Strength bonus to damage." - so you mean "rapierlike weapon" in thinblade description should be read strictly as flavour and not as "like rapier, with following differences"?

only counts as a rapier for the benefits of certain feats iirc. while its basically just a reflavored rapier, RAW would say you can 2hand it for a bigger bonus

Elric VIII
2011-12-22, 08:15 AM
only counts as a rapier for the benefits of certain feats iirc. while its basically just a reflavored rapier, RAW would say you can 2hand it for a bigger bonus

This is correct, and even the picture of the blade looks more like a katana than a rapier.

Jarveiyan
2011-12-23, 02:01 AM
I thought the lightblade, thinblade, and courtblade could already be finessed. Races of the Wild.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-23, 02:29 AM
I thought the lightblade, thinblade, and courtblade could already be finessed. Races of the Wild.

They can, but they don't also automatically give you the benefits of the weapon finesse feat even if you don't have it if you happen to be proficient in them...