PDA

View Full Version : Psionic - Magic transperacy definitions

Raendyn
2011-12-25, 06:54 AM
What about the crafting feats?

many things that in the psioninc things use Craft Universal Item, in the MIC they use Wondrous. Does this mean that the feats are identical?

What about CL-ML, does the CL qualify for the "Affects spells, and potencially psionics" ? In the items equovalencies in the XPH, does the +CL ioun stone skipped on purpose?

What about rods? Are they supposed to affect powers, and that's why there is not an equivalent? Or the fact that there is no equivalent while for most other things there are, means that rods are not ment to be available to psionic characters by default?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe I'll edit more...

Psyren
2011-12-25, 01:08 PM
Before I answer your questions, here is the transparency rule: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicsMagicTransparenc y)

"Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas."

To your questions:

What about the crafting feats?

many things that in the psioninc things use Craft Universal Item, in the MIC they use Wondrous. Does this mean that the feats are identical?

Transparency does not normally extend to feats (they are not covered by the rule above.) However, two of the crafting feats (Craft Universal Item, and Craft Psionic Arms & Armor) were given an exception in Magic Item Compendium - these can be used just fine with their magical equivalents.

What about CL-ML, does the CL qualify for the "Affects spells, and potencially psionics" ? In the items equovalencies in the XPH, does the +CL ioun stone skipped on purpose?

Items are subject to transparency (see above.) This means that any +CL item will also affect ML unless specifically stated otherwise.

What about rods? Are they supposed to affect powers, and that's why there is not an equivalent? Or the fact that there is no equivalent while for most other things there are, means that rods are not ment to be available to psionic characters by default?

Depends on the rod in question. Metamagic rods simply apply the feat for instance, and therefore won't affect psionics. A Rod of Cancellation, however, will drain psionic and magical items alike.

Raendyn
2011-12-26, 06:49 AM
Transparency does not normally extend to feats (they are not covered by the rule above.) However, two of the crafting feats (Craft Universal Item, and Craft Psionic Arms & Armor) were given an exception in Magic Item Compendium - these can be used just fine with their magical equivalents.
interesting, I have missed that. What about spell prereq's?

Edit: Found it in MIC

Items are subject to transparency (see above.) This means that any +CL item will also affect ML unless specifically stated otherwise.

For some reason, my DM thinks that CL is not something directly affecting spells. and as such he denies me the luxury of transparency. His argument is that, CL is something refered inside particular spells, and not a mechanism of the spells by itself... I'll have to work on this...

Thaks for your reply mate!:smallsmile: