PDA

View Full Version : an incarnum conundrum

big teej
2011-12-22, 06:13 PM
greetings playgrounders,

the long and short of it is simple

I need to obtain access to the Totem Chakra, and be able to bind a soulmeld to it.

WITHOUT taking a level in totemist.

thoughts?

suggestions?

if you know my source list, please stick to it, if you don't, please use as few books as possible.

so...

help?

I'd really rather not sink a whole level into totemist when I'm building a -not totemist-

enderlord99
2011-12-22, 06:16 PM
greetings playgrounders,

the long and short of it is simple

I need to obtain access to the Totem Chakra, and be able to bind a soulmeld to it.

WITHOUT taking a level in totemist.

thoughts?

suggestions?

if you know my source list, please stick to it, if you don't, please use as few books as possible.

so...

help?

I'd really rather not sink a whole level into totemist when I'm building a BARBARIAN

Ow! Why'd you have to -not whisper- that so loudly and obviously?:smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-12-22, 06:22 PM
I can't think of any way to do this. The ability that gives you the Totem Chakra isn't even typed, so I can't suggest "find some way to steal a class's Ex ability and use it on a Totemist."

Maybe (Limited) Wish for it? There are spells that can open other chakras after all, and Totem is a low-level (albeit unique) chakra, so you could make a case to your DM to invoke the "produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects" clause.

big teej
2011-12-22, 06:34 PM
Ow! Why'd you have to -not whisper- that so loudly and obviously?:smalltongue:

why'd you guess barbarian? :smallconfused:

I can't think of any way to do this. The ability that gives you the Totem Chakra isn't even typed, so I can't suggest "find some way to steal a class's Ex ability and use it on a Totemist."

Maybe (Limited) Wish for it? There are spells that can open other chakras after all, and Totem is a low-level (albeit unique) chakra, so you could make a case to your DM to invoke the "produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects" clause.

I like this plan.... I just wish it wasn't so reliant upon a willing DM.... oh well. :smalltongue:

EDIT:
mostly because niether of my DMs would go for it... I'm bout 98% positive.

IdleMuse
2011-12-22, 06:49 PM
Polymorph Shapechange into a Totem Giant (MoI 178) would do it?

I presume you are trying to qualify for Totem Rager sans Totemist?

Rubik
2011-12-22, 06:54 PM
Totemist, of course.

Limited Wish MIGHT do it.

Also, illithid savant.

The totem giant.

And that's pretty much it, far as I know.

Lapak
2011-12-22, 07:15 PM
There's not much that's going to do it without some level of DM input. Which makes sense; it's the signature ability of the class. It's like trying to find a way to get the Knight's Challenge without taking Knight or the delayed damage pool a Crusader gets without that class. If it's a key element of your build, it seems like Totemist is the most sensible way to go.

(Strictly speaking, you'd have to sink two levels into Totemist to be able to bind something to the chakra.)

Rubik
2011-12-22, 07:23 PM
There's not much that's going to do it without some level of DM input. Which makes sense; it's the signature ability of the class. It's like trying to find a way to get the Knight's Challenge without taking Knight or the delayed damage pool a Crusader gets without that class. If it's a key element of your build, it seems like Totemist is the most sensible way to go.

(Strictly speaking, you'd have to sink two levels into Totemist to be able to bind something to the chakra.)Or one level of totemist and some legacy champion.

enderlord99
2011-12-22, 07:27 PM
why'd you guess barbarian? :smallconfused:

Here's why:

Greenish
2011-12-22, 07:36 PM
A sarrukh (Serpent Kingdoms) could do it for you, if you're a scaled one of Toril.

big teej
2011-12-22, 07:51 PM
Polymorph Shapechange into a Totem Giant (MoI 178) would do it?

nope... not at all actually :smalltongue:

(Strictly speaking, you'd have to sink two levels into Totemist to be able to bind something to the chakra.)

I only wish to use it in conjunction with the "shape soulmeld" feat, so while I agree on the premise, I'm not quiiiite stealing the entire signature feature.

I need to be able to bind this specific soulmeld to the totem chakra to get what I'm after.

unless there's another way to do it that I'm unaware (or haven't thought) of

Here's why:

ah... well

no :smalltongue:

A sarrukh (Serpent Kingdoms) could do it for you, if you're a scaled one of Toril.

warforged actually. :smallredface:

to elaborate further on what I'm trying to do.

there is a soulmeld called "sphinx claws" which are basically wolverine's claws.

unfortunately, the only way to actually get the claws themselves, is to bind them to the totem chakra, which you can't open via feats.

