PDA

View Full Version : High Sneak attack and high dragonfire inspiration, is it possible?

pffh
2011-12-21, 10:18 PM
I was planning out a dragonfire inspiration bard when it struck me that a large amount of precision damage as well would fit with this characters story/personality quite well. Unfortunately my op-fu is not good enough so I come to the playground for help.

Is it possible to get high precision damage (sneak attack preferable but not necessary) and a high inspire courage modifier in one build that does not use words of creation (This character is evil)?

gorfnab
2011-12-22, 12:10 AM
Bard 5/ Spellthief 1/ Unseen Seer 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8
Unseen Seer's 2nd level ability is Advanced Learning. Choose the spell Hunter's Eye (PHBII) for some nice sneak attack damage. For feats add in Craven (CoR - for more sneak attack damage), Song of the Heart (ECS - for more Inspire Courage), and Master Spellthief (CS - for interesting CLs).

Other than that just use some of the Inspire Courage tricks from this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0).

tyckspoon
2011-12-22, 02:03 AM
Bard 5/ Spellthief 1/ Unseen Seer 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8
Unseen Seer's 2nd level ability is Advanced Learning. Choose the spell Hunter's Eye (PHBII) for some nice sneak attack damage. For feats add in Craven (CoR - for more sneak attack damage), Song of the Heart (ECS - for more Inspire Courage), and Master Spellthief (CS - for interesting CLs).

You get a higher composite total if you go back to Unseen Seer instead of filling out with Virtuoso and use it to advance Sublime Chord, I'm pretty sure; Unseen Seer's Sneak Attack(/other precision damage attack) progression is appreciably faster than Inspire Courage advancement. (And yeah, Sublime Chord+Master Spellthief does amusing things to your CL.) If you combine a Vest of Legends and the Chaos Music feat (Dragon Magazine, if allowed) you can drop up to 9 music-advancement levels and still have the effective Inspire Courage value of a full level 20 Bard, if you want.. it's just 1d6, if you make enough extra Sneak Attack it's not a great loss to settle for 'only' the Inspire value of a level 14 Bard instead. Which is pretty trivially easy to do if you can use Chaos Music, and merely very easy with the Vest of Legends.

Edit: @ thread poster- define 'high' values. Something like the builds outlined above will get you double-digit Sneak Attack and 7-8 Inspire Courage. I don't think you can break 2 digits on Inspire without Words of Creation.

Talionis
2011-12-22, 10:04 AM
Don't forget Feat Martial Stance -- Assassin Stance from Tome of Battle. You don't even need to take a martial class to use the stance to full benefit.