PDA

View Full Version : Magic items and slots questions

lorddrake
2011-12-22, 02:04 PM
About a liches: they can use magic items. Rings, cloaks and crowns are okay. Belts are almost going for the weird location.

But, can a Lich use a special item like a pair of magical lens by RAW? And a demilich, can it use a magic item at all?

Urpriest
2011-12-22, 02:23 PM
Liches are shaped like people, they most certainly can use every magic item slot. Why shouldn't they be able to use lenses? They aren't skeletal, they have eyes. (Otherwise, where would the Eye of Vecna come from?)

General rules precedent is that a creature can use every type of wearable magic item unless something explicitly states otherwise. There are charts for Dragons in Draconomicon, for the various Lords of Madness aberrations, and for animals somewhere. Everyone else should by default be assumed to be able to wear everything.

It doesn't matter for a demilich anyway, since they explicitly can leave wearable items next to their phylacteries and use them that way.

lorddrake
2011-12-22, 02:31 PM
It doesn't matter for a demilich anyway, since they explicitly can leave wearable items next to their phylacteries and use them that way.

That piece of information I did not know.

About liches... I always assumed that they were skeletal.

Thank you, Urpriest.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-22, 03:29 PM
Here's the description:

A lich is a gaunt and skeletal humanoid with withered flesh stretched tight across horribly visible bones. Its eyes have long ago been lost to decay, but bright pinpoints of crimson light burn on in the empty sockets.

So yes, they are similar to skeletons, but there is still some flesh to them (barely).

Dr.Epic
2011-12-22, 04:27 PM
I don't see why a lich wouldn't be able to use them if other races the template was added to can. Unless there's something in the description about how it would affect undead, I don't see why they wouldn't.