PDA

View Full Version : Big Lipped Alligator Moments in your Campaigns

Dr.Epic
2011-12-22, 01:58 AM
As the title says: have you ever played a table top game and have this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigLippedAlligatorMoment) happen to you?:smallwink:

Coidzor
2011-12-22, 06:02 AM
I'm... ah... I'm trying to imagine what one would be in a session of an RPG. :smallconfused:

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-22, 06:25 AM
It was a Marvel Superheroes game. Gambit was in the kitchen, boasting about his culinary skills. A mutant frog watched him in horror, knowing that this one actually eats frogs!
The frog later got inside the mansion, said something to one of the mutants (it was a talking frog, and I think it tried to warn the puzzled mutant about Gambit being a dangerous predator), and hopped away happily.
The players were all "Huh? What was that?"

some guy
2011-12-22, 06:35 AM
In a game of Gamma World my players were ambushed by porkers (humanoid pig bikers). I tried to mimic the sound that the bikers make in the south park episode "The F-word" but failed (the pc's couldn't see the porkers yet, but could hear them), on which one of my players asked if the porkers were listening to dubstep. I decided, that yes, the bikerpigmen were having a dubstepparty and now are quite angry because you ruined that party.
Later the group befriended a porker via the magic of dubstep.

Yora
2011-12-22, 06:56 AM
In one of the first games I've ran before I actually had been a player once, the adventure mentioned a crossroads with a small shrine. It also stated that the large tree next to it is a sleeping treant that would only reveal itself it would be attacked or anyone tries to destroy the shrine. Seemed completely useless information to me, but I did as the adventure said and told the players they come to a shrine with a tree next to it. Nothing really to do there.
However, one player, having no idea why I described the scene either, stuck his dagger into the tree.

Everyone just ran away and after a moment of "WTF just happened?" they continued on their way on the road. Neither the shrine nor the treant ever beeing mentioned again in the campaign.

Lucid
2011-12-22, 08:27 AM
Not quite sure if this counts as it was partly oc. I'll try to translate the joke from dutch.

We were playing a 4e game a few nights before the dutch holiday of Sinterklaas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas). It was getting late and we were joking around. We all got the reference when we came to a town where there was a festival where people gave presents and sweets to the children. The party took this as a welcome break from their troubles, the sorcerer started planning a pyrotechnics performance for the feast the next day and there was much drinking and rejoicing. Everybody went to bed at the inn, and the dm told our ranger(a new player) that he wakes up from a noise on the roof. He looks out the window, doesn't see anything and goes back to bed. This got some laughs around the table :) Next the dm tells him he hears two soft thuds downstairs, and he goes downstairs to check it out. Dm paints a gruesome scene for us as the ranger finds two severed children's heads next to the shoes set in front of the fireplace.
Mind, it's nearing 3am, we've been drinking and playing for some time now so the dm asks us to try and be serious and get in the mood of the scene.
Then our ranger cries out "Come and see!"(in dutch). Now there is a well known sinterklaassong that starts with "Oh come and see, what I've found in my shoe tonight"
...which the dm starts singing. :D

After much roflolling, we found our composure and went after the killers, ended the session with an epic battle atop a flying ship. Good times. :)

nedz
2011-12-22, 12:19 PM
In a very early 1E game, the DMG hadn't been published yet and so we were using the blue book rules along with the PH.
The party are doing a basic dungeon crawl and I roll a random encounter from the table in the blue book: 4 Vicars.
Throughout the dungeon this result kept coming up; we had a whole series of Vicars running to and fro through the dungeon whilst the party were doing the usual explore/kill/loot.
Quite some time later we discovered that Vicar meant 4th level cleric, which would have been amost as strange.

