PDA

View Full Version : Warning expiration

Silma
2011-12-22, 12:24 AM
Hello playgrounders. I wanted to ask something. See, I just got a warning for thread necromancy. It was my fault, I'm not trying to get away with it. I just keep all the threads that interest me in bookmarks, so I sometimes don't notice when the last post was made.
But anyway, in the rules it says that warnings are not permanent. Does this mean that this record Infractions: 1/0 (0) that appears under my avatar will go away too after a while? Or is it permanent?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-12-22, 12:27 AM
I'm no mod, but I think they're permanent -- the notice, anyhow. The actual citations "expire" in time.

If it helps, nobody can see that but you (and probably mods?).

Silma
2011-12-22, 12:31 AM
nobody can see that but you

Oh, thank god. I was afraid that it might create a negative image. I know it sounds stupid, but I can be like that sometimes. :smalltongue:

Oracle_Hunter
2011-12-22, 12:32 AM
Oh, thank god. I was afraid that it might create a negative image. I know it sounds stupid, but I can be like that sometimes. :smalltongue:
Ironically, everyone now knows you've done something naughty due to posting it here :smalltongue:

Silma
2011-12-22, 12:38 AM
Yeah! :smalltongue:
Meh, I don't really care about that. The report annoys me a little bit because it is right under my avatar. I shall hide it from the world!!! >>not likely<<

Mando Knight
2011-12-22, 12:50 AM

Here's a secret: most of the "cool kids" on the playground have run afoul of the rules at least once. It's not a damning experience, the warning is just a relatively-friendly reminder to stay within the rules... which is part of the reason why it's only visible to you and the mods.

Serpentine
2011-12-22, 01:09 AM
I have so many, I can't see my oldest ones anymore :/
(srsly mods, is there any way to see a full list of my warnings and infractions?)

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-22, 01:29 AM
(srsly mods, is there any way to see a full list of my warnings and infractions?)

What? :smalleek: Even the glorious Serpentine has tons of warnings and infractions? Impossible! :smalltongue:

Actually, I have a relevant question as well for the mods. Are different infractions of the same type sometimes given different expiration lengths? Because I have two of one kind, one of which claims to expire approximately 1 year after the occurrence and the other of which claims to expire approximately 2 years after the occurrence. Also, once they expire, do their numbers in parentheses go away?

Marnath
2011-12-22, 01:31 AM
What? :smalleek: Even the glorious Serpentine has tons of warnings and infractions? Impossible! :smalltongue:

Actually, I have a relevant question as well for the mods. Are different infractions of the same type sometimes given different expiration lengths? Because I have two of one kind, one of which claims to expire approximately 1 year after the occurrence and the other of which claims to expire approximately 2 years after the occurrence. Also, once they expire, do their numbers in parentheses go away?

I believe they reduced the duration earlier this year, but they can't alter them retroactively.

Fiery Diamond
2011-12-22, 01:32 AM
I believe they reduced the duration earlier this year, but they can't alter them retroactively.

Ah. That would make sense.

Rawhide
2011-12-22, 01:39 AM
Expired infractions will remain on a list that the mods can see, but will say "Expired". That number under your name will go away. Only you and the mods can see that number.

Infractions issued before the reduction in duration will still have the longer duration. However, we will take the reduced duration into consideration even for infractions issued before the reduction.

Serpentine
2011-12-22, 01:43 AM
What? :smalleek: Even the glorious Serpentine has tons of warnings and infractions? Impossible! :smalltongue:Hoo boy yes, do I ever. We're talkin' knife-edge levels here!

Rawhide: What about seeing older ones? How'm I meant to learn my lesson if I can't remember them! D:

Zeb The Troll
2011-12-22, 02:14 AM
Rawhide: What about seeing older ones?For posters with more than 5 infractions/warnings, the infractions will be listed in pages accessible underneath the "Infractions" box, even after they expire.

Mordokai
2011-12-22, 02:26 AM

Can I be your friend? C'mon, it will be totally cool! We'll like... hang out and do stuff. You know... stuff!

