PDA

View Full Version : Down by the Sea

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-22, 12:28 PM
So in building a small campaign that will have some naval features in between some major land focused parts I have added a new city to my own personal realm, however each of my cities always have that one well known hero who seems to be mysteriously linked with the others (Major Plot Point not yet explained) This new city, more of a seaside village actually, I want to have a fishing themed champion. So I'm thinking Trident, Net and Harpoon. Some things I've looked at.

Net, apparently there's a Razor version, what is the difference and where is this found?
Enchantments/Enhancements to a Trident?
Enchantments/Enhancements to a Harpoon?

With this character I'm implementing an Idea I thought of some time ago, Basically a Spool of Rope/Wire or what not that ties to the end of a Harpoon, thus keeping the target attached to the Champion, the rope/wire has a max length equal to the max distance of the harpoon, and moreover the spool has a locking mechanism that makes it so the length of the rope/wire can be set. Can you think of any way a PC can attempt to use this feature against the Champion. (Provided they don't merely remove the Harpoon, it's kind of a punishment for those who don't take a moment to try and get rid of it. Fight Smart, not Hard)

Lastly what class should I use. I've come up with a few different ideas.
Barbarian- Rage for High Strength to Trip/Entangle and Two-Hand the Trident.
Ranger- Good Skills, Two-Weapon Fighting. Maybe Favoured Environment.
Warblade- Only TOB class that would really fit with the theme.
Fighter- FEATS
Rogue- Skills + Sneak Attack, (Harpoon out of Nowhere, very deadly)
Scout- 5ft Step, Throw Net, 5ft Step Full Skirmish Attack Two-Hand Trident
Something Incarnum- ? Soulmelds?

Thank you for any and all input.

The Main character idea is the Strong Fisherman type. Maybe some narcissism, think like Gaston from Beauty in the Beast if he lived in a Port Town. Not evil, just, self-absorbed.

gallagher
2011-12-22, 01:06 PM
there is a net-and-trident combat style feat that is not too bad, it basically amounts to an extra attack

barbarian is good here for a dip, as well as ranger (get gloves of the balanced hand so you dont have to take too much ranger) and then finish out with warblade

LemuneSD
2011-12-22, 01:17 PM
3.5 has Swashbuckler as a class (Complete Warrior). Figured I'd throw that out there for another possible class xD

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-22, 01:27 PM
there is a net-and-trident combat style feat that is not too bad, it basically amounts to an extra attack

barbarian is good here for a dip, as well as ranger (get gloves of the balanced hand so you dont have to take too much ranger) and then finish out with warblade

Yeah, I included the Feat in my notes, and it showed up in the post, or at least the affects of said feat under the "Scout" listing.

Gloves of the Balanced Hand?

3.5 has Swashbuckler as a class (Complete Warrior). Figured I'd throw that out there for another possible class xD

I did think of it, but from my notes from other peoples experience it's usually only useful for a 3 level dip. And then for multi-class feats.

hamishspence
2011-12-22, 01:32 PM
Net, apparently there's a Razor version, what is the difference and where is this found?

Dragon 303. Later, in the book Dragon Compendium. It does damage to those trying to escape it- but gets easier to escape each time you try.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-23, 09:59 AM
Dragon 303. Later, in the book Dragon Compendium. It does damage to those trying to escape it- but gets easier to escape each time you try.

Would you say it's better or worse than the standard net?

hamishspence
2011-12-23, 01:07 PM
Since it cannot be used again once it successfully traps a creature- that means it can get expensive.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-24, 12:50 AM
Since it cannot be used again once it successfully traps a creature- that means it can get expensive.

Yeah, the regular one should do well enough in that case.