PDA

View Full Version : A tough choice

Grug
2011-12-23, 10:37 AM
First off, I know that at least one of my players frequents the Giantitp.com forum. Skellengar, avert ye gaze. Also avert your gaze Matt, Mike, Neal, Zach, Evan of Amherst MA.

Are they gone? Okay good.

So, myriad and experienced roleplayers, I have a conundrum. I'm going to be running an upcoming short horror campaign with an original mythology, involving a parallel dimension called The Deep. The Deep is populated by two races, The Stonedwellers and The Seadwellers, which live far underground/water, where no light reaches. The races are embroiled in a cold war, and have approximately Roman Empire levels of technology plus some magic. Humans, being from The Empty, are regarded as demons and mythological figures, and it just so happens that the Players are summoned by a wayward sorcerer and become the force that heats up the war.

Ultimately, each side developing their own super weapon that would destroy the other side. If the Stonedwellers win, the oceans all turn to stone. If the Seadwellers win, the Earth's mantle becomes flooded. It will come down to the players deciding which to prevent, and which way to make the human race go extinct. The thing is, I realized that if BOTH doomsday weapons are utilized, then the Human race has a chance to survive, which is the happiest ending the players are going to get.

But how can I hint that's an option without outright showing them the easy way out? Players have a tendency to latch on to every hint and plot hook along the way. In addition, if they pick one or the other, when should I share that they had a third, better option all along? Do I wait until after the session is concluded and go "Neener neener, you could have won"? Or should I wait a few days?

Kol Korran
2011-12-23, 11:28 AM
i personally think, knowing players, that they'll try and destroy BOTH weapons, and would accept no other option. if that's not possible, i think they will try and find a way to alert the humans, or find a solution in which they could survive (such as finding a deal with the sea dwellers that they could all live on ships/ rafts, sea world like)

but just destroy a weapon and doom the humans? why would they even try that? what is their motivation? also- why should the players like this? (horror themed games give some sort of a motive for the protagonist to make their horrible choices, and this should be enjoyable to the reader/ player someway).

i suggest not telling your players at all about a third option. if they come by it- huzzah! they feel clever. if they don't and you tell them, then their choice feels flawed and you just ruined the game's experience.

the DM can outwit players, and players can outwit the DM, but it's not the point. the point is the experience had from the choices and actions taken.

Rorrik
2011-12-23, 11:32 AM
It can be hard leading players to a conclusion that seemed clear to you. i recently had to have the most religious character in my current campaign receive a "vision" from his god telling him what to do next.

In your case it may be best to remind them that as humans they are concerned for the two races, but more so for their own race, the human race, and are dismayed that either weapon will wipe the humans out. This may lead them to try to stop both, or they may realize that they could use both to ensure survival as well, though that's more of a stretch.

Gabe the Bard
2011-12-23, 11:45 AM
Couldn't the players also choose one side and figure out a way to make the doomsday scenario survivable for the human race? Maybe they'll find a way to sabotage the weapon, or come up with a way to protect a group of human survivors, so you end up with Mad Max or Waterworld. That way, they won't feel like they made the completely wrong choice because they missed the hints about the hidden scenario.

jackattack
2011-12-24, 08:21 AM
Create a scenario in which scaled-down versions of the super weapons go off together. Perhaps a battle at a key strategic location, perhaps one side trying to sabotage a test by the other side.

Once the party sees the effect of the two weapons interacting in micro, it is up to them to figure out the consequences/benefits of the two weapons interacting in macro.