PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Sword and Board Ranger for PFS play?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-23, 04:33 AM
A buddy of mine made a PFS Urban Ranger recently, but it certainly wasn't optimized. I was trying to help him out, but all it down was start an itch to make another Ranger for PFS play as well. So... heres what I got.

Human, Ranger lvl 1 20 point buy

STR 12
DEX 14 (16)
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 13
CHA 10

1 Weapon Finesse
1 TWF
3 Shield Focus
5 Missile Shield
7 ITWF
9 Critical Focus??
11 Bleeding Critical??

Ranger
2 Improved Shield Bash
6 Shield Master
10 Bashing Finish

traits:
Reactionary ?
Fast-Talker ?

I was going for an ex-city guard/watchmen type archetype, maybe Urban ranger, or just straight Ranger with Urban favored terrain... I haven't decided how important trapfinding is to me. I would have the Hunter's bond with my companions, to simulate a more teamwork styled character, i.e. ex-city guard.

My plan was to be a traditional TWF Finesse ranger for level 1: a shortsword and kukri duel wielding ranger. I would wear a chainshirt from level one onwards. When I hit level 2 and get Imp. Shield Bash, buy a light Shield, which can benefit from weapon finesse and now TWF, and wield the shortsword as my primary weapon, kukri as backup.

I would put all of my ability points into DEX, maybe one into WIS.

Once I hit level 9 and get Critical Focus, wield the Kukri (keen by then) as my main weapon, shortsword as backup. Once I hit level 10 and get Bashing Finish, whenever I critical I get a free shield bash. Once I hit level 11, whenever I critical I also get a free shield bash and deal 2d6 stacking bleed damage with my kukri.

I would pick up a wand of Leaden Blades, Cure Light Wounds, and Instant enemy ASAP.

Soo....

A.) is this build effective for a sword and board ranger/ranger in general?
B.) If not, what do you recommend I change?
C.) Would you keep Critical Focus and Bleeding Critical as 9th and 11th level feats, respectively?
D.) would you feel a straight Ranger or Urban Ranger is more valuable in PFS play?
E.) ... uh... Anything else I missed?

Thanks guys!

MeeposFire
2011-12-23, 04:39 AM
Do remember that you ignore the penalty on ITWF and TWF so all your attacks are at your full bonus except for your iterative attacks with your main hand.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-23, 04:50 AM
Do remember that you ignore the penalty on ITWF and TWF so all your attacks are at your full bonus except for your iterative attacks with your main hand.

Yes, with the Shield Master feat... love the weapon and shield ranger getting that at level 6 instead of 11. Only drawback is that you still need a high enough DEX for ITWF... I don't mind, however.

MeeposFire
2011-12-23, 05:02 AM
Yes, with the Shield Master feat... love the weapon and shield ranger getting that at level 6 instead of 11. Only drawback is that you still need a high enough DEX for ITWF... I don't mind, however.

Yea you can make up the damage with power attack. Well you could if you go dual spiked shields. That way no penalties on either hand and power attack will give you damage bonuses. Only problem is if you don't like the idea of dual shields (remember the AC bonus does not stack).

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-23, 05:18 AM
Yea you can make up the damage with power attack. Well you could if you go dual spiked shields. That way no penalties on either hand and power attack will give you damage bonuses. Only problem is if you don't like the idea of dual shields (remember the AC bonus does not stack).

yeah... I think some PFS DM's might frown on it, regardless of its legality. besides, an urban focused ranger wielding a shortsword and light shield makes sense in a crowded environment. two shields is a thematic fail, in this case. thanks for the advice though.

As for Power attack... not enough strength for the prerequisites.

MeeposFire
2011-12-23, 05:26 AM
yeah... I think some PFS DM's might frown on it, regardless of its legality. besides, an urban focused ranger wielding a shortsword and light shield makes sense in a crowded environment. two shields is a thematic fail, in this case. thanks for the advice though.

As for Power attack... not enough strength for the prerequisites.

yea I forgot to check your str score. You do have an issue about damage though. You will end up accurate but your damage will be poor (hence why I thought of power attack). Do you have any options for adding damage (preferably non-conditional damage)?

Don't forget to make your shield spiked and put the bashing enchantment on the shield part of the shield.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:16 AM
PF has piranha strike as a dex based power attack for light weapons, so that should solve some of his problems.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-23, 04:26 PM
well, what should I swap out for Piranha Strike then?

Also, wouldn't using Piranha strike AND TWF make my accuracy drop considerably?

jmelesky
2011-12-23, 04:41 PM
You have to wait till you can afford it, but the "agile" weapon enchantment lets you add Dex to damage instead of Str, if you have Weapon Finesse. It's only a +1 cost.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-23, 04:47 PM
You have to wait till you can afford it, but the "agile" weapon enchantment lets you add Dex to damage instead of Str, if you have Weapon Finesse. It's only a +1 cost.

oh, right, I had forgotten about that, from the Pathfinder field Guide... and I should definitely be able to afford it by the time I'm able to fit in Piranha Strike anyway. Might as well spend the money, instead of trying fit in a feat.

IN any case, how does the rest of the build look?