PDA

View Full Version : Throwing A Punch [3.5 Genaral Feat, PEACH]

SilverSavio
2011-12-24, 03:15 PM
I'm back once more with more unarmed love, not just for NeoSeraphi's Brawler this holiday season. Here is a general feat idea that I've been thinking on for a while. I started off by looking at the Serpent Fang feat from Sandstorm and thought that there must be a better way for this to work. This is the answer I have come up with and it seems fair to me, but I want to know what you all think.

Throwing A Punch [General, Fighter]
You are able to to deliver a blow so powerful that it can cross thin air.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist or similar ability, Power Attack

Benefit: You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). By expending one Stunning Fist (or similar) use for the day and declaring use of Power Attack, you can project your attack to strike an opponent that is 5 feet or more beyond your normal unarmed reach. To determine this reach you must declare a part of the Power Attack damage modifier for reach. The number chosen is multiplied by 5 feet giving you the range of the attack (damage modifier part * 5 ft). If the blow hits, it deals normal unarmed damage.

Special: Monks due not need Power Attack to qualify. Instead their range is determined by adding their level by their Wisdom Modifier plus their level and then multiplying that by five feet ([Monk lvl+Wis Mod]*5).

Monks can use special monk weapons when using this feat. Also any character with the Weapon Focus feat, with a melee weapon chosen, can use that weapon when using this feat. In both cases dealing damage according to the weapon.

SilverSavio
2011-12-29, 12:04 PM
I'm just going to take a wild guess and say that my feat is unremarkable. Not too bad, but not too good as well.

eftexar
2011-12-29, 12:14 PM
Its neat. Its also seems pretty balanced to me and the monk can take all the help it can get.
It would be more interesting it if it had a feat tree though. Maybe an improved version that allows a bullrush with it or even some sort of pseudo-grappling?

Mulletmanalive
2011-12-29, 12:14 PM
Actually, i
d say it was mostly pointess in a low-op game but potentially very powerful in a higher op game.

GTOskar's monk would do well with it, or as a combo with leap attack but otherwise not so useful.

SilverSavio
2011-12-29, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. And I think I've come up with some interesting ideas for a feat tree that would be (mostly) worth while for this concept. Any more comments on these feats would be very welcomed and appreciated.

Improved Throwing A Punch

[General, Fighter]
Through hard work and practice you unlocked new secrets about your punching prowess.

Prerequisite: Throwing A Punch

Benefit: Exactly like Throwing A Punch except you can project your attack even further to strike an opponent. The number chosen from the damage modifier from Power attack is first multiplied by 2, and then multiplied by 5 feet giving you the range of the attack (2 * damage modifier part * 5 ft). If the blow hits, it deals normal unarmed damage.

Also you can now use Throwing A Punch without an expenditure of Stunning Fist for a price. Declaring use of Throwing A Punch without Stunning Fist reduces the trade of damage modifier from Power Attack by one-half (0.5 * damage modifier part * 5 ft).

Special: Monks can use special monk weapons when using this feat. Also any character with the Weapon Focus feat, with a melee weapon chosen, can use the weapon when using this feat. In both cases dealing damage according to the weapon.

Supreme Throwing A Punch

[General, Fighter]
You are a master of physical force.

Prerequisite: Improved Throwing A Punch

Benefit: Just like with Improved Throwing A Punch except the damage modifier part is multiplied by 3 (3 * damage modifier part * 5 ft). Not only this but you can use Throwing A Punch without an expenditure of Stunning Fist for no price.

Special: Monks can use special monk weapons when using this feat. Also any character with the Weapon Focus feat, with a melee weapon chosen, can use the weapon when using this feat. In both cases dealing damage according to the weapon.

Throwing More Than A Punch

[General, Fighter]
You have learned some nifty tricks with that power.

Prerequisite: Throwing A Punch

Benefit: You can initiate a Bull Rush, a Trip, a Sunder, or a Disarm as a full-round action at range when you use Throwing A Punch. These actions incur a -4 penalty unless you have the Improved versions of them.

Gan The Grey
2011-12-29, 04:22 PM
Sounds alot like the Ring the Golden Bell feat from Dragon Compendium. I'm AFB right now, but if I remember correctly, you can expend a Stunning Fist attempt to throw a punch a number of feet equal 5 * your Wisdom modifier. That sounds about right.

eftexar
2011-12-29, 04:30 PM
I think I like the power attack mechanic more. While it is more complicated, it requires more thought to use (and sometimes I think D&D is a little short on strategic options).

