PDA

View Full Version : Help with a class to fit back story

Legendairy
2011-12-23, 01:35 PM
Ok so one of my players has this back story for his character, he wants my help and I have thrown a few ideas at him for consideration, however i resort to the playground as you guys and gals are more knowledgable than I.

So the question what kinda class/feats/skills fits this back story. (abilities have not been rolled but assume something like 18-17-16-15-15-15 but he wont play the character if he can't figure this out)

He's an elf that was killed at a very young age and reincarnated as a bugbear. Grew much faster than his friends and got a rushed (in elf terms) education and was put with progressively older groups who looked on him with pity at best or loathing at worse. Magical training was kept from him because he aged so much faster but he feels it's because of distrust and not being a real elf.

Even elven weapons didn't fit his hands right. His size caused him to be clumsy and at least once serious accidents where his few friends were hurt. Tree limbs can hold elf kids but not with the added weight of a bugbear, etc. So he feels dumb and clumsy but he's really not. A self loather who's gone into the forest because it doesn't judge. He see's even his god, the god of outcasts, as disliking him because of his new race but still thinks of himself as an elf.

Thank you all in advance!

Edit: players choice to only use Core books, most the completes, FRCS.

Madara
2011-12-23, 01:48 PM
An odd-ball, but what I believe to fit the concept is factorum(dungeonscape), lets him use his Int for combat and stuff other people will help you with.

Madara away!

Waker
2011-12-23, 01:52 PM
That is a rather unusual backstory, but I'll see if I can't make a few suggestions.
As for base classes, I would recommend Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, or Scout, though an amusing class could be Favored Soul. The first four would correspond more with the fact that the character is an outcast and needed to be more self-sufficient. The Favored Soul I mentioned because it is a spellcasting class that isn't dependent on being trained nor even having the bloodline that sorcerers are usually associated with.

I could suggest other classes like Warblade, but that strikes me more as a class with formalized training.

As for PrCs, some decent ones would be Ruathar, so the character can finally get the recognition from his community, Fist of the Forest, to embody his self-sufficiency.

Legendairy
2011-12-23, 02:30 PM
I actually suggested Ranger,Barbarian and Scout. I do dig the concept of FS however he hates them with the fiery passion of a thousand suns sooo I doubt he will use it.

Also he is further gimping himself on books, I allow pretty much everything but dragon magz.

So the only books available to him (again his choice) are; Core books, most the completes, FRCS.

Incriptus
2011-12-23, 02:40 PM
Still an Elf at heart he was drawn to both magic and sword play. He was denied the oppertunity to learn the more traditional arts but magic flaired in the dark corners of his soul.

Today he is a Hex Blade

Waker
2011-12-23, 02:50 PM
So he's taking a pass at those classes and limits himself on the books for some reason. Those limitations really hurt or else I would say something like Paladin of Freedom or Savage Bard.
Yeah, I can't really help with his idea. He either needs to change his background a bit or give other classes a chance.

Legendairy
2011-12-23, 02:58 PM
Kind of the dillema, he was looking into a FS/ranger but his gods favored weapon is a dagger. I honestly think he is changing it to hobgoblin (I personally think thats what he meant initially). so Hexblade and FS are viable options (no hit to cha and no Racial HD)