Pwetty pwease? With a sad kitty look on top of it?

happyturtle
2011-12-22, 02:54 AM
Hello playgrounders. I wanted to ask something. See, I just got a warning for thread necromancy. It was my fault, I'm not trying to get away with it. I just keep all the threads that interest me in bookmarks, so I sometimes don't notice when the last post was made.
But anyway, in the rules it says that warnings are not permanent. Does this mean that this record Infractions: 1/0 (0) that appears under my avatar will go away too after a while? Or is it permanent?

If you click on your User CP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/usercp.php), you can see your infractions, and the expiration date is listed there.

Serpentine
2011-12-22, 03:10 AM
For posters with more than 5 infractions/warnings, the infractions will be listed in pages accessible underneath the "Infractions" box, even after they expire.People have told me that before, but there's no option to see any more pages, unless I'm just missing something obvious or something.
Thusly:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Untitled.png

Zeb The Troll
2011-12-22, 03:44 AM
Do you see the same thing if you view them from your profile instead?

Serpentine
2011-12-22, 03:49 AM
Aha! There we go. Didn't even know it comes up, there.
I'd forgotten about those ones...

Occasional Sage
2011-12-22, 07:53 PM
Hoo boy yes, do I ever. We're talkin' knife-edge levels here!

The potentials inherent in this make me... sad.

Mando Knight
2011-12-22, 08:47 PM
The potentials inherent in this make me... sad.

A Playground with no Serpentine?
...That's a weird thought.

Renegade Paladin
2011-12-22, 09:59 PM
Hoo boy yes, do I ever. We're talkin' knife-edge levels here!
Heh. I don't think I'm surprising anyone when I say I've got three pages of them stretching back to 2007. :smalltongue: One reads instant ban, but that was a mistake. Rawhide about gave me a heart attack there. :smallamused:

Rawhide
2011-12-23, 02:14 AM
One reads instant ban, but that was a mistake. Rawhide about gave me a heart attack there. :smallamused:

Hey! I can still reverse the reversal! :smalltongue:

I accidentally infracted the spam reporter, not the spambot, oops. Instant reversal.

Brother Oni
2011-12-23, 03:10 AM
A Playground with no Serpentine?
...That's a weird thought.

Yup. No pretty snake lady in Playground makes me sad too. :smallfrown:

Mystic Muse
2011-12-23, 03:24 AM
The method I use to avoid these and infractions is, if you have any doubts about whether or not it breaks the rules at all, don't post it. It'll save your hide.

This method has done a great deal of good for me. Using it, I've gotten a grand total of 1 infraction, and that's because I ignored it that time.

Yes, 1, and it expired 6 months ago.

The Succubus
2011-12-23, 05:23 AM
Mmmm. My User CP page was looking pretty dull, so I thought to myself - "how can I make it more colourful?"

Then it hit me - I can just let my rather big mouth go on autopilot and behold! My User CP page has lots of pretty yellow and red squares on it now. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-12-23, 07:35 AM

I had this conundrum too until some time ago, when I discovered that you can view them all by looking at your user profile. I have three pages of infractions/warnings, not counting the ones on my old profile (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4847), and I'm pretty sure I hold the record for having the highest amount of infraction points at one point without getting banned.

So yeah, it's pretty much impossible to be a seasoned member and not get an infraction/warning or half a dozen. In fact, you should consider yourself lucky if you're a seasoned member and you're not banned yet, due to the way infractions worked until recently.

pendell
2011-12-23, 08:17 AM
I had this conundrum too until some time ago, when I discovered that you can view them all by looking at your user profile. I have three pages of infractions/warnings, not counting the ones on my old profile (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4847), and I'm pretty sure I hold the record for having the highest amount of infraction points at one point without getting banned.

So yeah, it's pretty much impossible to be a seasoned member and not get an infraction/warning or half a dozen. In fact, you should consider yourself lucky if you're a seasoned member and you're not banned yet, due to the way infractions worked until recently.

While I have a collection of warnings and infractions of my own, I don't think it works that way.

