PDA

View Full Version : What would you add to this party?

molten_dragon
2011-12-23, 05:47 AM
We've started a new campaign recently, and a new player wants to join. He's looking for suggestions on what to play, and I'm not really sure what to tell him. The party currently consists of:

Battle Sorcerer 4 - Planning for Battle sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4
Favored Soul 4 - Not sure if he's planning to prestige out or take it all the way
Binder 4 - Ditto here, I'm guessing he'll do full progression though
Either lurk or psychic rogue 4, I'm not sure yet, and I'm not sure what he plans to do with the character in the future.

It doesn't seem like we have any major holes in the party that need filled, so what would you add to it?

motoko's ghost
2011-12-23, 05:59 AM
Bard or ranger as the 5th wheel and to shore up any gaps

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:07 AM
Without any real necessities, tell him to play whatever he likes

Some notes. Both the FS and battle sorc have limited spell lists which lock them in a role. That means the party lacks changing utility lists

The sorc is going to be divided with his magic/melee, and the FS will be using only buffs since they have issues with save DCs. however you seem to lack "dedicated" melee. Consider anything from ToB. Alternately it means you lack a true offensive caster. Battlefield control is a must have.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-23, 06:15 AM
If you need dedicated melee I would suggest ranger(possibly wildshape ranger) just because it is quite good at melee.
Also what edition is this and is there a "theme" to this campaign?

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:19 AM
If you need dedicated melee I would suggest ranger(possibly wildshape ranger) just because it is quite good at melee.

Ranger is pretty bad at dedicated melee, though wildshape mystic ranger with SotAO makes great 5th wheel and can sort of melee

molten_dragon
2011-12-23, 06:22 AM

We're doing 3.5 and playing a modified version of the pathfinder adventure path Serpent's skull.

Also, I forgot to mention in the original post, the DM has banned Tier 1's for this campaign.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:24 AM
What about psionics?

HunterOfJello
2011-12-23, 06:26 AM
Crusader

If the player is new to the game, then Warblade.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:28 AM
gonna throw in a vote for psiwar into slayer or ardent into slayer for melee

Socratov
2011-12-23, 06:31 AM
i second the bard option. they make indeed a great fifth wheel, and waht's even better, depending on what you discover missing during play, the bard can take care of it, either going warriorskald (going slightly more melee/frontline fighter) or caster (sublime chord + virtuoso), or healer (healing hymn ACF). it will take the edge off for the casters because they won't need to act as a partyface too (reserving spells for that), and the more martial oriented partymembers got some support by inspire courage/heroics and other nice things the bard has.

molten_dragon
2011-12-23, 06:32 AM
What about psionics?

Psionics are fine with the exception of spell to power erudite.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 06:35 AM
Psionics are fine with the exception of spell to power erudite.

Is SU transformation too cheesy for the group? Because with psyreform he can be a different character every day.

Otherwise ask him. If he wants to be...
Caster: Psion
Gish: Psiwar/Ardent
Face: Bard/Sublime Chord
Melee: Warblade (tripper probably)

Edit, can't believe I forgot...
Savage bard gets summon nature's ally on his list. He can cast it spontaneously. He thus qualifies for Greenbound Summoning, which means he becomes a BC expert, buffer, party face and blender rolled into one.

Randomguy
2011-12-23, 08:16 AM
I would say a bard, to add some buffs, spells and melee (or ranged if you prefer) combat. Mystic rangers would also fill that role well. A warlock would also be nice, for some extra magic (invocations, really, but same thing) and ranged combat. If you want a really dedicated caster, a Wu-Jen is a good choice.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 08:59 AM
Even with the unoptimized choices of the rest of the party, bringing a warlock to the table is a bad idea. It is just far too limited. Ideally he should fall between tier 2-3 with the character, that basically means bard/mystic SotAO ranger/psiwar all as good fifth wheels.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-23, 09:25 AM
People should play what they want. A Barbarian with Lion Spiritual Totem to gain pounce will let the PC charge around the battlefield and wail on things, which can be great cathartic fun for the player. Sometimes you'll find enemies which are too resistant to your magical cleverness, and you just need to hit them hard and often.

dspeyer
2011-12-23, 12:07 PM
Probably a sorcerer or psion. The battle sorcerer has very few spells known, and will probably be spending a lot of them on self-buffs, so there's a lot of arcane ground open. Try to find out his planned spell list and not take anything on it.

Also, he'll be spending his wbl on weapons and armor, so you spend yours on scrolls.

Waker
2011-12-23, 12:21 PM
Bard, Crusader, Warblade or Totemist for my suggestions.
Totemist is good because of it's day to day flexibility, while also being somewhat mutable over the course of the day by being able to reassign essentia. They make excellent damage dealers and can fill in the role of a skill user to a degree.
I can't recall if Spirit Shamans are tier 1 or 2, but they make a decent class. The druid spell list has some good spells, plus the class has some interesting powers.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-23, 12:23 PM
Cleric maybe. You seem a little light in the healing department.

Lord Ruby34
2011-12-23, 12:49 PM
You could have him go Bardblade, Song of the White Raven gets all the important stuff.

Psyren
2011-12-23, 01:00 PM
You need a tank. The Favored Soul can go that route but you need one that doesn't depend so much on spell-buffs. The Binder can also do that but not for awhile. I second Totemist as a great option, as they can also pick up some other roles in the party if needed.

Incarnate is also a great tank, and they make phenomenal healers as well.

Also, ask the Binder if he plans to be the party face. (They are VERY good at it, although failing their binding checks and resulting in some influences can really throw a spanner in the works.)

molten_dragon
2011-12-23, 01:47 PM
Also, ask the Binder if he plans to be the party face. (They are VERY good at it, although failing their binding checks and resulting in some influences can really throw a spanner in the works.)

With three CHA based characters in the party, we have plenty of faces and don't need another.

Psyren
2011-12-23, 01:50 PM
With three CHA based characters in the party, we have plenty of faces and don't need another.

I wasn't suggesting you get ANOTHER face. I was suggesting you let the Binder you already have be THE face.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-23, 01:51 PM
Not a great deal of skill use though. Factotum or Beguiler?

Metahuman1
2011-12-23, 02:53 PM
Bard
Duskblade
Begualiar
Dragon Fire Adept
Trapsmasher Spirit Lion Wolf Totem Barbarian
Incarnate
Totemest
Tome of Battle (Anything.)
Psion
Psiwarrior

Any of the above should do it just fine.

Psyren
2011-12-23, 03:09 PM
Psychic Warrior would work very well here; psionic characters do their best work in tandem.

(Then have the Binder bind the psionic vestiges, and the lot of you can fire off a Metaconcert.)