PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Psionics

pwykersotz
2011-12-22, 05:22 PM
So I got my DM to sign off on both of the Innate Spell feats to apply to psionics as well as magic, provided I sacrifice the appropriate number of power points. These feats, as many of you know, allow either 3/day casting or at will casting of a spell. He has also signed off on the feat Supernatural Transformation which turns any Innate Spell-like ability into a Supernatural Ability.

So now my question is this...what power would be best to be both at-will and supernatural? There's no level limit on this question, though I am currently ML 10 so any suggestions for powers over 5th level won't be able to be implemented for a while. I've considered Astral Construct, but while it makes them unable to be dispelled, it doesn't use most of what being Supernatural provides.

Thoughts?

Urpriest
2011-12-22, 05:28 PM
You want things with long manifesting times and XP costs. Psychic Reformation is an interesting choice, since making it spammable makes you very very versatile. Revivify is nice for similar reasons.

AmberVael
2011-12-22, 05:28 PM
So now my question is this...what power would be best to be both at-will and supernatural?

Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)

The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures).
All of them. :smalltongue: (Well, not at will, but supernatural).

More seriously, and much less cheesily, (though still really powerful) Metamorphosis. At will supernatural shapeshifting? I mean, what CAN'T you do with that?

Edit: Yeah, Reformation is definitely a great choice. Being able to change around feats, skills, and powers at will as a standard action is pretty boss.

Psyren
2011-12-22, 05:32 PM
If you have a ruling like that then I second Metamorphosis; the biggest trouble with polymorph is that it can be dispelled and this will let you chill out in Hydra form or whatever for the whole battle unperturbed. And unlike a wizard, you won't need a humanoid shape to manifest powers. Hell, you could be a telekinetic black pudding or something.

pwykersotz
2011-12-22, 05:51 PM
Wow, I didn't even think of Metamorphosis. A quick note though, the interpretation of the feat keeps the casting time the same as it is defined in the power (it counts as the "otherwise noted" bit) and XP costs are not purged. My DM allows a fairly large bit of cheese, but anything that would allow me to Reality Revision ad nauseum would earn a thrown DMG.

Psyren
2011-12-22, 05:59 PM
Wow, I didn't even think of Metamorphosis. A quick note though, the interpretation of the feat keeps the casting time the same as it is defined in the power (it counts as the "otherwise noted" bit) and XP costs are not purged. My DM allows a fairly large bit of cheese, but anything that would allow me to Reality Revision ad nauseum would earn a thrown DMG.

Meta's a standard action and has no XP cost, so you've got no problems there I'd say.

Other good choices are Force Missiles and Concussive Blast - the former's biggest weakness was SR, which you now ignore, and the latter can be used to smash barriers and enclosures (as well as monsters, including incorporeal.)

Energy Missile is also good at breaking objects if you switch to Sonic.

Rubik
2011-12-22, 06:10 PM
I second Metamorphosis. It's better than Polymorph in myriad ways. In fact, there are only 2 things that Polymorph does better than Metamorphosis:

1.) It allows living constructs (such as warforged) to become astral constructs
2.) It can be used on other characters (that aren't your psicrystal or are merged with your psicrystal)

On the pros side:

1.) It's not based on Alter Self, so you don't have to reference multiple spells and you aren't limited to forms one size category away from your original
2.) It works on nonliving creatures
3.) There's no errata so you don't have to slog through 800 different conflicting versions of it to figure out what it does
4.) Con boosts actually do boost your hp
5.) You can use it to become objects of any size up to the hardness limit
6.) Since you don't have any spellcasting components you need to worry about (aside from a few wonky powers in 3rd party sources), you don't lose any of your manifesting ability when you change
7.) It's easier to grab Metamorphic Transfer since you're already a manifester, and another feat in the same book vastly increases the healing you get when you change, depending on your Con score
8.) You can use it to make a psychoactive skin of proteus (which you won't need)
9.) Sharing it with your psicrystal is better than sharing Polymorph with your familiar, due to psicrystals getting feats and flat-out being better than familiars 99% of the time

It's pretty darned awesome. Infinite in- and out-of-combat healing for one feat? Huzzah!