Shade Kerrin
2011-12-22, 04:44 PM
All the time, we call them joke actions. Basically one guy says he will do something as a joke, someone else reacts, and we havve a ridiculous situation that for the purposes of gameplay will have never happened in the first place.
Actually, one player's managed to set him up to invoke BLAMs at any moment he feels like. Basically, he is completely invisible. He can become visible and interact with everyone else at any time, but once he's done they completely forget the interactions

Gnoman
2011-12-22, 06:17 PM
One of the big features of my current campaign is the players constantly coming across ancient battlefields from the Godwar (in which one of the three ruling sister goddesses and her followers stole the mortal world from her sisters and those that remained loyal) and the Titan War (in which an army of humans, orcs, and elves stole it back and restored the gods to their rightful place.)

Most times, I do my best to make the ruins suitably grand and awe-inspiring, but in one case, the actual site was pretty bland (just a 500-foot circle of very high grass in a perfectly flat plain called Godsmacked). While I'm waiting for them to find the tower entrance in the middle, they insist (for some reason they don't trust me after constant traps and ambushes) on proceeding very slowly and searching everywhere. I was a little drunk to begin with, so when one of the party blew a roll, I told them that they found a rapping hobo. After a brief confusion over how many "p"s I used in that phrase, they spent an hour interrogating him*, while I responded in (extremely bad) rhyme. Has yet to come back, and is not likely to.

*Among the various lesser gods in my setting are the srd gods, the dragonlance pantheon, and the Norse ones. The party mistook the hobo for an avatar of Paladine.

Wyntonian
2011-12-22, 06:21 PM
. I was a little drunk to begin with, so when one of the party blew a roll, I told them that they found a rapping hobo.

Mind if I sigquote this?

Gnoman
2011-12-22, 06:33 PM
Go right ahead.

GallóglachMaxim
2011-12-23, 12:18 AM
All the time, we call them joke actions. Basically one guy says he will do something as a joke, someone else reacts, and we havve a ridiculous situation that for the purposes of gameplay will have never happened in the first place. s

Our group goes by a rule that the DM can't hold you to any character actions described while touching your nose, lets people propose all sorts of crazy things.

Thane of Fife
2011-12-23, 10:09 AM
In an AD&D campaign, I ran an adventure where the rules of the game actually changed and weird stuff started happening to reflect that super-divine entities were conflicting. The players found one where he had plummeted to earth and helped him to regain the power he'd lost and that was that. It was supposed to lead into a plot arc, but that ended up not happening, so the players never found out what happened, and nothing ever came of it. To me, it was just a bad idea. To them, it must have been almost surreal - everything changes, some kid falls out of the sky, you help him fight some sort of fallen angel, everything goes back to normal. No explanation.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-23, 12:27 PM
I'm... ah... I'm trying to imagine what one would be in a session of an RPG. :smallconfused:

Let me paint a picture:

The PCs came across a horde of owl bears right after completing another quest. They were walking through the woods when they just appeared. They were getting beat by them, so the orc barbarian prayed to Gruumsh for help. He appeared in the sky and sent flaming rocks to come down and cook the owl bears. The PCs then ate the smoking bodies. This was never brought up again.

:smallwink:

Excession
2011-12-25, 07:40 PM
Let me paint a picture:

The PCs came across a horde of owl bears right after completing another quest. They were walking through the woods when they just appeared. They were getting beat by them, so the orc barbarian prayed to Gruumsh for help. He appeared in the sky and sent flaming rocks to come down and cook the owl bears. The PCs then ate the smoking bodies. This was never brought up again.

So... rocks fell, everyone dined?

Shyftir
2011-12-25, 09:44 PM
Excession, you sir, get a cookie!
http://www.interiordesigninspiration.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Photo-Cookies-3.gif

7RED7
2011-12-25, 10:01 PM
In one of the first games I've ran before I actually had been a player once, the adventure mentioned a crossroads with a small shrine. It also stated that the large tree next to it is a sleeping treant that would only reveal itself it would be attacked or anyone tries to destroy the shrine. Seemed completely useless information to me, but I did as the adventure said and told the players they come to a shrine with a tree next to it. Nothing really to do there.
However, one player, having no idea why I described the scene either, stuck his dagger into the tree.