Gan The Grey
2011-12-29, 04:37 PM
I think I like the power attack mechanic more. While it is more complicated, it requires more thought to use (and sometimes I think D&D is a little short on strategic options).

I don't know. With their average BAB and horrific MAD, monks have a hard enough time hitting targets right in front of them without requiring them to reduce their to-hit even more just to use this feat. I like the intent behind it, but I think it would just turn into a trap feat.

eftexar
2011-12-29, 04:43 PM
Ouch... Forgot about the lower BaB. But I still like the concept for it. Actually it would lend fairly well to trying to building a telekinetic without actually playing a manifester (much fun to be had).
An alternate version could still work for the monk if it had a trade off for damage, maybe reducing the monks unarmed bonus by one step per 5ft?

Gan The Grey
2011-12-29, 04:52 PM
Ouch... Forgot about the lower BaB. But I still like the concept for it. Actually it would lend fairly well to trying to building a telekinetic without actually playing a manifester (much fun to be had).
An alternate version could still work for the monk if it had a trade off for damage, maybe reducing the monks unarmed bonus by one step per 5ft?

Ring the Golden Bell had it right, me thinks. Much of the cost for this ability lies within the need to purchase a feat and then expending Stunning Fist attempts to make it work. Anything more is just an unnecessary detriment.

SilverSavio
2011-12-29, 05:05 PM
I see what you are saying here. Maybe I should make Throwing A Punch a fighter bonus feat along with the other feats in this thread?

Hanuman
2011-12-29, 05:35 PM
Sounds alot like the Ring the Golden Bell feat from Dragon Compendium. I'm AFB right now, but if I remember correctly, you can expend a Stunning Fist attempt to throw a punch a number of feet equal 5 * your Wisdom modifier. That sounds about right.
I'm not sure of the specifics, I remember it being about 30' and a viable fix to the monks melee-only problem.

I see what you are saying here. Maybe I should make Throwing A Punch a fighter bonus feat along with the other feats in this thread?
I'm not sure that fits the fighter's flavor, perhaps the Brawler by NeoSeraphi would make a better feat qualifier.

SiuiS
2011-12-29, 05:36 PM
I like it, though it does seem bland.

All I recap of ring the golden bell, is that it didn't seem worth the cost investment... Likewise, this feat requires power attack, improved unarmed strike and stunning fist, which for the effect (either extended reach of a ranged attack? I'm not clear on which) is kinda a lot.

If it turns the unarmed strike into a ranged attack, it's worth possible investment with ranged attack feats, especially since, say, a flaming sword still deals flaming sword damage, and iaijutsu focus is a monk skill... We would finally have the ability from anime to draw and swing a sword so fast, the cut flies through the air!

If it is instead sort of invisibly increasing your reach, then that's a different matter. All of a sudden, as a monk I throw a punch and have Scorpion's Grasp, I grapple someone accidentally, from a dozen feat away. It couldn't hold (unless you take "you enter your opponent's space when starting a grapple" literally, in which case I am now the Bionic Commando!) but the image of a monk running up, doing a dramatic spin kick and capturing his for in a tornado of force is pretty boss.

Ultimately, if you want to avoid any of the stuff I've brought up (why would you though, this is awesome!) then I would suggest making in like earth slash from final fantasy tactics; each five feet is actually an area attack which uses an attack roll. So if a monk drops 6 points of power attack, he punches and the ground explodes with force, hitting EVERYONE in the next six squares.

Regardless, I'm sending this to some friends of mine, to see if we can integrate it into our games. It's pretty awesome. I'll read your feat tree in a minute. But anything that makes me excited to play a monk is good.

SilverSavio
2011-12-29, 08:15 PM
Okay I just altered the way Monks get range for the attacks. Let me know what you think.

I'm also reconsidering the effects that Improved and Supreme Throwing A Punch can do. I'm thinking of having Improved give you the ability to hit all the in a line for your attack. And for Supreme have it be an area affect strike.

**Edit 1** I also made this feat set in mind to be used with the Brawler class by NeoSeraphi. I'm a big supporter of it, and I love that homebrew.