PDA

View Full Version : Making Abjurant Champion based in Psionics?

Rossebay
2011-12-23, 07:12 PM
So, I want to use Abjurant Champion in an upcoming campaign, but I want to play a Psion.

What would you guys suggest that I do to change Abjurant Champion to being a Psionic-based class?

Which school would the class abilities make swift actions and extend? Also, what do we do with the Armor Class ability?

Arcane boost is an easy one. Instead of the spell levels, I just pay the equivalent power levels.

Finally, Martial Arcanist is basically unchanged.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-12-23, 07:36 PM
Psionics doesn't have a discipline equivalent to Abjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#disciplineSubdiscipline) . Its powers that are similar to abjurations (Dispel, Force Screen) are in its version of the Evocation school. Its defensive buffs already scale up via augmentation, so there's no need for a prestige class to add a bonus to keep them relevant. It would actually be quite inappropriate to adapt this class to psionics.

If you want to play a psionic gish, check out the Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) as well as the Sanctified Mind from Lords of Madness. They both grant unique and interesting class features which are far more appropriate for a psionic character.

Rossebay
2011-12-23, 07:43 PM
Psionics doesn't have a discipline equivalent to Abjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#disciplineSubdiscipline) . Its powers that are similar to abjurations (Dispel, Force Screen) are in its version of the Evocation school. Its defensive buffs already scale up via augmentation, so there's no need for a prestige class to add a bonus to keep them relevant. It would actually be quite inappropriate to adapt this class to psionics.

If you want to play a psionic gish, check out the Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) as well as the Sanctified Mind from Lords of Madness. They both grant unique and interesting class features which are far more appropriate for a psionic character.

The thing that really brought this about was that in Complete Mage, it says,
Adaptation
The abjurant champion can be made into a divine prestige
class by altering the requirements and spellcasting progression.
Alternatively, with a bit more work, the class can be
transformed into a psionic prestige class, with its boost
costing a range of psionic power points. On a campaign level,
you might wish to restrict the champion to one particular
organization of the setting.

So, while Slayer is probably going to be used, I'd like some help adapting this class as fairly as possible. If we can indeed get this class changed over to psionics, I feel that it'd be more rewarding than Slayer.
Sanctified Mind is also pretty cool, but again, I'd just like to see where we can get this.

Elric VIII
2011-12-23, 08:12 PM
Well, for the Abjurant Armor ability you can grant a discount of Abjurant Champion level x2 to the augment cost of any powers that grant AC (essentially +1 AC per AbjChamp level).

As for quickened spells, just generate a list of various defensive powers to be affected. Maybe give it the ability to choose one "defensive" power/level. To simulate the 3rd or lower aspect, limit it to powers on which you spend no more than your AbjChamp level in PP (max 5, or a 3rd level power).

Rossebay
2011-12-23, 08:21 PM
Well, for the Abjurant Armor ability you can grant a discount of Abjurant Champion level x2 to the augment cost of any powers that grant AC (essentially +1 AC per AbjChamp level).

As for quickened spells, just generate a list of various defensive powers to be affected. Maybe give it the ability to choose one "defensive" power/level. To simulate the 3rd or lower aspect, limit it to powers on which you spend no more than your AbjChamp level in PP (max 5, or a 3rd level power).

I definitely like these suggestions.
One defensive power/level with the max of Ab. Champ level would work very well.
For Extend Abjuration, should the AC-granting powers be extended, or should the Swift powers also gain the benefit of Extend? I feel as though it makes more sense to extend the AC-Granting ones.

Elric VIII
2011-12-23, 09:54 PM
I definitely like these suggestions.
One defensive power/level with the max of Ab. Champ level would work very well.
For Extend Abjuration, should the AC-granting powers be extended, or should the Swift powers also gain the benefit of Extend? I feel as though it makes more sense to extend the AC-Granting ones.

Either would work. I'd say go with the chosen defense powers + the AC ones (including those not chosen). Normal AbjChamp works on all abjurations, the psionic version will have only a fraction of the potential spells.