Everyone just ran away and after a moment of "WTF just happened?" they continued on their way on the road. Neither the shrine nor the treant ever beeing mentioned again in the campaign.

Strangely enough we had almost the exact thing happen in one of our groups.
Except that it wasn't a random tree... it was a "World Tree" that supposedly kept all the "colors" of magic in balance and allowed the world to not be overrun by horrible monsters... or something.

In keeping with the whole "Everything is Colors" theme, and that particular DM's taste for anachronistic settings, my friend... who shall remain nameless was using a one-of-a-kind magical shotgun that had color coded shells that in, addition to damage, produced crazy results depending on what type of magic corresponded to the color. Captain Nameless took the Daredevil feat and interpreted it as having to roll to see whether or not he had to take the most moronic course of action possible in every given situation. Suffice to say he rolled badly. Very badly. The genius walks up to the tree and decides to use it in a scientific experiment to find out what the Black and scary looking shotgun shells actually do.

While discussing plot points with the tree's druid caretaker...
Captain Nameless: "I shoot the tree with the black shotgun shell". [troll/derp face]
DM: "What?"
CN: "I shoot at the tree with my shotgun. I haven't tried the black shells yet so I use one of those."
DM: "Why?"
CN: "I just think that's what my character would do."
DM: "Sigh" [actually said the word "sigh" and everything]
Apocalyptic hilarity ensues, and the DM adds a new creature to the party...
Ropey, the sentient rope, followed Captain Nameless around and choked him out any time he tried doing something equally dumb. Ropey got lots of exercise.

The Durvin
2011-12-26, 02:14 AM
A buddy of mine told me about a loose-ruled game of AD&D he had going one time with a home-brewed random deck of artifacts to draw from when they slew the bigger monsters; his dwarf barbarian wound up with the Autobot Matrix of Leadership.

UserClone
2011-12-26, 04:42 PM
Durvin that's awesome! Tell me that he later went on to use it revive Optimus Prime in front of a bawling (or preferably, unconscious and bleeding out) Sam Witwicky.

SCPRedMage
2011-12-26, 06:16 PM
In a Feng Shui game, one of our player's character was being interrogated as to why she tried to access a room on a restricted floor of a hotel she'd gotten herself hired on at. Another player was gearing up to go bust her out, and I figured I should come up with a distraction to lure some of the (heavily) armed guards away.

So I went running down the hallway, wearing nothing but a SF Giants baseball hat and facepaint, screaming "BRAIN ALIENS STOLE MAH TEEF!"

It worked. Quite well, actually.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 12:47 AM
4e campaign. I was the DM. The PC's were chatting in the downstairs of their newly purchased tavern (And by purchased, I mean the rogue befriended the frail, old owner, forged a legally-binding will, and then had the party's gnome sneak into the tavern owner's room and scare him to death so it looked like he died in his sleep...) and were preparing for their next quest. Meanwhile, upstairs in one of the tavern's bedrooms, a Facehugger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facehugger#Facehugger) techno party was underway. No one questioned how or why there were facehuggers and techno. Everyone had a business-as-usual attitude and said nothing about it, even when one came skittering out of the room for a moment, flexing its spindly little legs to the beat of the bass, before popping back in.

Winthur
2012-01-01, 02:31 AM
I tried to DM for a bunch of people my age that were really high and I was nervous so I made a really crappy cave crawl and we were just going along with it. At one point I was pouring myself Pepsi while talking and it went like this:
"The light from your torch flickers and you can see..."
"A GOBLIN OPENING A PEPSI"

Said goblin would appear on random occasions. Always sipping from a bottle.

In the grimdark world of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, you roll up peasants and drink Pepsi.