I forget the exact amount of infraction points that you need to get banned, but I don't think it's an automatic "you've earned X points and you are now banned" sort of thing. Rather, it means your account becomes eligible for banning. The mods then gather together and consider the nature of the infractions, your posting history, the likelihood of improvement, and so forth.

ISTR that some posters have earned *double* the banning infraction points before actually being banned. It's possible there are some active posters now who are over the threshold but are not banned because the mods see some hope for them. Or possibly there are extenuating circumstances, such as a poster getting three different infractions for three different posts in the same thread in the space of two days -- things got hot, and a long-time poster who has been here for years without complaint suddenly lost it for whatever reason. It happens.

I also know that when I got my infraction there was a warning of other account restrictions besides banning. Being restricted to a certain number of posts a day, maybe, or restricted to a particular folder.

Of course, none of us know which other posters are under such restrictions or On Notice. And that's probably a good idea. Not only is it better for the poster not to be singled out, it also means we aren't constantly re-arguing the decisions publicly. If the staff here don't like "moral justification" threads for imaginary characters, I can just imagine how they would feel about threads asking "were the mods justified in taking action X against poster Y" :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Tengu_temp
2011-12-23, 08:54 AM
We're talking about the same thing, pendell.

ISTR that some posters have earned *double* the banning infraction points before actually being banned.

Yup, that'd be me. Well, except for the being banned part.

Killer Angel
2011-12-23, 09:45 AM
I forget the exact amount of infraction points that you need to get banned, but I don't think it's an automatic "you've earned X points and you are now banned" sort of thing. Rather, it means your account becomes eligible for banning. The mods then gather together and consider the nature of the infractions, your posting history, the likelihood of improvement, and so forth.

Indeed.
When you hit 300 points, you're placed on Probation. Any subsequent Infractions while you are on Probation will trigger a review for potential permanent banning.

Zherog
2011-12-23, 09:51 AM
Heh. I don't think I'm surprising anyone when I say I've got three pages of them stretching back to 2007. :smalltongue: One reads instant ban, but that was a mistake. Rawhide about gave me a heart attack there. :smallamused:

Yep - the only infraction/warning that blemishes my page is one Roland gave me by accident and then reversed -- same thing as Rawhide: infracted the reporter by accident.

I've been posting on message boards since 2003 or so and have never received a warning anywhere.

The Succubus
2011-12-23, 10:09 AM
Yep - the only infraction/warning that blemishes my page is one Roland gave me by accident and then reversed -- same thing as Rawhide: infracted the reporter by accident.

I've been posting on message boards since 2003 or so and have never received a warning anywhere.

In that case you don't get to play with the cool kids in here. Shoo!

j/k =p

Hazzardevil
2011-12-23, 11:48 AM
I think I am on the mods list of people who will likely be banned some day, but haven't done anything too serious yet.

I have had 2 profile infractions after my signature went over length, I got the warning on holiday and then got 100 anti profile points before I could do anything about it. I then got another 100 a few weeks later after my signature slowly crept over the limit from me adding more and more quotes.

Mmmm. My User CP page was looking pretty dull, so I thought to myself - "how can I make it more colourful?"

Then it hit me - I can just let my rather big mouth go on autopilot and behold! My User CP page has lots of pretty yellow and red squares on it now. :smallbiggrin:

I like my pretty colours too.

I have 2 reds from the signature warnings and a minor spam, mea culpa over something I have forgotten and minor spam.

I think mea culpa and the flame warnings were over a "heated debate" about the balance of homebrew, which to my knowledge I was the only person who had any punishment for.

Taking bets for how long it takes for me to get banned!

hamishspence
2011-12-23, 01:23 PM
I only got a warning once- and that was for posting a too-large pic.

Killer Angel
2011-12-23, 02:06 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think infractions/warnings are like cool scars.
Any chance the OP has already been answered and this is becoming a pointless debate? :smallamused:

Roland St. Jude
2011-12-23, 04:04 PM
Sheriff: Indeed. That's more than enough celebration of violating the Forum Rules.