PDA

View Full Version : How to take Vow of Poverty as a DM

7RED7
2011-12-21, 10:41 PM
I like to keep gaming as non resource-intensive as possible (book or two, a few dice, and SRD's aplenty) so I'm always looking for good ways to improve the gaming experience with little to no additional cost (Landraiders and Rhinos are supposed to be made out of floral foam right?).

I've tried various little open source tools over the years, but never really ended up using anything that clicked well enough to use reliably.

So I ask, what are your favorite resources that you've found over the years to improve gaming, or make it easier in some way?

The big thing I'd like to find is a good way to get everyone playing dungeons and other maps together online (my current group resides in 3 different cities), with reasonable options for customizability, so that we could play by Skype and still all be on the same page.

What are the best free things you've found that you believe significantly enhanced the roleplaying experience for you or your group?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-12-21, 11:29 PM
For 4e, Masterplan (http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/) is the best DMing software aid I've found. It was much better before WotC lowered the boom on the creator but it still has helped me organize my games much better.

It has a mapping function, but I've never used it successfully. I mostly play face-to-face.

7RED7
2011-12-22, 12:01 AM
That looks pretty good. We don't play much 4e (mostly 3.5, path, d20 modern/future/etc). I see how that could be very useful though.

Maybe we could build like a big list of all the good stuff and organize it so people can find things. :)

I never noticed until now, but I found a module called RPG tactics for Vassal. Does anyone have any experience with that or better modules?

DrBurr
2011-12-22, 12:15 AM
For 4e, Masterplan (http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/) is the best DMing software aid I've found. It was much better before WotC lowered the boom on the creator but it still has helped me organize my games much better.

It has a mapping function, but I've never used it successfully. I mostly play face-to-face.

Agreed, Master plan simplifies so many things for me Now only carry ones set of dice for some unprepared checks.

I never got into the mapping function either, I play with tiles so I never saw the need for it.

I also have to old character builder for 4e from almost a year and half ago, this one is more so my players can level up their characters without asking me every 2 minutes what they can get this level, also simplifies the math for them onto power cards, speeding up our games