PDA

View Full Version : (PF) PFS Urban Ranger Help...

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-21, 11:09 PM
I got a friend who is playing a Pathfinder Society character, which is a good idea, but is NOT optimized. He wants some help trying to beef up his Urban Ranger, and I can't figure out a good way to do it, beyond basic advice... Heres the character, see if you can help him out, character CANNOT be re-made, due to already being in play.

Half Elf Urban Ranger 1

STR 10
DEX 18
CON 12
INT 14
WIS 13
CHA 10

AC: 18 (+4 DEX, Chainshirt) HP: 12
Attack Bonus: +5 Damage: 1d8+0

Half Elf Ancestral Arms: EWP: Aldori Dueling Sword

1 Finesse

what he has planned for the future:
Ranger 2 Power Attack
Ranger 6 Cleave
Ranger 10 furious Focus

As for his other feats, (3,5,7,9,11) he wants to spend on either:
A.) Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Toughness, Iron Will, Favored Defense or Combat Reflexes
-OR-
B.) Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, rapid Shot, Favored Defense, Manyshot

Obviously, he is trying to make a high DEX, low STR power attack build, so archery feats seem to go well with the high DEX bit. until level 2, he has NO bonus damage on his Aldori Dueling Sword, which presents a problem. Even after level 2, when he gets Power attack for free, his damage will be a mere 1d8+3. I told him to grab a wand of Leaden Blades ASAP, and a wand of Instant Favored Enemy after that, again ASAP. He is currently trying to save up to get a +1 Agile Aldori Dueling Sword... which would add some decent damage, but soonest he could get that (according to WBL tables) is level 5.

The character background is nice, the character is well played and interesting... but the combat advantage that Ranger provides is lost on this build as far as I can tell.

Anything that can be done to help this Urban Ranger out? thanks!

Crossblade
2011-12-21, 11:55 PM
There's no point in taking ranged feats if he's already started the melee path. I assume "finesse" means weapon finesse?

For recommended feats, I'd go with anything the fighter archetype Aldori Swordlord suggests.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/aldori-swordlord-brevoy

Aldori Dueling Mastery, Combat Expertise, Dazzling Display, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Aldori dueling sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Lunge, Quick Draw, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Aldori dueling sword), Weapon Specialization (Aldori dueling sword).

The Aldori Sword has some interesting feats tied to it, especially the Mastery, which gives the wielder extra AC.