I can't go into more detail here, I have a few people on these boards I don't want getting any heads up about this ^_^

actually wait.
if I game with you in real life, this spoiler is not for you!

I really mean it! go no further!

okay, basically, I wish to play an "assassinroid" basically, I'm going to be playing a warforged monk (and before you start flipping out I'm using a fixed version) the 'forged has a hat of disguise and a item of non-detection (at least that's the plan) but his signature weapon are his huge ginormic claws, heck, even the character's name is a play off the word "claws"

but I digress,
in summary
warforged monk
disguised as a rogue
kills people with GIANT CLAWS!!!

Psyren
2011-12-22, 07:59 PM
You don't need the totem bind for that. Tons of other ways to get... those things.

Do you have a link to this fix, because I can't think of any way it could possibly beat Totemist unless it gets maneuvers or is a Lightning Warrior in disguise.

Rubik
2011-12-22, 08:12 PM
A warforged psychic warrior with the Tashalatora feat would do it, since they get Claws of the Beast, and it's a beastly power if you want to optimize it. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866038/The_king_of_smack.)

big teej
2011-12-22, 08:25 PM
You don't need the totem bind for that. Tons of other ways to get... those things.

Do you have a link to this fix, because I can't think of any way it could possibly beat Totemist unless it gets maneuvers or is a Lightning Warrior in disguise.

for the record, I play "low op"

something "beating" something else at something is a bigger reason to NOT play something, not to play it.

furthermore, I can't play a totemist, the DM refuses to even take a look at incarnum. (me trying to take the feat is really pushing it as it is)

A warforged psychic warrior with the Tashalatora feat would do it, since they get Claws of the Beast, and it's a beastly power if you want to optimize it. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866038/The_king_of_smack.)

same with incarnum, not allowed to use psionics at all.

very well, let's abandon the incarnum idea.

my warforged needs claws.

EDIT: and here's the monk fix I'm trying to use.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122

pre-emptive second edit.

to be honest, I like the limited wish idea the most, but I'd love a way to do it by the books for if/when I finally get to play this guy.

Vortling
2011-12-22, 09:15 PM
May I assume that since you are playing a warforged that you would be allowed to take a warforged component from the Eberron campaign setting? If yes, then look no further than the battlefist (Eberron campaign setting p. 268). It behaves as a spiked gauntlet but the picture (which I sadly cannot find online) looks like set of large metallic claws. It also goes splendidly with monk as it lets you treat your unarmed strike as one size category larger. It is enchanted as a +1 weapon and costs a similar amount so it's not a 1st level character item but if you're level 4+ with standard wealth it should be affordable. The battlefist could be exactly what you're looking for.

big teej
2011-12-22, 09:37 PM
May I assume that since you are playing a warforged that you would be allowed to take a warforged component from the Eberron campaign setting? If yes, then look no further than the battlefist (Eberron campaign setting p. 268). It behaves as a spiked gauntlet but the picture (which I sadly cannot find online) looks like set of large metallic claws. It also goes splendidly with monk as it lets you treat your unarmed strike as one size category larger. It is enchanted as a +1 weapon and costs a similar amount so it's not a 1st level character item but if you're level 4+ with standard wealth it should be affordable. The battlefist could be exactly what you're looking for.

I wish you could.... I really do.

misfortunately, I possess solely the information contained within Monster Manual III

that said. if I may, for purpose of discussion.

I believe this is the battle first you refer too.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/Alpha5_2006/Cool%20pics/82146.jpg

whereas these are the sphinx claws I was originally after
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moi_gallery/91040.jpg

I'm aiming for something as close to the second as possible.

heck, I'm already kinda just guessing on what un-armored body does (no composite plating, no light fort, etc.)

Fouredged Sword
2011-12-22, 09:40 PM
Just slap the Feral template on it. Now you have fast healing and claws, plus some other nice abilities.

You broke down in a wild area of nature magic. The magic reawoken you changed and reformed in the image of the wilds, forgetting all you once where created to do, you now live to rend the world to shreds.

Vortling
2011-12-22, 11:50 PM
I wish you could.... I really do.

misfortunately, I possess solely the information contained within Monster Manual III

that said. if I may, for purpose of discussion.

I believe this is the battle first you refer too.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/Alpha5_2006/Cool%20pics/82146.jpg

whereas these are the sphinx claws I was originally after
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moi_gallery/91040.jpg

I'm aiming for something as close to the second as possible.

heck, I'm already kinda just guessing on what un-armored body does (no composite plating, no light fort, etc.)

