PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting into someone's square?

Demidos
2011-12-22, 03:37 PM
If I teleported into someone's square by such means as a dimension door spell or some similar ability, would it provoke an AOO?

W3bDragon
2011-12-22, 03:57 PM
By RAW, you trigger an AoO when you exit a threatened square, not when you enter. As such, in your example, you wouldn't provoke AoO.

However, the real question is, can you arrive at an occupied square? The spell says you cannot teleport to a spot occupied by a solid body. Does that description extend to creatures occupying the square? I guess that's up to your DM.

Silva Stormrage
2011-12-23, 01:57 AM
Hey I am the DM in this case hi Demidos :smallbiggrin:. For clarity he teleported from the target's sword as it was drawn and as the wielder was fighting. I was ruling it based off of for some reason thinking that grapple provoked for moving into the target's square. Though I can't seem to find that now. Would have ruled it as an AOO anyway though.

Main reason I am posting though is that shouldn't this go to the 3.5/d20 forum? Just saying :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2011-12-23, 09:30 AM
By RAW, you trigger an AoO when you exit a threatened square, not when you enter. As such, in your example, you wouldn't provoke AoO.

However, the real question is, can you arrive at an occupied square? The spell says you cannot teleport to a spot occupied by a solid body. Does that description extend to creatures occupying the square? I guess that's up to your DM.

Per the squeezing rules, you can have multiple people in a single 5x5x5 cube(presuming they are medium). At smaller sizes, you can get more in. So, by RAW, it's all about size.

There is absolutely no provoking for entering a square. Or for teleporting away, save for the normal casting rules if you didn't bother to cast defensively.