PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Optimizing a Half-Fiend Unarmed Fighter

paurpg
2011-12-25, 07:52 AM
Ok, so I have an idea for a character in a game I'm thinking about. He would basically by a demon-like unarmed fighter. I thought maybe a half-fiend template would work fine but then I'm not sure what class (monk or fighter or swordsage) he should be or if should use Tome of Battle or not because he would less maneuvers due to his Level Adjustment. Any ideas?

gkathellar
2011-12-25, 07:55 AM
Unarmed Swordsage is always the right answer, as is Talashtora.

I suggest using a Lesser Tiefling, rather than Half-Fiend, and just fluff him as having much stronger demonic heritage.

paurpg
2011-12-25, 10:46 AM
Lesser tiefling is nice, but I sort of like the spell resistance the half-fiend gets though...

Daftendirekt
2011-12-25, 10:57 AM
Yeah, do you like the LA +4 as well? Not worth it for spell resistance. Just buy a magic item for that.

gkathellar
2011-12-25, 11:06 AM
^This is a wise man.

And if you're really attached to scaling spell resistance, go the Talashtora route and grab Magic Mantle (either with Psychic Warrior and the Mantled Warrior ACF, or with Ardent). This nets you Power Resistance.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-25, 11:08 AM
Spell resistance is a tool for NPC's not players as it alsl inhibits your ability to recieve buffs, yes SR applies even for a lowly cure-light wounds.

And either way if you go lesser tiefling you could also take the Half fiend Progression class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) (scroll down) and just take the levels at level 3, 6, 9 and twelve spending some XP to buy back the level adjustment.

You could fluff it as him unlocking his demonic heritage, becoming stronger at the cost of his "humanity"

paurpg
2011-12-25, 11:37 AM
In reply to spell resistance not being for players, it doesnt affect his own spells or items, and I'm not counting on having other people casting spells on him.
Is there really an affordable magical item that grants spell resistance comparable to the half-fiend?
>I'll look into the magic mantle thing.

JadePhoenix
2011-12-25, 01:21 PM
Warlocks are pretty good natural weapon fighters with Eldritch Claw. Tieflings qualify for Mortal Hunter - and Mortal Hunters get Claw of the Overfiend.
I have a guy in my game with a Tiefling/Ranger going into Mortal Hunter with his next level. His damage output is very respectable, specially since we houserules Practiced Spellcaster to increase eldritch blast's damage. He also has a monk's belt.

TroubleBrewing
2011-12-25, 04:27 PM
You can pretty easily refluff Totemist as Demonic in nature.

Seriously, avoid Half-Fiend like the plague.

paurpg
2011-12-27, 03:35 PM
Ok, you guys have convinced me into taking a swords sage tiefling.

TroubleBrewing
2011-12-27, 05:38 PM
Lesser Tiefling. You don't want that LA +1 for some crappy 1/day SLA's.

Rubik
2011-12-27, 08:47 PM
Lesser Tiefling. You don't want that LA +1 for some crappy 1/day SLA's.And if you want the Outsider type, just take the Otherworldly feat.

Or you could make an evil neraph.

Little Brother
2011-12-28, 06:43 AM
One of the Fiendish Codices has a weird demony race that is quite good, IIRC. Eeither -2 int(which, as a Swordsage doesn't hurt, but could be irritating as a Tash PsyWar) +2 Con, and a bunch of bonus feats, which can pick up things such as a limited times/day Blindsight and fear aura, or you can get NA and limited healing, OR you can get -2 con +2 Cha and darkvision and later telepathy. Also, you can use Evil items regardless of alignment. Overall a very nice race IMO.

GodGoblin
2011-12-28, 07:22 AM
One of the Fiendish Codices has a weird demony race that is quite good, IIRC. Eeither -2 int(which, as a Swordsage doesn't hurt, but could be irritating as a Tash PsyWar) +2 Con, and a bunch of bonus feats, which can pick up things such as a limited times/day Blindsight and fear aura, or you can get NA and limited healing, OR you can get -2 con +2 Cha and darkvision and later telepathy. Also, you can use Evil items regardless of alignment. Overall a very nice race IMO.

Ah yeah the Hellbred, cool race its pretty much what to play if you want to be the main guy from The Crow :smallcool:

gkathellar
2011-12-28, 07:54 AM
Body Hellbred are generally pretty good, receiving a bunch of Abyssal Heritor bonus feats over the course of their levels. If they have someone to cast Shun the Dark Chaos on them, all the better (they don't even half to do the Shuffle!).

Soul Hellbred are amazing for Necropolitan charisma-based casters, far exceeding the abundant other +2 Cha/-2 Con races because they let you skip Mindbender and still get Mindsight.

paurpg
2011-12-31, 09:48 AM
Dm doesnt allow fiendish codices.
I'm convinced about the lesser tiefling unarmed swordsage.
Here are my ideas:
Feats: shadow hand, improved unarmed strike, superior unarmed strike, imp. disarm, imp. grapple, improved natural attack,
He lets us have 36 point buy so i was thinking 18 wisdom and 18 dexterity. But then I only get low constitution and strength so im not sure.
Any sugestions

Greenish
2011-12-31, 12:06 PM
Imp. Disarm requires Combat Expertise, and even if it didn't, it's not really worth burning a feat for. Use that feat for Snap Kick, say.

18 Dex before racial modifiers might be worth it, but for wisdom it probably isn't (unless you focus on wisdom, but then why are you boosting Dex so much?). I'm not that fond of coughing up the points for an 18 on a class that can use several stats. Remember, Shadow Blade adds Dex to damage in addition to Str, and you never dump Con unless going undead.

Wiggins
2011-12-31, 01:01 PM
If you really want to disarm people, you could either take a level in Warblade or the Martial Study feat to get Disarming Strike.

paurpg
2011-12-31, 01:31 PM
on page 30 of ToB it says shadow blade makes you add dex mod instead of strength to damage, which is confusing because everyone talks about like if it said you add both.
i look into the disarming strike thing with warblade

Greenish
2011-12-31, 01:46 PM
on page 30 of ToB it says shadow blade makes you add dex mod instead of strength to damage, which is confusing because everyone talks about like if it said you add both.The general rule for precedence is "text over table". The actual description of Shadow Blade (page 32) is the correct one.

[Edit]: Or, well, at least the RAW one.