That is quite a shame that you lack the book. And yes the first picture is the battlefist. Though I'm not aware of much else that looks like the sphinx claws other than sphinx claws themselves.

big teej
2011-12-23, 09:28 AM
That is quite a shame that you lack the book. And yes the first picture is the battlefist. Though I'm not aware of much else that looks like the sphinx claws other than sphinx claws themselves.

heh, everytime I come to the playground for help I am reminded of the current state of my library.

:smalltongue: :smallredface: :smallfrown:

Psyren
2011-12-23, 09:56 AM
Why would your DM ban incarnum, yet allow a soulmeld and chakra bind? :smallconfused:

Also, why couldn't a battlefist look like "Wolverine-claws"? It's all fluff.

Regardless, a template seems like your best bet, like Fouredged's suggestion.

heh, everytime I come to the playground for help I am reminded of the current state of my library.

:smalltongue: :smallredface: :smallfrown:

Buff your library with these (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0)

Incidentally, both Totemist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050907a&page=3) and Sphinx Claws (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050907a&page=4) are freely available online, so if that's what was keeping you from taking 2 levels in the class, worry no more.

Greenish
2011-12-23, 10:56 AM
I'm aiming for something as close to the second as possible.Reflu- oh wait, it's you.

Okay, you can't do it. Too bad.

Just out of curiosity, how does one disguise as "a rogue"?

IdleMuse
2011-12-23, 02:25 PM
Since it has kind of become relevant, now this thread has become more "How to obtain Badass Claws", what's your allowed source list?

Metahuman1
2011-12-23, 02:44 PM
This is almost certainly not helpful, but just in case.

A 19th lvl Factotum could do it with that Pick up other classes Signature ability's ability of there's.

Greenish
2011-12-23, 02:48 PM
A 19th lvl Factotum could do it with that Pick up other classes Signature ability's ability of there's.Though given the limited duration of said trick, you probably wouldn't have time to actually shape the soulmeld.

Psyren
2011-12-23, 02:54 PM
This is almost certainly not helpful, but just in case.

A 19th lvl Factotum could do it with that Pick up other classes Signature ability's ability of there's.

As Greenish said, you won't have time - Cunning Brilliance only lasts for one minute, but it takes an hour of meditation to shape and bind any melds.

Also, Cunning Brilliance says "At the start of each day, choose three extraordinary class abilities." The Totemist's Totem Chakra is not (Ex.)

big teej
2011-12-24, 02:51 PM
soooo

I finally had a chance to look at the sphinx claws closer

:smallyuk:

1d8 with no room for advancement.

I'm just gonna stick with the Monk's un-armed progression.

:smallsigh:

and I'm liable to smack my DM if he says "no" to paying 910 gp AND a feat for pure fluffyness

dextercorvia
2011-12-24, 05:03 PM
Why not go Psychic Warrior/Monk? Then you could rock Claws of the Beast/Vampire. I don't recall Tashalatora on your list of sources, but if you are convincing the DM to let in a feat -- that would be the one.

Fax Celestis
2011-12-24, 05:55 PM
soooo

I finally had a chance to look at the sphinx claws closer

:smallyuk:

1d8 with no room for advancement.

I'm just gonna stick with the Monk's un-armed progression.

:smallsigh:

and I'm liable to smack my DM if he says "no" to paying 910 gp AND a feat for pure fluffyness

Take Versatile Unarmed Strike: swift action, change your unarmed damage type from bludgeoning to piercing or slashing. Stays that way until you change it again.

The Random NPC
2012-01-02, 12:19 AM
Reflu- oh wait, it's you.

Okay, you can't do it. Too bad.

Just out of curiosity, how does one disguise as "a rogue"?

By disguising oneself as a monk! Everyone knows that no one actually plays monks, so if someone looks like one they must not be a monk.:smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-02, 12:26 AM
Why Monk when you can Unarmed Swordsage?

Besides, Sphinx Claws are much better bound to Hand chakra as a Pounce alternative for natural attacks.

There's several other soulmelds that can do the trick to the Hand chakra, though. Some of them have energy damage dice thrown on them, with an investment of essentia.

Reluctance
2012-01-02, 12:42 AM
Why Monk when you can Unarmed Swordsage?

Book limitations, as the OP often points out.

Fax hit the nail on the head. Take Versatile Unarmed Strike. Ask your DM if you can refluff it as blades. If he's a fluff nazi, homebrew a "retractable blades" feat that requires being a 'forged, and use VUS to show that it's well within WotC's idea of what a feat should do.

If you get shot down because the idea of a robot with retractable blades bugs him, or because he thinks that only officially published material with associated fluff is balanced, go druid.