Vknight
2012-01-01, 02:51 AM
The parties cleric goes to contact his god for help he got it early in a vision of the mountains and a old temple.
So now they figure what do we do next? There solution/idea contact the god again. I had the cleric make a religion check, its the most holy day of the year for his god and priests, to celebrate one must become so drunk as to not be able to walk the next day.
So he completely sober is trying to contact his drunk god well hundreds of drunk priests do the same. The end result was him surrounded by a army of naked men, getting directs from gyrating dance numbers and damage to the strength in his faith.
The story was never brought to light again

molten_dragon
2012-01-01, 11:22 AM
A year or so ago, we were playing the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil module, and we came across a random room in one of the dungeons. The entire flavor text for the room was "This room is dark". We probably spent half an hour of real-time trying to figure out what was up with that room, because every single person there assumed that there had to be more to it than that. It's been a running joke ever since with our group.

Zorg
2012-01-01, 12:13 PM
Serious, dramatic game...
The party was visiting a sauna in the woods. The single male character of the party, a 16 yo elf, was there with the gnomish owner of said sauna (the ladies i na seperate building). He goes to leave and the creepy, creepy gnome (who hasn't said a word) picks up one of the elf's towels and starts to suck the moisture from it.
The elf stares in horror. The gnome stares back. Silence for a few moments before the gnome speaks:

"I like the taste of your body"

For some reason the elf never spoke of this event.

INDYSTAR188
2012-01-01, 01:08 PM
4E game... the party female elf rogue was a 'masked' thief, so when they got invited to a masquerade ball she proceeded to work the room and produce a sack-full of pink and silver confetti glitter to throw in peoples faces. I was surprised (he just made it up on the spot) but it was pretty funny, super random, and worked out for them in the end. She threw it onto people being flirty (but secretly investigating people) and was able to chase down a wanted person by following glitter droppings throughout the city.

Bhu
2012-01-01, 08:56 PM
I try throwing in goofy stuff in my silly campaign all the time, but sadly my players are getting used to it. Currently they're in a dwarven restaurant chatting with a dryad who may end up being secretary of the adventurers guild their trying to get off the ground using a haunted brothel as a headquarters. Shes extruded fangs, keeps draining watermelons, and handing the husks to a waiter saying "here, burn this".

Not one bad vampire pun in response from anyone :smallfrown:

Circle of Life
2012-01-01, 09:00 PM
The party was visiting a sauna in the woods. The single male character of the party, a 16 yo elf, was there with the gnomish owner of said sauna (the ladies i na seperate building). He goes to leave and the creepy, creepy gnome (who hasn't said a word) picks up one of the elf's towels and starts to suck the moisture from it.
The elf stares in horror. The gnome stares back. Silence for a few moments before the gnome speaks:

Oh. Oh god.

I am simultaneously repulsed and impressed, provided the DM could pull that off with a straight face.

Lycan 01
2012-01-01, 10:22 PM

Can't... stop... laughing...

Now that my lungs are bruised from laughing too much, I'm going to go plot how to work this into my next RPG... :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2012-01-02, 12:26 AM
Really? I found that just really creepy on the DM's part, as opposed to of any humorous value. *shrugs*

Sith_Happens
2012-01-02, 05:03 AM
Really? I found that just really creepy on the DM's part, as opposed to of any humorous value. *shrugs*

I found it surprising that the elf was content sauna-ing with the gnome instead of trying to sneak a peek at the rest of the party.:smallwink:

DigoDragon
2012-01-02, 08:50 AM
The party was deep in the woods trying to locate an illegal logging operation. They find it and plan out an assault of the camp. I have a box of miniatures and props on the floor by the table so I hop down from my chair to open the box and start collecting what I need to set up the fight.

As I'm collecting the miniatures, the party is refining their battle plan, talking about what order they should take out the lumberjacks in when they all suddenly break out into the Monty Python "I'm a Lumberjack" song.

I quickly look up at the table from the floor and the song had suddenly stopped, replaced with a group of quiet PCs rolling initiatives. I was quite... confused.
I decided not to ask about sudden musical numbers and we just went right into the combat. :smallsmile:

Flame of Anor
2012-01-14, 01:36 AM
Let me paint a picture:

So... rocks fell, everyone dined?

Take my internets, you guys.

What? You want a story? Well...one time we were infiltrating an orc border fort, and they had this entertainer guy. Bob Hopeless.