PDA

View Full Version : Medusa PC Rules (4E) (PEACH)

Echo 13
2011-12-23, 03:15 PM
(I hope this is in the right place. First time posting.)

So me and my gaming group plan on playing a monster race/vampire/other generally hated race campaign at some point (Currently dubbed "I Am Not A Monster"). I realised that there weren't that many monster races available, or at least not enough for my taste. So (as DM), I've started homebrewing a few more.

So far I've made rules for Medusae player characters. Now, this is my first time ever really homebrewing something, and I'm really not sure how balanced these rules are (underpowered, overpowered, or anything in between), so I would really be grateful for some critique on it.

I've split it into Medusa (Male) and Medusa (Female) due to the different traits of the genders. So without further ado:

Medusa (Female)

Average Height: 5’6”-6’2”
Average Weight: 145-230 lb

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma; +2 Dexterity or Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 Squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy
Poison Resistance: You have Resist Poison 5 + one half your level.
Petrification Immunity: You are immune to petrification.
Snaky Hair: Your unarmed attacks always count as poisoned with Medusa Venom, and you do D6 damage rather than D4. This cannot be combined with the Monk’s Unarmed Strike or the Vampire’s Vampiric Slam.
Natural Poison: You can create and use Medusa Venom. You can create a number of vials each day equal to you Charisma, Strength, or Constitution modifier (pick which you will use when you create your character). The venom loses its potency after 24 hours.
Petrifying Gaze: You can use Petrifying Gaze as a daily power.

Petrifying Gaze
You unleash the power of your gaze, turning the flesh of your foe to stone, until he is petrified completely.
Daily ◊ Gaze
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: All enemies in burst
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Fortitude, Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude, or Constitution +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Blind creatures are immune. The target is slowed (save ends). First Failed Save: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends). Second Failed Save: The target is petrified (no save).
Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 bonus at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Charisma, or Constitution as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains through your character’s life and does not change the powers other effects.

Medusa (Male)

Average Height: 5’6”-6’2”
Average Weight: 145-230 lb

Ability Scores: +2 Strength; +2 Constitution or Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealth, +2 Intimidate
Heightened Poison Resistance: You have Resist Poison 10 + one half your level.
Petrification Immunity: You are immune to petrification.
Natural Poison: You can create and use Medusa Venom. You can create a number of vials each day equal to you Charisma, Strength, or Constitution modifier (pick which you will use when you create your character). The venom loses its potency after 24 hours.
Superior Natural Poison: Your Medusa Venom has a +2 racial bonus to attack rolls. This bonus transfers to whoever uses your poison.
Venomous Gaze: You can use Venomous Gaze as a daily power.

Venomous Gaze
You unleash the power of your gaze, hurting your foe and leaving him weakened.
Daily ◊ Gaze, Poison, Psychic
Standard Action Close blast 5
Target: All enemies in burst.
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Will, Charisma +2 vs. Will, or Constitution +2 vs. Will
Hit: Blind creatures are immune. 2d6 + Charisma Modifier damage, and the target is dazed and weakened (save ends both)
Increase to +4 bonus and 3d6+ Charisma Modifier damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 4d6 + Charisma modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Charisma, or Constitution as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains through your character’s life and does not change the powers other effects.

Medusa Venom
Your salvia is poisonous- by coating your weapons in it, you can make them much more effective.
Poison Special
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Fortitude, Charisma +2 vs. Fortitude, or Constitution +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Ongoing 5 + half level ongoing poison damage.
Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 bonus at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Charisma, or Constitution as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this poison. This choice remains through your character’s life and does not change the powers other effects.
Your poison does not need to be used on your own weapon, but your stats are always used for determining the poisons effects and hit roll.

---

...Phew, there we go.

Okay, so, the main thing which worries me is that they appear to have more racial abilities than official PC races. The gaze attacks also worry me (hence why they're Daily rather than At-Will), but I refuse to make Medusae incabable of using death glares. At the same time I'm worried that they're not as powerful as other races, as I am honestly useless at telling this.

So, possible buffs/debuffs I've thought of:

Possible Buffs:

Increase uses per day of Gaze abilities

Possible Debuffs:

Reduce amount of venom produced per day
Change Petrification Immunity to a bonus to saves against petrification
Weaken the gaze effects
Medusae only start with Common (A small one, but still)
Eliminate venom production completely (One I'm not keen on but realise may be necessary)
Add penalties to the race (I don't know what though, other than "people hate you")

So! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Thankyou in advance!

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-23, 03:35 PM
I believe plural would be Medusae.

Echo 13
2011-12-23, 03:42 PM
I believe plural would be Medusae.

Upon returning from google, yes, it would appear so. Thanks much.