PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics of Spirit world

Balor01
2011-12-24, 06:23 PM
So I am seriously thinking of making a campaign in Kamigawa (M:tg) setting, with emphasis on spirits. Spirits, that inhabit everything from weapons, candle-flames to Earth elements like lava, frost and storm.

What I'd appreciate is some ideas on how to pull off these spirits in 3.5 mechanics? Just using ghost template? Or does Playground have some better ideas?

tnx

deuxhero
2011-12-24, 07:16 PM
I'd imagine some FR book has the stuff you are looking for given how Reshemi lands are full of spirits.

DarkestKnight
2011-12-24, 07:28 PM
The spirits were the physical manifestation of things, and thus were mostly corporeal except for a few cases (Kami of the twisted reflection e.g) so making them ghosts or using the spectral templates isn't necessary though it would make for more memorable fights. Even the the demons were spirit if I recall, they just have some bad mojo going. In this case you could easily say they are spirits without changing anything. In Oriental Adventures they introduce the Spirit Subtype. It does nothing mechanically other than allow the monster to be the subject of spells that deal with spirits. It would be a very quick way to make it Spirit themed without having to track down odd creatures or make new ones, though you may want to refluff things just to give them that Kamigawa feel, declare miss chances due to the swarm of little spirits that follow some of the big spirits for example. Oriental Adventures has a slew of beasties that seem very fitting for the setting. Keep in mind if there is spirits in items, using animated items makes sense. Hope this helps, I'm curious as to how this turns out.

Curious
2011-12-24, 08:08 PM
The Bestiary 3 (Pathfinder) has exactly what you want. There is a new subtype of outsider known as Kami, that inhabit a 'ward', which is any object or animal with Int 2 or less. They can dwell within their ward, or leave it in a physical form to protect it. Wards can range from tiny statues or doorways, to looming mountains and waterfalls. It has just been released, so it should probably be easy to find.