PDA

View Full Version : New to Gestalt.

Garetek
2011-12-25, 01:32 AM
So we have brought in a new dm to our group, and to mix it up for us players he wants to run a gestalt. Looks and sounds cool, I believe there are four party members. I believe all books and source material is open, so my thoughts was to play a skill monkey fighter.

What jumps to mind for that. Human Factotem/??????? Only problem is I don't know what other thing to throw in there. I would be much happier not actually being sneaking around and hitting people where it counts than a front line fighter so was thinking of taking rogue 1/ swash 4/ Factotem 5. But alway looking for other and better ideas.

Please, and thanks in advance.

Psyren
2011-12-25, 01:35 AM
Warblade would be perfect there, do you have Tome of Battle?

Alternatively, a Monk with Kung-fu Genius on the other side to base its abilities (like AC and stunning fist) off of Intelligence.

Alterna-alternatively, a Psion/Slayer on the other side.

Garetek
2011-12-25, 01:37 AM
I do indeed. I have a case of books. Well its more a foot locker but yeah.

gorfnab
2011-12-25, 02:33 AM
Well gestalt means basically dual classing at each level.

Human

1. Factotum // Swashbuckler - Combat Expertise, EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible)
2. Factotum // Swashbuckler
3. Factotum // Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV) or Kung-Fu Genius (Dr?), B: Dodge
4. Factotum // Cobra Strike Monk - B: Mobility
5. Factotum // Swashbuckler
6. Factotum // Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Factotum // Thief Acrobat
8. Factotum // Thief Acrobat
9. Warblade // Thief Acrobat - Deadly Defense (CS)
10. Warblade // Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade // Duelist
12. Warblade // Duelist - Einhander (PHBII)
13. Warblade // Duelist - B: Ironheart Aura (ToB)
14. Warblade // Duelist
15. Warblade // Duelist - Robilars Gambit (PHBII)
16. Warblade // Duelist
17. Warblade // Duelist - B: Improved Initiative or Blindfight
18. Warblade // Duelist - Stormguard Warrior (ToB)
19. Warblade // Duelist - B: Deflect Arrows
20. Warblade // Duelist

Basically this build is Int and Dex based with lots of Int synergy. This build also gets you an insane AC from fighting defensively and Int to AC twice (three times if you spend an Inspiration Point).

You can change around the number of Factotum and Warblade levels if necessary. You'll want a minimum of 3 levels of Factotum and 5 levels of Warblade. Changing around the levels of Warblade will affect when you get your bonus feats and access to maneuvers and stances.

If you can't get the Broadblade Shortsword move Combat Reflexes to 1st level and take Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) at 6th. If you can get flaws take Combat Expertise, Deadly Defense, Combat Reflexes, and EWP: Broadblade Shortsword at 1st level; Versatile Unarmed Strike at 6th; and Snapkick (ToB) at 9th.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-25, 03:47 AM
I'm fond of Swashbuckler 3/Monk 2/Paladin 2 (Serenity)/Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1/Chameleon X to load all of your abilities onto INT and WIS and then pump them into the stratosphere.

If you're allowed to use Paizo, Factotum//Swashbuckler 3/Sage Sorcerer 7/Swiftblade 10. Dual 7s, Sorcerer for spam spells and Factotum for utility.

Paizo also offers you Hospitaler//Archaeologist which is smooth and deadly on all sorts of levels.

Garetek
2011-12-26, 09:39 PM
Is there anything that could go with factotum for let's say heals. We have one player that wants to do a rogue fighter, eventually ghost face killer. Anothe that is doing some sort of battle caster, and another that is doing a high def build. So we have to bring in other terms. A tank ad two dps but no heals.

Hunter Noventa
2011-12-26, 10:32 PM
Is there anything that could go with factotum for let's say heals. We have one player that wants to do a rogue fighter, eventually ghost face killer. Anothe that is doing some sort of battle caster, and another that is doing a high def build. So we have to bring in other terms. A tank ad two dps but no heals.

Factotum already has some healing, but if you find yourself needing more and can use Paizo material, the Witch is a full-arcane class, int based, with access to healing spells.

For WotC material, the Archivist is an int-based divine caster, with the most power potential of any divine class.

Psyren
2011-12-26, 11:22 PM
Please note that you don't need a dedicated healing class in D&D, and especially not in Gestalt when everyone has the HP, saves, abilities and items to just soak things until they can get patched up out of combat.

If someone wants to be a healer though, you've got plenty of options. Egoist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm) with a dip in Sangehirn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) is a great int-based healer that will go great with Factotum and can do many, many other things when healing isn't needed.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-27, 02:43 AM
Cloistered Cleric/RSoP/Sacred Exorcist//Factotum. Divine metamagic abuse.
Domains: Sun, Law (trade for devotion), knowledge (trade for devotion). Take Travel devotion when you can. Additionally, extend, persist, DMM:Persist, heighten, DMM:Heighten and I think you'll be golden.

Even if you don't have a high intelligence, factotum will help you out a lot.
At levels 5/10/15/20, factotum grants you more turn undead attempts. What, 3+WIS modifier each time?

You'll have 3+cha from cleric. 3+cha greater turning from RSoP. Sacred exorcist grants turning (might be intended for arcane SE's, and not stack with cleric/rsop). Factotum will grant 6+double wis mod. And of course you've got extra turning (RSoP prereq) for another 4 turns per day.

With that, you don't even need a lot of nightsticks for extra turn undead attempts.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-27, 10:42 AM
Honestly, Factotum gestalts well with frigging anything. Anything at all.

dspeyer
2011-12-27, 10:42 AM
You can do a little healing as a warblade using Martial Study (devoted spirit). You might want to take go crusader 2 / warblade 8 so that you don't need to worry about prerequisites.

Suddo
2011-12-27, 10:52 AM
Factotum is an obvious choice. Especially for a skill monkey. I'd also go Wizard because you can solve most problems, often without use of skills, just via that. Getting Divine Magic and Ruby Knight Vindicator helps you abuse the action economy even more than just Factotum.

Oh and what stats and are you allowed Flaws? And ask your DM how he will apply Level Adjustment.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-27, 02:30 PM

Yup.
Gives lots of passive bonuses and options that don't require you to spend an action on them. Part of why wizard//archivist gestalts don't get as much of a boost over straight wiz/arch/theurge builds as most people would expect.
Also, gotta make sure you don't lose access to (or invalidate) too many class features when you gestalt the classes together.
ex:
Cleric//fighter.
Advantages of fighter: Good fort, good bab, good HD, weapon+armor proficiencies. Feats.
Cleric has same or better saves. Gets good bab from a spell. Can heal himself, so lower HD doesn't matter.
If you're emphasizing the cleric side of the build, then the fighter side doesn't offer very much. Making it a fairly weak gestalt.
Now try cleric//factotum.
Factotum adds the following: Good reflex save, skills, skill points, trapfinding. And all the neat little bonuses you get from your inspiration points.
You don't need to put any feats or items into factotum to make it useful.

Psyren
2011-12-27, 02:47 PM

Also Binder, Incarnate, Totemist...