PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Film (The other AMF)

Hanuman
2011-12-22, 02:13 PM
Homebrewers!

I propose an effect that creates a film of antimagic ranging from 1mm or less and can have a target object or creature-- the film would coat the entire creature (and attended gear), or an object of up to a certain size. The spell or effect would generally be a ray and require a reflex save to dodge if you didn't wish it, otherwise it could be granted by an item for personal targeting or persistent effect.

Thoughts on power compared to AMF? How easily can it be abused?

Morcleon
2011-12-22, 02:20 PM
So... kinda like the spell Antimagic Ray from SC...?

Zaydos
2011-12-22, 02:20 PM
Have you seen Antimagic Ray from Draconomicon/Spell Compendium? It seems similar to what you are describing, although they nerfed it to make it not stop much more than casting.

I'd say it's significantly more powerful than Antimagic Field; cast it on the fighter and he's now immune to magic although at a steep cost.

Question what happens to a creature grappled by the target?

Hanuman
2011-12-23, 03:07 PM
Have you seen Antimagic Ray from Draconomicon/Spell Compendium? It seems similar to what you are describing, although they nerfed it to make it not stop much more than casting.

I'd say it's significantly more powerful than Antimagic Field; cast it on the fighter and he's now immune to magic although at a steep cost.

Question what happens to a creature grappled by the target?

I don't think rays effect the creatures grappling with them unless theres some sort of area effect (or fumbles).

Though, a personalized spell that can coat #lb of gear could also coat a grappler. (I'd rule anyway.)

The effect entirely depends on the type of grappling involved-- the film would displace or dispel any magic it touches so this seems to effect Freedom of Movement (under most definitions of abjuration), making grappling still viable at high level.

I'd imagine an AMfilm would be useful for object coating-- casters generally have low fort so a good poison or ravage ammunition in the hands of a super range sneak attack could be devastating.